Why become a member? ×

Shipping and Packaging tips please

toneknob

Hi,

I'm looking for any recommendations or cautionary tales you have for shipping heavy and large items to the continent. I have a buyer lined up to buy a bulky item from me, weight 25kg and measuring 700 x 600 x 250 mm in its flight case.

The buyer has chosen the delivery service, so I want to package the item as securely as possible so to avoid in-transit damage. For an item this big, do you have any tips for places to buy packaging?

Thanks!

If it's an amp, I'd pack the spaces between the amp and rack so that it can't move and bend the rack ears.

I'd tape the lids on, wrap the whole thing in bubble wrap, with extra protection at the corners, and put that lot in a strong box.

I'd also insure it.

ps

In the past I've also used polystyrene sheet as protection.

Edited by chris_b

Thanks - where would you get the strong box?

Also, I've considered insurance - but seeing as money will have changed hands by this point, isn't it the buyers concern?

Edited by toneknob

For a guitar I used a bicycle box.

For amps I was recently looking at the boxes you can get from storage companies like the Big Yellow Shelf Storage, etc. If the box was too tall I'd cut it to size and use lots of tape. But for smaller, lighter amps I've used PC boxes and bubble wrap.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1340099343' post='1698941']
... in its flight case.

[/quote]

Did you mean that?

If so, not much packaging needed, surely? Just wedge plenty of foam or newspaper around the amp to keep it rigidly in place, tape the handles (as per chris_ B), and stick a label on it.

Oooh - look what happens when you type the chris_b user name inside brackets. :D

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1340100803' post='1698962']
Did you mean that?

If so, not much packaging needed, surely? Just wedge plenty of foam or newspaper around the amp to keep it rigidly in place, tape the handles (as per chris_ B), and stick a label on it.

Oooh - look what happens when you type the chris_b user name inside brackets. :D
[/quote]

Yes, I meant it. When I say "flight case" I mean "case sturdy enough to protect the item when used by someone who knows what they're doing and has a vested interest in whatever's inside"

It's not something I'd want to write an address on, stick on a stamp and cross my fingers.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1340100656' post='1698958']
Or contact a local music shop, see if they have a suitable box about to go in their skip. I`ve sourced a few boxes this way.
[/quote]

Really good idea - thanks.

Golden rule - read the couriers own site to see what rules they have. If you don't follow them they won't pay out . It happened to me; royal mail insist on a hard case for all instruments . If you don't do that they won't pay in event of damage

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1340134921' post='1699823']
Golden rule - read the couriers own site to see what rules they have. If you don't follow them they won't pay out . It happened to me; royal mail insist on a hard case for all instruments . If you don't do that they won't pay in event of damage
[/quote]

Yep, it's going in a hard case, but I'm packing that inside delivery-quality packaging as well.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1340134921' post='1699823']
royal mail insist on a hard case for all instruments . If you don't do that they won't pay in event of damage
[/quote]

I thought - according to reports on here - that Royal Mail don't pay out for instruments full stop? Even after counter-staff have talked you into bumping up the cover?

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1340178232' post='1700265']
Yep, it's going in a hard case, but I'm packing that inside delivery-quality packaging as well.
[/quote]
Read ParcelForce's website carefully - there is a specific point abut the hardcase forming part of the packaging - you have to take further steps if you want to be able to claim for damage to the hardcase.
Have a look at the market place forum - theres a lengthy sticky thread about this on there [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/156589-couriers-packing/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/156589-couriers-packing/[/url]- i posted the link there after my own bad experience.

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1340187959' post='1700552']
Read ParcelForce's website carefully - there is a specific point abut the hardcase forming part of the packaging - you have to take further steps if you want to be able to claim for damage to the hardcase.
Have a look at the market place forum - theres a lengthy sticky thread about this on there [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/156589-couriers-packing/"]http://basschat.co.u...uriers-packing/[/url]- i posted the link there after my own bad experience.
[/quote]

Thanks - is this the document? [url="http://www.parcelforce.com/sites/default/files/Packaging%20guidelines%20Final%20300412.pdf"]http://www.parcelforce.com/sites/default/files/Packaging%20guidelines%20Final%20300412.pdf[/url] (the link from your post is dead).

Useful info there in both Electrical /Electronic Items and Guitar categories - cool!