Why become a member? ×

Form factor of Ashdown pedals

Bigwan

I've been commenting on an Ashdown Facebook teaser photo for a mystery new product and was just wondering what everybody else here thought about their pedals - [b]NOT about the quality of the effects per se, more about the form factor of their pedals.[/b] I find the inclusion of the VU meter a total waste, and the physical size of the pedals a bit at odds with what other manufacturers try to achieve (perhaps with the exception of EHX). Is Ashdown's insistance on sticking with their trademark VU meter (don't think it can even be considered a USP any more) doing their sales more harm than good?

Personally I own 1 ashdown pedal (Lomenzo hyperdrive) and it's a royal pain that it takes up so much space when it doesn't need to (in fact it annoys me so much that I'm planning on rehousing the circuit in a NORMAL sized enclosure). Pedalboard space is at a premium for most people so I find it weird that one of the worlds leading bass related manufacturers seems a bit out of touch...

I have one of the dual band compressors. It's decent enough but I'm not really hot on effects so space isn't an issue for me. You could say the same for Electro Harmonix, they're bigger than they realistically need to be but, hey, I've got big feet and somewhat clumsy so it's not always a bad thing.

I'd looked at the Ashdown pedals too, but the size is a factor here too (says the guy with moogerfoogers). They probably would sell more if they was in a smaller enclosure.

Agree with you on the VU meter, but they could make one about the size of a penny to put on smaller pedals if they so insist.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1339579238' post='1690745']
They are built like tanks on the otherhand.

In a fight against a hammer I would honestly bet on the pedal
[/quote]

But how is that different from other pedals out there? And does it gave a bearing on the size of the pedal?

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1339581169' post='1690786']
But how is that different from other pedals out there? And does it gave a bearing on the size of the pedal?
[/quote]

I can confirm that Behringer vs Hammer the hammer wins :P

I was just hugely impressed by the build quality of them :) I also like the VU... It's a shiny thing :D

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1339577497' post='1690682']
Agree with you on the VU meter, but they could make one about the size of a penny to put on smaller pedals if they so insist.
[/quote]

Ashdown already have a small(er) vu that they use on the class d amp they do, but even then i think it's probably surplus to requirements. Ashdown's comment on Facebook was that the VU was their trademark, which is a valid point if you're a marketing bod, but to me it's useless in practical terms, and waste of physical space on my pedalboard. Just seems like style is winning over substance...

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1339581724' post='1690800']
Ashdown already have a small(er) vu that they use on the class d amp they do, but even then i think it's probably surplus to requirements. Ashdown's comment on Facebook was that the VU was their trademark, which is a valid point if you're a marketing bod, but to me it's useless in practical terms, and waste of physical space on my pedalboard. Just seems like style is winning over substance...
[/quote]

It'll come down to which they think will sell better in the end I expect :)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1339581485' post='1690795']

I can confirm that Behringer vs Hammer the hammer wins :P

I was just hugely impressed by the build quality of them :) I also like the VU... It's a shiny thing :D
[/quote]

Lol!

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1339581790' post='1690804']

It'll come down to which they think will sell better in the end I expect :)
[/quote]

Well that's my point - i know there are plenty of folk here who wouldn't even try an ashdown pedal because they couldn't make room for it on their pedalboard...

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1339582042' post='1690813']
Well that's my point - i know there are plenty of folk here who wouldn't even try an ashdown pedal because they couldn't make room for it on their pedalboard...
[/quote]

Yeah... but what about normal people :P

I've met so many basses who don't even know what bass they're playing, I think we count as slightly obsessed tbh

Agree completely with the OP. I'm kinda looking for a compressor, and despite having owned an Ashdown previously and liked the sound, pedal board space is an issue so I'm not considering buying another one even though it ticks other boxes in terms of performance and price. Too big, and the VU is pretty but impractical. I can't see it when I'm standing up and it's on the floor anyway.

Perhaps they suffer from looking good when they are all stacked up next to each other in the display unit, but when they are on an untidy pedal board with other makes they aren't so practical. Same with the Seymour Duncan pedals - good looking and good performing but not the most practical.

Edited by randymussel

Yeah my Hyperdrive will be going soon for a pedal that isn't ridiculously big, would definitely be keeping it if it was smaller. The VU meter gets used mainly cause the LEDs crap and it's often the easiest way to tell if it's on.

Also overall enclosure is built really solidly but the footswitches they use are pretty poor. Plenty of us have had to replace them.

[quote name='simwells' timestamp='1339587829' post='1690941']
Yeah my Hyperdrive will be going soon for a pedal that isn't ridiculously big, would definitely be keeping it if it was smaller. The VU meter gets used mainly cause the LEDs crap and it's often the easiest way to tell if it's on.

Also overall enclosure is built really solidly but the footswitches they use are pretty poor. Plenty of us have had to replace them.
[/quote]

Same boat here, but I'm going to see if I can rehouse mine in a smaller enclosure - although the PCB is probably too big to go in the one I'm thinking of, but there isn't an alternative pedal that I can think of that does the same job - some reverse engineering to reproduce the same circuit may be in order...

I use the dual band compressor, a Boss OC2 & a chorus pedal. I have no pedal board and they are just left on the stage so space is not a problem for me. The Ashdown is built very well and will survive on stage with no problems.

As for the UV light, reading Ashdowns blurb, it is so you can set the level correctly to ensure you are sending a good signal to your amp. In practice this doesn't make a lot of difference IMO. As other have said it it part of their trademark dersign and it does look quite cool.

The size could be smaller, but is similar to the Markbass range of pedals, possibly a bit bigger than them?

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1339588942' post='1690963']
Same boat here, but I'm going to see if I can rehouse mine in a smaller enclosure - although the PCB is probably too big to go in the one I'm thinking of, but there isn't an alternative pedal that I can think of that does the same job - some reverse engineering to reproduce the same circuit may be in order...
[/quote]

I considered this but the PCB was pretty well the full footprint of the pedal and everything including pots was surface mount so it's far from the easiest to rehouse. Personally I plan on buying the Triumvirate or possibly a Rat Tail, neither are quite the same but should be capable of similar results to what I use mine for.

[quote name='simwells' timestamp='1339596390' post='1691158']

I considered this but the PCB was pretty well the full footprint of the pedal and everything including pots was surface mount so it's far from the easiest to rehouse.
[/quote]

I suspected as much. I'll have a rattle at reverse engineering it to scale it down a bit. Worth the trouble - it's a great sounding pedal.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1339600278' post='1691264']
They are big and ugly just like the Markbass pedals - at least Markbass has seen the light and produced a smaller range!
[/quote]

Agreed.

At least if you're gonna make a big pedal, make it look as cool as moog do. B)