Why become a member? ×

Help me pick some pick ups from the pick ups I've picked.

Jimryan

Hi all,

After a 3 month stint of unemployment, I've started working again :-D and to celebrate, the other half has said I can treat myself to "bass things". In aforementioned new job, I do a lot of walking around(actually part of the job not dossing of). As a result, I've planned what "bass things" to reward myself with.

Being as what I'm after isn't stock. I've decided to go down the route I've starting my first build (don't panic, a build diary with pics will be started). I've planned near on everything, except the neck (but that's the easy one) and the electrics.

Now, the electrics is an area I'm not very good at. I've settled for MM style pickups.

They'll be used for playing funk, jazz and rock. The main sound I go for is similar to Flea's. I want something with lots of thunderous, rattly bass, plenty of clarity and trebles that sing, but can turn aggressive if required (well it made sense in my head).

I'm not restricted to those above, so I'm open to other suggestions.

I plan to have a neck and a bridge one.

As for a pre I just want the controls of 2 volume (or stacked), bass, treble and mids (again, stacked is fine).

As mentioned before, electrics aren't my strong point, I've only ever used stock gear and if it helps I love the sound my '96 American deluxe jazz (the one with Suhr pickups) but it some areas, lacks the aggression. I'm open to passive suggestions, but the sound would have to be spot on as I prefer to use my amps eq flat and make minor adjustments onboard when I need to.

Hopefully I've covered everything and thanks for any help brought forward.

James

Edited by Jimryan

Likewise, I've only heard good reviews on them, I was more curious about the others and any others people might suggest. A mate put EMG's in his guitar and loves them. Whenever I've read pickup discussions on here though normally mention Nordstrands and my local shop can only suggest "you can't go wrong with basslines" regardless of the question(s) you ask about said pickups.

If these are your criteria

[quote]something with lots of thunderous, rattly bass, plenty of clarity and trebles that sing, but can turn aggressive if required[/quote]

I'd say transplant the electronics from an L2000 into whatever you're building and you'll be set. Maybe change the pickup selector switch for a blend pot though :)

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1339950029' post='1696647']
I knew I forgot to mention something...

If I can, I'd like to avoid a blend pot as I can't stand the things. Cheers for the suggestion though :-)
[/quote]I've spent the last few days getting to know a L2000 and the one thing I'd change is the selector switch, I'd love a blend pot in it. Different strokes for different folks though :D

On the positive side, the sound out of it is pehnomenal even without one. Possibly not as versatile as legend would have you believe but the pickups and EQ really work well together and are very responsive to how you play. Take it easy and it really cleans up, dig in and unleash actual thunder. I like it a lot.

From the sort of sounds you say you want, I'd go for the same setup on my Sandberg Ken Taylor: Delano MM 'buckers (not sure exactly what they are, but I'm guessing they're ceramic), and a Glockenklang 3 band with active/passive and coil split switch. Love it!

Wot? No Bartolini?

And.... Do you intend to have MMHB/MMHB as your pick-up configuration? J/MMHB works well too.
And have you considered series/parallel/single coil switching?
MEC TwinJazz are great pick-ups.... But they're stupidly expensive. It'd be cheaper to get a donor Warwick.

This build (I've already started planning others. Damn this is addictive) will feature MMHB MMHB config.

Barts were considered as I loved the sound an old bass had with them and a Mk1 pre. As for series/parallel, that's lost on me. In the past, I know electrics as far as eq, volume and tone. So any info will help. It's somewhat frustrating as I feel as if I've just started again by not having a clue with the electronics.

I'm sure someone else is better qualified to explain the concept/electronics behind series/parallel/single coil switching than I am.
It's used in some popular production basses that use either single or dual MMHB pick-ups.
For Example;
Musicman Sterling
Musicman Stingray 5H
Warwick Corvette/Streamer $$

The basic idea is that it changes the way the coils of the pick-up are wired together and consequently alters the tone.
Series and Parallel settings both still reject hum/noise, too.
Parallel is the standard means of wiring a MMHB (think Musicman Stingray), and gives the characteristic, slightly scooped sound.
Series wiring gives a hotter output (the Musicmans have a resistor in the signal path to match the signal to Parallel levels) and rolls off the bottom and top a bit (so more mid)... But does it pack a punch!
Single coil would be just half the pick-up (one row of polepieces and one coil) Sounds like a soloed jazz pick-up, but can be prone to noise. Some MMHBs have a third "phantom" coil to help reject hum.

I sort of get it now.

Reading that, I get the idea that for this bass I want the MMHB type (neck and bridge), with the option to switch between series and parallel. I'm still undecided on if active pickups will be used/needed, but defo an active pre. Other than output does 18v bear any other advantages?

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1339948594' post='1696616']
you can't go wrong with emg's. i haven't heard anybody say that they were ever substandard.
[/quote] no good well made pickups. You'll find plenty that won't like the tone ;)