Why become a member? ×

Randy Hope Taylor Sei Bass

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEI-BASS-4-STRING-BASS-GUITAR-/251093741351?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3a765a6f27"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEI-BASS-4-STRING-BASS-GUITAR-/251093741351?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3a765a6f27[/url]

Love this.

It looks gorgeous. Love the retro Sei decal.
I would never normally go for a white neck, but it really works on this bass.
Re. the toilet seat comment - just because there is paint there, do you think it will not play smoothly? It probably has a similar laquer on the paint that most other natural necks have. I'd imagine MP would know what works and what doesn't with these things.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1340609949' post='1706794']

Why? What do you mean?
[/quote]
I like a satin finish wooden neck. From the photos the finish on that necks looks cold and plasticky ie like a toilet seat. I Don't like white pickups either. The whole look of the bass simply doesn't float my boat and I am a jazz fan.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1340614867' post='1706862']
I like a satin finish wooden neck. From the photos the finish on that necks looks cold and plasticky ie like a toilet seat. I Don't like white pickups either. The whole look of the bass simply doesn't float my boat and I am a jazz fan.
[/quote]

Fair enough if you don't like the look, but a gloss finish doesn't change the feel of the neck.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1340617347' post='1706905']
I kinda like the bass bar the headstock...[/quote]

+1 It offends my sense of chronological order. The 51-type Precision headstock had been replaced by the 57-type 'Strat' style by 59/60 when the first Jazzes appeared.

Yes, I [i]know [/i]it's not a Fender, etc but it just looks wrong doesn't it? Eh? Eh? :huh:

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1340615513' post='1706872']

Fair enough if you don't like the look, but a gloss finish doesn't change the feel of the neck.
[/quote]
In my guitar playing days I had a Yamaha sg with a black painted neck. Lovely guitar but it always felt cold and I never connected with it. I'm the same with hi gloss natural finish necks. I don't mind them but my preference is satin finish. This neck albeit a fine one looks artificial and I'm an earthy kinda guy.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1340617855' post='1706916']
+1 It offends my sense of chronological order. The 51-type Precision headstock had been replaced by the 57-type 'Strat' style by 59/60 when the first Jazzes appeared.

Yes, I [i]know [/i]it's not a Fender, etc but it just looks wrong doesn't it? Eh? Eh? :huh:
[/quote]

Yup.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1340617855' post='1706916']

[/quote]
Yes it does look wrong. I couldn't imagine a bloke playing that guitar. I can see a fit bird playin it and looking awesome but it's all a bit 'barbi-ish' and really not to my taste.

Edited by the boy

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1340618314' post='1706931']
...[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]couldn't imagine a bloke playing that guitar...[/font][/color]it's all a bit 'barbi-ish' and really not to my taste.[/quote]

I reckon Ken could get away with it though, don't you think? :D

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1340618168' post='1706925']
In my guitar playing days I had a Yamaha sg with a black painted neck. Lovely guitar but it always felt cold and I never connected with it. I'm the same with hi gloss natural finish necks. I don't mind them but my preference is satin finish. This neck albeit a fine one looks artificial and I'm an earthy kinda guy.
[/quote]

I suppose... It's not been my experience. All the guitars and basses I use regularly have painted and gloss finished necks and they all fine great to me. Then again the cheapest of these cost $999 and most of the others much more so maybe the poor feeling gloss necks only occur on cheaper instruments?

I have a couple of basses with satin finish necks and besides looking wrong to me if the neck doesn't match the body, they feel rough and uncomfortable.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1340626423' post='1707161']

I suppose... It's not been my experience. All the guitars and basses I use regularly have painted and gloss finished necks and they all fine great to me. Then again the cheapest of these cost $999 and most of the others much more so maybe the poor feeling gloss necks only occur on cheaper instruments?

I have a couple of basses with satin finish necks and besides looking wrong to me if the neck doesn't match the body, they feel rough and uncomfortable.
[/quote]
Rough and uncomfortable? Toughen up man.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1340633822' post='1707328']
Rough and uncomfortable? Toughen up man.
[/quote]

Actually the fact that they look sh*t bothers me more than the feel. Necks should match bodies for colour IMO. At some point if I decide to keep the basses in question I'll get them refinished in an appropriate glossy colour to match the rest of the bass. And now we're way off topic...

After the less than positive remarks I had to have a second look - even though I'm not a great Jazz lover I still think that this is a lovely looking bass - being a SEI you can be fairly certain of the quality - can't you?? The price will, of course, go through the roof with seconds to go..

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1340637133' post='1707388']

Actually the fact that they look sh*t bothers me more than the feel. Necks should match bodies for colour IMO. At some point if I decide to keep the basses in question I'll get them refinished in an appropriate glossy colour to match the rest of the bass. And now we're way off topic...
[/quote]
Horses for courses baby.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1340617347' post='1706905']
Is that a white polyestered neck a la Larry Graham? I kinda like the bass bar the headstock :(
[/quote]

I've played this, albeit a good few years ago, at The Gallery. I remember the neck being very thick glossy white and it put me off at the time. However, it really was ages ago so my memory might be failing me!

I bought a different Randy Hope-Taylor instead, a Modulus Flea custom.

I agree about the headstock, by far my least favourite part of this :(