Why become a member? ×

fabby cheapo phaser

Fionn

Just had the nice surprise of finding an old cheapo Rocktek phr -01 phaser that belonged to a guitarist I knew with about 15 years ago. So, I've been experimenting.

As a phaser it's nothing special on its own, but it does wonderful things post-distortion, and pre-envelope filter. It sounds huge. especially with the distortion. I'm surprised at how clean and thick it sounds. It is a little loud however, and the build quality is awful.

Just posting as I love this crappy wee pedal now. You can buy these on the bay as cheap as chips. Go on! for the price of three pints you can have yourself a wee gem!

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1339224376' post='1685463']
just had a look on ebay, they are cheap aren't they? I have a Pearl 80s phaser and its analogue heaven! Sounds loads better than myt guitarists MXR. Is the Rocktek 9v battery only or can you power em with a multi plug (ie fueltank)?
[/quote]

sell me the pearl ;p

• 8 months later...

Just raising this thread again 'cos I recently picked up a Rocktek Phaser on ebay and agree with the OP. Sounds good enough on it's own and really animates distorted tones.
I also rate the Chorus - put it this way - I had one years ago that was stolen from my car and now have two. Also have the Flanger but not so keen on that preferring Arion Stereo Flanger.
On the construction - I don't have a problem with the construction. I wouldn't say it was at all poor - decent thickness of material / decent screws etc. Switches never failed though not gigged much. Decent pots / knobs.
Plastic cased pedals may be an issue from a screening pov but can't see if they are shielded on the inside.
If you can pick some up at a good price then I'd recommend.

I forgot that I also have Rocktek '6 Band EQ' (100Hz - 3.2kHz bands) and 'Bass EQ' (80Hz to 2.6kHz bands).
No problems.
The only real issue I see with the build quality is with the plastic battery cover which also bears the pedal name.
The plastic 'push' clip can rather easily break off so some pedals have covers which don't clip in or are missing.

I might put the Flanger up for sale on here (missing battery cover btw) if anyone interested.

Let us know what you think of the Arion Phaser. The stereo dry/wet option on Arion pedals is nice.
As it happens I have the Arion OverDrive pedal which offers either a direct or 'soft' version of the effected signal on the second output.
Some people seem to really rate this pedal. Not my thing for either guitar or bass though so up for sale if anyone interested.
Must get around to listing some stuff for sale as picked up a good few pedals recently and need to sort out what to keep. and what to sell.