Why become a member? ×

Bass Body Terminology

skej21

Ive noticed recently that there seems to be constant confusion about the types of bass bodies and think we should clear it up once and for all! I also thought it was pretty straight forward but through recent threads it would appear not. Here's what I would class them as:

Acoustic/hollow body bass - A bass that produces its sound and tone from a resonating sound board and large acoustic chamber. The intended sound of the instrument is produced simply by the wood and pickups serve as a means to amplify the existing tonal qualities of the instrument. Examples - Double Bass

Semi-Acoustic/Hollow body bass - A bass that produces its sound partially through a more restricted sound board (usually due to bracing and centre neck blocks) with a smaller acoustic chamber and requires pickups to complete the overall intended sound of the instrument. Examples - Gibson ES335, Gretsch G6122 etc.

Solid body Electric bass - A bass that produces the majority of its sound by the electronics fitted with additional tonal subtleties provided by the choice of wood used. Examples - Fender, Warwick, Ibanez etc

Any other opinions or additions?

Edited by skej21

Seems straightforward, don't know how these would be muddled.

The sound is produced 'by' not 'via' electronics, but that's an irrelevant grammatical detail and pointing it out opens all my own writings to scrutiny it could not stand.

My personal opinion would be to remove the final comment on solid boded guitars regarding 'additional tonal subtleties'. I have found no actual evidence of this but evidence to the contrary.

But that's an old chestnut.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1339744392' post='1693506']
My personal opinion would be to remove the final comment on solid boded guitars regarding 'additional tonal subtleties'. I have found no actual evidence of this but evidence to the contrary.
[/quote]

Can't do that... All the luthiers would lose their income :P

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1339744392' post='1693506']

But that's an old chestnut.
[/quote]
Old it maybe, but I agree with you. So much about the wood is overstressed. You need good wood, sure, but to my mind, the weight is probably the thing you should be worrying about...
But then again, Freddie Tavares always said that the best solidbody guitar/bass would be a telgraph pole with strings.
Doubt Leo agreed with that, but there it is...
Certianly, in the early days, Fender cared more about how easy the wood was to work/finish than about any perceived tonal difference. i know that will upset many, but that's the way it actually was. There was, in the sense that we say it now, no such thing as 'tonewood'.

There definitely are tonewoods but for the acoustic instruments whose sound is dependant on their construction, but, in my opinion/experience, not relevant in electronic instruments.

I've used the example of plastic cases on Fender Rhodes pianos and mahogany cases for Hammond organs. Surely the mahogany of the Leslie is more important. Perhaps the material used for bass cabs has more effect on our sound than the wood that supports the magnetic pickups.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1339803162' post='1694858']
Is the correct term for an acoustic bass with pre amp & pick up an electro-acoustic bass?
[/quote]

Innersting!
Without having given this much thought, my knee jerk take would be that the pickup/pre/power/speaker are an integrated part in deciding on the sound. If so, then yes: an electro-acoustic.
Problem of course arises with the acoustic bass played acoustically, and a microphone feeding an amp. One would suppose that one strives to capture the acoustic sound, but of course the mike/amp combination do colour the sound just like the pickup/amp combination.

I first came across the idea of chambered bodies when Gibson brought out a LP Jnr DC - they claimed the idea was to introduce resonances to make the guitar more vibrant and lively. But just losing some weight is as good a reason as any other.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1339919716' post='1696176']
you mean my beautiful quilted maple veneer front does absolutlely nothing at all for the sound but look purdeeee? :o :shok:
[/quote]

Heh, you'd think the nicer the grain pattern the better the sound, wouldn't you?

IMO an acoustic bass guitar is a bass that's designed to be played acoustically, you don't see many because they don't tend to work.

Semi-acoustic is an acoustic bass that's made with compromises to make them playable electrically or more comfortable for someone used to an electric bass, things like pre-amps, electrics, narrower body. 90% of acoustic bass guitars have pickups etc because it's widely accepted that the small body of a bass guitar can't amplify the sound of the bass notes very well.

Hollow bodied are things like 335s etc. They have no merit acoustically but the hollow body can affect the sound.

Chambered bodies look like solid bodies but they're made with chambers (durr) inside. Generally routed before a top is put on so there's no obvious sign that they're chambered. It affects the weight and potentially the tone though.

Solid bodies are solid bodies. :)

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

Yep, pretty clear, except the 'semi' bit.

You describe an acoustic bass fitted with a pickup. Most people would attribute the 'semi' name to a body 335 type body, same as it is for guitars.

Nowadays it would be virtually expected for an acoustic bass to have a pickup.

The only confusion or mis-interpretation, whatever you want to call it, I've ever witnessed is between a Semi, and an electro.

To my understanding, a semi-acoustic is like an Gibbo EB2, Ricky 4005, Epi Rivoli, an electro-acoustic is like a Takamine or Ovation, basically an acoustic bass, with a pickup, allowing it to be amplified.

All the others; solid body, acoustic, chambered, upright etc are obvious, and I've never seen them misused. Maybe just me?

It generally doesnt bother me though, it's a bit like apostrophe nerds isnt it? We know what it should be, but it doesn't keep me awake at night!