Why become a member? ×

Best Synth Pedal for me?

Onox

Hey Folks,

i need your advice. I´m looking for a cool synth Pedal for my board and I don´t realy have an overview about the market and all the different models.

I would only play it with 4 String Basses and mostly for funk/soul/disco sounds. Maybe sometimes some Rock-Riffs...

The Deep Impact seems to be THE synth for bass. The G5 is also very famous. But whats about the current available Pedals like the Markbass Super Synth?

Thanks for your help!

There seem to be three types of bass synth effects:

1. Effects that take your bass sound and distort, octave and filter it (Korg G5, EHX Bass Microsynth, Digitech Bass Synth Wah, Sibob's modular). Because these don't follow your bass's pitch as such (except the octavers), they often track well, but they sound a bit fuzzy and gritty. Good for 70's analog synth sounds.

2. Pedals that track the pitch of your playing and generate a synth waveform (Akai Deep Impact, Markbass Super Synth, Boss SYB 5, Chunk Systems Octavius Squeezer). These have oscillators like those in analog or digital synths that follow your bass's pitch. Tracking is sometimes a problem, especially on low notes or open strings, but these sound more like a real synth, and some can cop 80's 90's etc bass sounds better.

3. Individual piezo pickups on your bass combined with a unit like the Roland GR55 that models the signal into a synth (amongst other) sounds. Tracking is supposed to be very good and you can do many other things - model different basses, amps, effects etc. You can also drive a MIDI synth, but here there is a tracking issue with low notes again.

They all have their pros and cons. I have a EHX Bass Microsynth - it's great, fun to use because it has lots of sliders to play with, but it always sounds kinda dirty, and you can't switch between different sounds. I also have the Markbass Super Synth which sounds big and fat and is programmable, but you need to plug it into a computer to edit the sounds. Plus the modular approach Sibob mentioned.

I'd try as many as you can in a shop before buying, see what suits you, your songs and playing style the best.

I used to have a Digitech Synth Wah (sold recently on here). To be honest I found it a bit too 'no nonsense', I struggled to really find a practical use for it without completely taking over the overall mix of the band, seems like you need to spend some serious cash to get anything tameable! Then again, tameable might not be what you want! I'd say you're best off firstly thinking of what songs you're going to use the pedal on, then get a rough idea of what sound you're after then look for that. My main mistake buying the synth wah in the first place was plugging it in, and thinking wow this sounds reeeeeally cool, buying it, then never really finding a practical use for it.

He Guys,
i bought a G5. It should arrive next week and I gonna post a little review here. :)

My feeling is that I´ll realy dig the option to save sounds. A synth is such a special effect, i can´t imagine to only have on sound at time.

A lot of it depends on what waveforms you need. Most bass synth sounds are based on square or saw wave forms. Synth pedals will cover one or both of these. Then the rest of it depends on whether patches you like a pre programmed or whether you have the option of tweaking.

I've been lobbying Eventide to release a bass synth pedal that uses the tech in their Pitchfactor pedal but without the irrelevant stuff. The tracking is as good as the Deep Impact. But so much potential.

Thanks for the input Guys!
Yeah, a Deep Impact would have been cool but its so hard to find and very expensive (and you can´t save any sounds). But maybe someday I got a chance to try one.

Had anyone the chance to compare the Markbass Super Synth to the G5?

[quote name='Onox' timestamp='1340299020' post='1702565']
Thanks for the input Guys!
Yeah, a Deep Impact would have been cool but its so hard to find and very expensive (and you can´t save any sounds). But maybe someday I got a chance to try one.

Had anyone the chance to compare the Markbass Super Synth to the G5?
[/quote]

When I asked this question I was sent the following link;

http://www.cgraham.com/chris/music/

Though he much prefered the G5 I liked the sounds I heard of the MBSS and the form factor ended in me choosing that.

[quote name='such' timestamp='1340315343' post='1702896']
does anyone has any experience with Tech21 Red Ripper? Some fragments of youtube clips sound very promising, but mostly they concentrate on the fuzz/distortion aspect of the pedal...
[/quote]

i had one for a while, it's a synthy/envelopey kind of fuzz with a massive amount of volume boost on tap.

sold or maybe traded mine to Shep.

i wouldn't call it a synth pedal though, i'd liken it to the 'prunes and custard' (a bit)

Thanks for the review, real nice reviews!

Jamiroquai got cool synth sounds, Deeper Underground is also very cool! I read that Stuart Zender used a Boss ME6B for his synth sounds, mabe ist worth a try too.

A friend of mine said that a EQ-Padal after the G5 helps for "fattening up" the sound.

Ed Friedland made a cool review abaou the Brown Dog and Agent Funk, they sound realy cool together: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgjtX5GmonE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgjtX5GmonE[/url]

Any thoughts on the Octavius Squeezer?

The O.S. sounds excellent, has a massive pile of options for manipulating the filter (it's only missing external control [exp. pedal / CV]), 50-patch memory, great fuzz, lots of mixing options, the VCO tracking is a bit too quirky to be useful but IMO if you use filters a lot it's a cracking pedal. The main complaint people make about it is that it's difficult to program, and to be fair the interface is fairly arcane but the manual is excellent. And personally I would rather have the fiddly interface in a small pedal than a massive pedal with a better interface.

The O.S. and the EHX Bass Micro Synth (the older 24v model, not the new 9.6v one) are my favourite 'synth' pedals. The BMS just sounds enormous.

[indent=1]ive got a pigtronix mothership for sale if you want that?[/indent]

[indent=1]its a mega synth!![/indent]

[indent=1]also got a bit of a battered XO BMS that might be a bit broken that id let go for cheap, last time i used it the attack slider didnt work[/indent]

[indent=1]other than those, ive found the markbass synth to be really good, but a pain to edit on a PC[/indent]

Edited by Ant

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1340378387' post='1703760']What are your opinions on the BMS Classic vs BMS XO?

Si[/quote]

The XO model just doesn't sound as good. If you plug both in side-by-side you won't want the XO model. Also the XO is more difficult to use because the sliders are shorter, and the taper on the Rate slider doesn't seem to be very appropriate. Also the sliders move more easily, which I think is a bad thing. But most of all it's the sound - the old one simply sounds better. I sold my first one to buy the XO, but quickly sold the XO and bought another old one.