Why become a member? ×

A Fender Precision enigma...

leroybasslines

I've recently been doing some volunteering with a charity called Changing Tunes (http://www.changingtunes.org.uk/ if you're interested. You can hear me playing on the Beatles fund raising album in the Music section...if you're still interested!). They help prisoners and ex-prisoners get themselves sorted out by teaching music in prisons and organising bands and events when they get out. It's a great charity that have amazing success at helping people not to re-offend and to have a little hope.

Anyway, we've just starting a jam session evening for ex-prisoners in Bristol and I volunteered to organise the bass stuff for the evening (there are usually loads of guitarists and no bass players...but I'm working on them!). I play a Lakland 5 string so one of the CT staff said he'd bring a 4 string bass in case anyone wanted a go and couldn't cope with the new fangled technology. They said it was a pretty crap Fender.

Nevertheless, I was intrigued to see the bass (I love mucking about on other people's gear!) and at the session I got it out of the case and had a go. I could tell it was old straight away - it's worn to say the least - but the guys were telling me that it was probably late 80s. It played pretty nice and has a good gritty P tone, although it definitely needs a good set up and some TLC. I checked the serial number on The Guitar Dater Project and it dates the instrument to 1975. Having done some research, I'm guessing the bass could have some value.

What I want to know is if any of you guys are experts in gauging the authenticity of vintage Ps and if you could offer any tips for valuing and dating it with more certainty. The serial number is on the neck plate and strikes me as being a very easy thing to forget or recreate to hike the value of a bass! It is well used, I suspect it's had some dodgy paint work done on it and the pups are not original although I'm told the ones it came with are lying around somewhere (!). It has Schaller machines.

If the bass does have value (say of a grand and up) I'd seriously advise the charity to flog it, buy a cheaper but very playable equivalent instrument - say a Squire - that would be more appropriate for learners in prison and use the change to get some more stuff that could be much more useful for their work long term.

If it's any use, I'm happy to make an effort and upload some pictures. It's just that I'm a bit lazy.

So, yeah. Any thoughts would be most welcome!

Cheers,
Liam

Why sell it now unless you're immediately stuck for cash? It's only going to appreciate in value and, in my opinion, basses are there to be played, even old ones. It might be something worth keeping to help your organisation out in a time of need in the future.

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1339871703' post='1695779']
Why sell it now unless you're immediately stuck for cash? It's only going to appreciate in value and, in my opinion, basses are there to be played, even old ones. It might be something worth keeping to help your organisation out in a time of need in the future.
[/quote]
True, but knowing its value and verifying its authenticity will still be useful if they need cash now or in the future! Believe me, I'm playing the arse of it - they've lent it to me to investigate. If it's [i]really [/i]valuable they're not having it back...

If you can get hold of it and are reasonably confident working with basses then maybe get the neck off and see if there are any neck stamps or stickers / dates in the neck pocket.

Also remove the pickguard and make a note of the serial numbers of the pots.

Might start finding things that match and that'll give you a lot more confidence about accurately dating it.

Ricks Fine '52 is a real whizz at dating old Fenders - he'll be able to help too.

If you don't fancy taking it apart then even a decent set of pics will be a good starting point :)

If it's close to original and truss rod works, neck is OK etc and even with aftermarket pickups, then it'll definitely go over a grand for '75.

Thanks for all your thoughts so far. Regarding pics, I've just spent an hour or so in front of the footie taking pics, removing neck and scratch plate and putting it all back together again. Some lovely photos...but as there was no memory card in the camera you'll have to wait until tomorrow when I'll try again!

Bum.

Right. After much faffing about I've managed to work my camera. Please feel free to peruse these pics of the P and let me know what you think. Exterior shots first...with a tasteful polkadot background of course.

[attachment=110801:Fender P01.jpg]
[attachment=110802:Fender P02.jpg]
[attachment=110803:Fender P04.jpg]
[attachment=110804:Fender P05.jpg]
[attachment=110805:Fender P06.jpg]
[attachment=110806:Fender P08.jpg]
[attachment=110807:Fender P09.jpg]
[attachment=110808:Fender P10.jpg]
[attachment=110809:Fender P11.jpg]
[attachment=110810:Fender P23.jpg]

And here are the mysterious insides...

[attachment=110812:Fender P12.jpg]
[attachment=110813:Fender P13.jpg]
[attachment=110814:Fender P14.jpg]
[attachment=110816:Fender P15.jpg]
[attachment=110817:Fender P17.jpg] (Sticker on inside of scratch plate)
[attachment=110818:Fender P18.jpg]
[attachment=110819:Fender P19.jpg]
[attachment=110820:Fender P20.jpg]

Serial number makes it 1976.

Note: The logo change to a smaller font and different typeface, and the relocation of the serial number from neck plate to headstock didn't happen until later that year.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1340049581' post='1698361']
And I think the idea of selling it to raise cash for the charity makes more sense than using it IN the charity, as you suggested.
[/quote]

I think so! I think it's a bit like learning to drive in a Triumph Dolomite. Very nice but a bit pointless. A player would live a bass like this but most people would have no idea of its value.

At the moment I'm just researching the options and letting them know the facts. If it's worth their while, I think selling it and getting a decent learner bass and a nice amp and other bits and pieces is better than valuable relic!

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1340049411' post='1698357']
Changed pots, tuners, bridge and scratchplate. Is that paint in the bridge cover holes?
[/quote]
It is. It looks like a previous owner has tried to fill and then paint the holes for the bridge cover. Badly. How much impact on value does replaced hardware have?

I'm thinking the bass may have been refinished at some point. It's difficult to see in the photos, but some areas where the wood is exposed the paint looks quite thin, and without the white under coat black basses usually had. The 'thick skin' finish of Fenders at the time was named for a good reason.

It's still likely to draw interest, though I'd imagine it would push the price below a thousand. Not by much though. :)

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1340050278' post='1698378']
I'm thinking the bass may have been refinished at some point. It's difficult to see in the photos, but some areas where the wood is exposed the paint looks quite thin, and without the white under coat black basses usually had. The 'thick skin' finish of Fenders at the time was named for a good reason.[/quote]

I think you're right: the finish on the body is one of the reasons I was slightly suspicious of the bass's authenticity as a mid 70s Fender. The wear isn't necessarily incongruous for a 35+year old bass, but I've not seen a Fender wear in that way before. The finish has completely worn away at the usual points and crackled a bit around the edges on the back. The paint is very thin and, as far as I can tell, there's a thin layer of grey undercoat. It does look suitably road worn and hip, but if it were my bass I'd want it refinished and I'd get the pointless but cool looking bridge and pup covers back on there!