Why become a member? ×

The effect of having a bass out of action

LukeFRC

Odd thing I realised today....
firstly I've been fairly busy so playing less than normal, but after christmas I got a set of Bart pickups and glockenklang preamp for my streamer. Awesome
I loved the pickups but the preamp did nothing for me at all (in this bass) so got moved on.
I then saved up for an ACG preamp, then spent the money on an engagement ring then started saving again (you'll see more stuff go on sale soon, delay pedal next!)

So since march my streamer has had no preamp in it.... as in theres no pots or anything and you can't plug it in.
So when playing I've been using the P bass (often amazing, sometimes not a versatile)
and the warwick has sat in my room and been played acoustically.... well the odd thing is how attached to it I've become, and love the unplugged tone of the thing and playing odd things and trying new techniques.
Today I was even questioning that when I got it back in action, did i need a second bass, maybe I could sell the JV? which is pretty extreme

but interesting how your relationship with these inanimate objects develops.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1339713763' post='1693365']
Hmmm, although I love the idea of having only one bass, the thought of being without a backup option should I need it for whatever reasons won`t go away, so I wouldn`t recommend it.
[/quote] no, i don't think it was a serious idea- but for years the JV has been my main bass, and the fact i could imagine life without it is a bit odd.

I've come to accept that I'm a bass nerd. I get great enjoyment out of the little differences, out of the different design philosophies, the differing concepts behind the different basses I have. I love them all, just in different ways because they're all different interpretations of the instrument I have a passion for. I don't see the point or nobility in rationalising having just one. I am comfortable having more than one bass. It's great, to be honest. I spent many years with just one bass, which I still have and that's great too. Tell me this, is your life going to be any worse off for having the JV as well as a kick ass Streamer? Hell no. Do you think the day might come where the raw power of the JV will excite you just as much as the finesse of the Streamer is exciting you now? So why think about moving it on? Some days only the JV will do, some days you'll just need the Streamer. Smile at how great your life is and learn to live with the burden.

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1339746849' post='1693541']
I've come to accept that I'm a bass nerd. I get great enjoyment out of the little differences, out of the different design philosophies, the differing concepts behind the different basses I have. I love them all, just in different ways because they're all different interpretations of the instrument I have a passion for. I don't see the point or nobility in rationalising having just one. I am comfortable having more than one bass. It's great, to be honest. I spent many years with just one bass, which I still have and that's great too. Tell me this, is your life going to be any worse off for having the JV as well as a kick ass Streamer? Hell no. Do you think the day might come where the raw power of the JV will excite you just as much as the finesse of the Streamer is exciting you now? So why think about moving it on? Some days only the JV will do, some days you'll just need the Streamer. Smile at how great your life is and learn to live with the burden.
[/quote]

don't worry, I'm not going to go down to one bass. Just remarking on the oddness of missing the wick meant I was considering it, which is an odd place to be.
Two is a good number for me, I tried 3 a few times but quickly go down to 2 again. It gets silly after a while as to 'really' be worth trying a new 3rd bass I would have to potentially 'beat' one of the ones I currently have. I've passed on some bargins cos I know that they wouldn't compare.
Anyway. maybe this is a silly thread, I just found that not being able to play a bass for a long time had an interesting effect to how I think of them.

• 3 weeks later...

though of the day:

At christmas I got the pups,
thought about it a bit and stuck them in with the glock preamp.
didn't like the glock, took it out and left it empty
saved up for acg
saved up enough and then spent it on engagement ring
wired the p pickup to jack so I could play at home with it.
saved up again
though maybe just use the original 2 band
saved up enough
blew it all on not realising that I had run out of free mins when calling fiancee
realised today that my main bass has been out of action for 6 months! :(
made me sad.

really I want to stick a good preamp in there, unsure what though, or what would be good.
acg is tempting- but not sure I actually would like it in practice.
selectable freq on a normal 2/3 band would be nice, either sweepable or some kinda dip switch thing- or uber flexible like the schack pre.
probably the warwick 2 band will be ok, but unsure- also still spending on new pot.... and I keep stopping myself...

Meanwhile the P is getting lots of play time! :D

(but really half a year :( )

Edited by LukeFRC

This thread has made me pull my finger out and put the electronics back in my cheap Dean Edge.
I need a bass to leave down the rehearsal room, this on is the cheapest one I own so it's my project bass. But it's been unplayable for 2 years!

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1341662864' post='1722412']
This thread has made me pull my finger out and put the electronics back in my cheap Dean Edge.
I need a bass to leave down the rehearsal room, this on is the cheapest one I own so it's my project bass. But it's been unplayable for 2 years!

[/quote]
need to be simarly inspired. I think really I want new electronics in mine, but don't know what. Almost tempted to design and build my own preamp!

[quote name='heminder' timestamp='1341672540' post='1722586']
surely you can just wire the pickups directly to the output jack and have a totally passive bass in the meantime?
at least that way it will still be fully functional while you hunt down a commercially made preamp for it.
[/quote]
tis what i've done. I just feel a bit silly playing in front of people with a bass with holes in the front! :)

[quote name='dc2009' timestamp='1341683315' post='1722776']
I'm partial but I've always thought how great a Warwick sounds unplugged!
[/quote]
so if i get an acoustic guitar pickup and stick it in one of the holes.... they are sound holes!

It's finding something that is reasonably like an amplified version of the unplugged or direct sound, but with room for tweaking.... and not sounding like the glockenklang!

Get yourself a bart preamp to go with the pickups? I've always found the bart stuff sounds really good as a complete pickups/preamp ensemble.

Alternatively, keep it simple and go passive, vol/vol/tone/tone and see if that does it for you? With you loving the sound of your passive JV, may not be a bad solution as it'd allow the more of the tone of the instrument to come through without a pre colouring it and it'd also match the outputs a little more between the two basses.

Just my two cents....

T

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1341702309' post='1723090']
Get yourself a bart preamp to go with the pickups? I've always found the bart stuff sounds really good as a complete pickups/preamp ensemble.

Alternatively, keep it simple and go passive, vol/vol/tone/tone and see if that does it for you? With you loving the sound of your passive JV, may not be a bad solution as it'd allow the more of the tone of the instrument to come through without a pre colouring it and it'd also match the outputs a little more between the two basses.

Just my two cents....

T
[/quote]

Possibility.
I was thinking I like vol/vol a fair bit in other basses I've had.. not as quick and easy as vol/bal but somehow works well. For some reason I find 2 tone controls just a bit annoying.
The P bass output is a fair bit hotter than the barts on the warwick, but then that's never been a problem of adjusting gain to suit the bass, I used to do lots of PA stuff and when you have 24 channels of stuff going on to set gain on, and then set again if the band changes adjusting one gain between basses, or trying to get the two similar, never seems like an issue to me! :)