Why become a member? ×

Metal Basses

Ghetox

Ellefson also used a pbass.

Peavey are also good metal basses.

Dream theater used : Yamaha (trb1006 and myung sig model i believe), now MM bongo 6 and if i remember correctly it used to be a "tung" bass or something of the sort?

+1 on warwicks for metal

Maybe an idea of budget? And what YOUR particular sound would be? Do you find yourself cranking the treble or boosting the bass? Im a treble man myself with a pick to cut right through.

[quote name='SJA' post='182666' date='Apr 22 2008, 11:41 AM']Spector, for the Pantera, Metallica cutting pick tone. Dave Ellefson's also used one with Megadeth in the studio.
although you can get a usable tone from most basses if you put steel roundwounds on and boost the high mids.[/quote]

+1 to Spector for any of the classic early 80's - late 90's rock bass tones....

Eddie Jackson (Queensrche)
Rachel Bolan (Skid Row)
Gene Simmons (KISS)
Jason Newstead (Metallica)
Dave Ellefson (Megadeth)
Flea (RHCP)
Kip Winger (Alice Cooper/Winger)
Pat Badger (Extreme)
Nikki Sixx (Motley Crue)
Mike Starr (Alice In Chains)
Rex (Pantera)
Geezer Butler (Ozzy/Black Sabbath)
Phil Soussan (Ozzy)
Ian Hill (Judas Priest)
Tom Hamilton (Aerosmith)
Bruce Turgon (Foreigner)
Melvin Brannon III (Dan Reed Network)
Jamie Stuart (The Cult)
Chuck Wright (Quiet Riot/House Of Lords etc)
Jeff Pilson (Dokken)
Francis Bucholz (Scorpions)
Ricky Phillips (Bad English)
Kasim Sulton (Utopia/Meat Loaf)
etc
etc

My budget would be something to £600. Something similair to Cannibal corpse, ATHEIST. Which has a solid, heavy sound.
Also, what should you people recommend, i was a pick player (and i thought, that playing bass with a pick is lame lol) and now i'm going for fingers, but most of my bands material doesn't sound good now. How can i get the pick bass sound?

[quote name='Ghetox' post='182855' date='Apr 22 2008, 03:17 PM']My budget would be something to £600. Something similair to Cannibal corpse, ATHEIST. Which has a solid, heavy sound.
Also, what should you people recommend, i was a pick player (and i thought, that playing bass with a pick is lame lol) and now i'm going for fingers, but most of my bands material doesn't sound good now. How can i get the pick bass sound?[/quote]
given yr budget, someone on the Forum is selling a Warwick Thumb at that level - excellent metal bass.

re pick sound, maybe you need to turn up the High EQ on yr amp to pick up the 'click' of your fingers and make it sound more percussive ... or change your style :) Steve Harris has a very clicky finger sound, for example

[quote name='Clarky' post='182861' date='Apr 22 2008, 03:23 PM']given yr budget, someone on the Forum is selling a Warwick Thumb at that level - excellent metal bass.

re pick sound, maybe you need to turn up the High EQ on yr amp to pick up the 'click' of your fingers and make it sound more percussive ... or change your style :) Steve Harris has a very clicky finger sound, for example[/quote]

600 for a Thumb is a bit of a bargain.

And yes, you can get a very clicky sound with fingers on a Thumb (if you see what I mean). Play hard and get some good callouses!

[quote name='Ghetox' post='182971' date='Apr 22 2008, 04:54 PM']I've heard to get a pick sound, while playing fingers you can get via effect pedals. true or false?[/quote]

You could simulate it with a compressor and EQ I guess. Would end up sounding like Fieldy from Korn. Tic-Tacs falling down the stairs....