Why become a member? ×

Gallien Krueger - Neo 112

Musicman20

Firstly, how are these such good value, and neo?!

http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Gallien-Krueger_NEO_112_Bass_Speaker_Cabinet/GK-NEO112

Is it because GK manufacture their own speakers? (Paragon)

Has anyone got one of these, or a pair, and can give an impression of what they are like.

Crazy low weight, low price, and a nice size.

Edited by Musicman20

Will be in receipt of a GK 212 Neo later today. Not exactly the same, of course, but I will post my thoughts on it.

I ordered one because they seem a superb match of quality, power-handling, price and weight. Tonewise, they are reported to have an upper mid bump and tight (but not excessive) bass, which is exactly what I want.

Edited by hamfist

Ive got a new one to along with my Mb500. Its really good ive found, very punchy and handles a low B really nicely. I havent gigged it but have had a rehearsal with a 9 piece and a sort of 3 piece noise pop band. It kept up in both very nicely along with the mb500. I cant wait to get another.

Its my first time with a small neo cab and i was blown away. Id read that the mb500 was very bassy before buying and was a tad worried but with the eq set at 12 oclock all the way across, i found it really tight, punchy and articulate, not overly bassy at all.

Only downside is the tweeter which i found a bit to hissy but i use it mostly at -2db(i think) and find i dont really need any more top end at all, especially with new strings. In fact with the tweeter turned up full it was too much especially slapping and was too piercing. The 12 on its own had enough top and bottom end and is nice and middy. Cant wait to get another. :D

(I have nothing to compare this to in terms or other small 12's so im simply stunned with it)

Tried out my new 2 x 12 GK neo last night at a rehearsal. very nice cab indeed !

A bit of a bump in the hi mids (2000-2500Hz), and a small unexpected dip at around 600Hz (not difficult to adjust back with amp EQ though). Can be very bright if you want that. I ended up running the tweeter almost off.
There is plenty of bass response with the cab, although not perhaps as tight as it could be. I have heard it said that these cabs have no damping inside, so if it really bothers me, I could always put some foam batting inside to tighten things up ... a pretty simple job for almost anyone. That might well remove the dip at 600Hz too.
Fit and finish seems really good. And it's light. I haven't weighed it but it "seems" lighter than the GK quoted weight.

If the 112 is anything like the 212 (and it is by all accounts) then it would be a great cab for the money, for sure.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1339665332' post='1692109']
Tried out my new 2 x 12 GK neo last night at a rehearsal. very nice cab indeed !

A bit of a bump in the hi mids (2000-2500Hz), and a small unexpected dip at around 600Hz (not difficult to adjust back with amp EQ though). Can be very bright if you want that. I ended up running the tweeter almost off.
There is plenty of bass response with the cab, although not perhaps as tight as it could be. I have heard it said that these cabs have no damping inside, so if it really bothers me, I could always put some foam batting inside to tighten things up ... a pretty simple job for almost anyone. That might well remove the dip at 600Hz too.
Fit and finish seems really good. And it's light. I haven't weighed it but it "seems" lighter than the GK quoted weight.

If the 112 is anything like the 212 (and it is by all accounts) then it would be a great cab for the money, for sure.
[/quote]

Thanks for the review :)
Is it the MBE 2x12 you've got, the vertically aligned one, or the NEO 2x12?...

Eude

I have a couple of 212s and love them, stupidly light and very loud (I did a medium outdoor festival with just one on Sunday and it easily coped). Very versatile too, they can be very bright and cut through right to dubby tones and still defined.

Here's a clip of one of my bands where I'm using my "mini" stack. Loads of growl and cuts through very nicely, though obviously that's to do with my ray and MB Fusion head too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb-jQYq-TaE

It's a shame you don't live near me, I'm sure that an hour round my place with my GK gear would really convince you to take the plunge finally. ;)

Think GK may be going down the route of creative marketing with these Neo's(I assume they must have outsourced to TC Electronics marketing dept) theres no way the 112 cab Soundslive are selling has a real Neo in it, cannot be done at that price, I'm sure it's a perfectly decent cab and light but getting tired of companies and their half truths...

[quote name='phatbass787' timestamp='1340124173' post='1699520']
Think GK may be going down the route of creative marketing with these Neo's(I assume they must have outsourced to TC Electronics marketing dept) theres no way the 112 cab Soundslive are selling has a real Neo in it, cannot be done at that price, I'm sure it's a perfectly decent cab and light but getting tired of companies and their half truths...
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure with the weight it is a neo speaker. I'd be shocked if it wasn't, as otherwise that's a lot worse than TC, as the whole concept of the cab is neo, has neo in the name, etc.

GK do make their own speakers though, so no doubt they can make them cheap and not have a speaker company charging them obscene amounts.

However, i'd be interested if someone could take one apart and check haha.

They're definitely neodymium. It specifically mentions it on their site here: http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products_neo_series.html

If they weren't it'd be outright false advertising rather than just misleading. Also, as you pointed out, with the weight as it is, there's no way they're ceramic. They make their own range of speakers (Paragons) which as you say is probably how they make them so cheap.

[quote name='phatbass787' timestamp='1340124173' post='1699520']
[/quote]

Evidence ? evidence ? libel, libel ?

It's pretty that lucky posts like this on forums like these don't seem to attract the attentions of company lawyers

I got myself a couple of the GK Neo 112-ii cabs 7 or 8 months ago.
I moved from the Barefaced Compact, which although sounded great I always felt the sounds passed by my legs. I still don't think the BF are the greatest build quality either and didn;t really handle the rigours of gigging.

Anyway, the GK 12" cabs are superb. Very light, build quality is excellent and I can stack them either vertical or horizontal depending on how close to the cabs I'm standing and need to hear myself. As for tone, maybe not as articulate as the BF but I'm more than happy the way that they sound and the band say they hear me better than with the BF. I play in a 5-piece band and have no problems with them. They are a little boomy, in my opinion but I just cut the bass back a bit on the amp (Ashdown ABM 500 III) and it's great. I must admit I do prefer a middly "honk" to dub bass tone.

Got mine from Mark at Bass Direct for a decent price too.

Cheers! That was an issue I had when I tested the Compact (went past my legs, and a LOT of low end)...although Alex has explained why this might be the case so I'll put that down to one of those things.

However, these GK cabs are superb value and seem to get good reviews!

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, just thought id hijack the thread;)
recently got a gk 400rb head and lookin light, quite powerful cab for it.
in pretty sure i want to get a GK neo 112 but just worried if itll be loud enough? I play classic rock in a three piece and 99% of the time in local pubs. I plan to use DI on the head to go through PA anyways, would 112 be ok as monitor for me?
thanks
Michael