Why become a member? ×

Bass Body Terminology

skej21

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1340034228' post='1697974']
All the others; solid body, acoustic, chambered, upright etc are obvious, and I've never seen them misused. Maybe just me?

It generally doesnt bother me though, it's a bit like apostrophe nerds isnt it? We know what it should be, but it doesn't keep me awake at night!
[/quote]

Thats shocking! how can you sleep at night?

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1340020585' post='1697640']
Because it sounds so much better than "hacked out with a chisel"
[/quote]

:lol: It would be a good idea to make a list of all those marketing ploys and re-write them telling the truth

high-mass bridge = thicker than the average cheapo Fender bridge
graphite nut = cheap plastic nut
ultra vintage = beat up instrument
etc...

Mental note: start a new thread

Edited by BassPimp66

Having started (and read) this thread, it's raised more questions than it's answered. I still think it needs clearing up, because I agree with the 'electro-acoustic bass if it's a double bass that is stock fitted with a preamp/pickup' on principal, but it's still using a pickup to amplify a primarily acoustic instrument, so I'm not sure what is what anymore. We need a truly definitive answer? the luthiers need to get together and define it for us me thinks!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1340054813' post='1698495']
Having started (and read) this thread, it's raised more questions than it's answered. I still think it needs clearing up, because I agree with the 'electro-acoustic bass if it's a double bass that is stock fitted with a preamp/pickup' on principal, but it's still using a pickup to amplify a primarily acoustic instrument, so I'm not sure what is what anymore. We need a truly definitive answer? the luthiers need to get together and define it for us me thinks!
[/quote]

I would never call a 'double-bass' an electro-acoustic bass just because it has a pickup added to amplify it, its still a double bass. An electro-acoustic bass is a guitar shaped acoustic bass, to me anyway. i didnt realise people had difficulty in defining it....until this thread! :D

I'm sure 20 luthiers would all have 20 differing definitions too, as we all have, they are just people you know?? :P

Edited by Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1340054813' post='1698495']We need a truly definitive answer?[/quote]

It's interesting to be aware about what one is talking about, but as I'm sure you know better than me, these are sliding scales.

Initially, for me it's simple: if it's built to sound strongly enough volumewise to keep up with traditional builds, it's acoustic. If it's meant to have an acoustic effect on its electrical sound (or the other way round), it's an acoustic-electric.
That's the simple stuff. From there one, we're lost, and a definitve answer is uncalled for and will be met with lots of challenges, both from musicians and from developing technology.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1340057612' post='1698578']
It's interesting to be aware about what one is talking about, but as I'm sure you know better than me, these are sliding scales.

Initially, for me it's simple: if it's built to sound strongly enough volumewise to keep up with traditional builds, it's acoustic. If it's meant to have an acoustic effect on its electrical sound (or the other way round), it's an acoustic-electric.
That's the simple stuff. From there one, we're lost, and a definitve answer is uncalled for and will be met with lots of challenges, both from musicians and from developing technology.
[/quote]

An acoustic-electric?? Now there's another one to the list!! :D