Why become a member? ×

markbass cabs front ported or rear?

0175westwood29

looks like im gonna be changing to a full markbass rig need to downsize my rig a tad and also make it an easier lift as im now keeping my rig at home and the 610 is a pain to get up and down the stair every time.

im looking at eventually getting a couple of 410's not sure what type to get tho as i can't find any videos on the markbass site.

im guessing there must be a big difference in the sound as otherwise they'd just sell one or the other, so any owners out there want to give me a quick review?

the next question is obviously unless i somehow manage to blag a lm800,sd800 or sd1200 head on a serious bargin ill probs be looking at running a single 410 with probs an lm3/lmtube500 at 300w. people think this will be loud enough for a 4 piece rock/punk band? i had an lm2 about 2 years ago but i ran that through my ampeg and that 4 ohms so it was 500w and it was fine but obviously the 610 moves alot of air and its 200w more!

ive also seen alot of people just getting 2 210's but i think the single 210 alone in my situation just wont do it, even tho i have read they are quite loud!

just looking for your views guys.

andy

I played in a 4 piece rock band (singer/guitarist, noodle guitarist, shed builder & me on bass) & had no trouble being heard & that's from a Markbass 2x10 combo.
They're rather loud & quite a few venues said that we was one of the loudest bands they've ever had. If you're up this way you're welcome to try it out.

I have just finished a review in the review section of the Traveller 2x10.

Personally if you feel you need more than one 4x10 then one 2x10 won't do you. My plan is to get another and stack vertically so the bass is closer to my ears so I'm not struggling with volume when stood essentially on top of it. It is still damn loud though on it's own.

Front or rear ported??? The only benefit of rear port is the overall size of the box is smaller which makes a difference up and down stairs, but with something like a 4x10 rear ported I fear I would be managing the coupling situation far too much. The Traveller is rear ported and using coupling gives the sound a lot bigger feel than what it actually is. For me it's a down side as I don't need loads of bottom in the sound anyway. With a 4x10 I think it'll be worse as the cross talk between drivers coupled with the excessive boomy low's will make the cab very muddy, and being short aswell won't help it.

If you are looking at a full markbass setup and need to be loud but with a managable load and sound then 2 of the ney york 2x12 stacked vertically will be plenty loud and very clear, although they only come in 4 ohms.

Or 2 of either of the ney york or traveller 1x15's will be practically a good 8x10 volume wise but much clearer in the midrange, and they come with tweeters to add sparkle.

Edit. 300 watts into any of th emarkbass range will kill anyone in the room but it depends if you want lots of headroom, thats all the bigger heads give you. Also the LM800 power amp section on really gives out just 600watts and that peak, in one unit that has been tested the continueous power (the actual number we need to be given) was lower than the 500watt of the smaller less expensive heads. The continous of the 500watt heads is just shy of 500, IIRC.

Edited by Prime_BASS

I often go to see a punk covers band, whose bassist uses a Markbass 310 Combo, and he gets a great sound, and is very audible in the mix, and there are never moments where the bass is lacking. Great amps Markbass, I`m yet to see a band where the bassist is using one, and I don`t like the sound.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1338933776' post='1681460']

Personally if you feel you need more than one 4x10 then one 2x10 won't do you. My plan is to get another and stack vertically so the bass is closer to my ears so I'm not struggling with volume when stood essentially on top of it. It is still damn loud though on it's own.
[/quote]

The Traveller cabs are a trade off between portability & sound. The 102HF has a cab about twice the size & produces a good deal more bass, but at the expense of not being as portable as the 102 Traveller.

Still doesn't stop the Traveller being a great little cab.

I use the 410 HR, and it give stacks of bottom end, I actually prefered it to the HF, and by a long shot to. I also have the 210P and it gets used more than the 410 now purely for use-ability. And I drive a Micra! Both are loud and sound great.

If you're in the north east of England, drop me a message and try them out.

Dan

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1338933776' post='1681460']

Front or rear ported??? The only benefit of rear port is the overall size of the box is smaller which makes a difference up and down stairs, but with something like a 4x10 rear ported I fear I would be managing the coupling situation far too much. The Traveller is rear ported and using coupling gives the sound a lot bigger feel than what it actually is. For me it's a down side as I don't need loads of bottom in the sound anyway. With a 4x10 I think it'll be worse as the cross talk between drivers coupled with the excessive boomy low's will make the cab very muddy, and being short aswell won't help it.

If you are looking at a full markbass setup and need to be loud but with a managable load and sound then 2 of the ney york 2x12 stacked vertically will be plenty loud and very clear, although they only come in 4 ohms.

Or 2 of either of the ney york or traveller 1x15's will be practically a good 8x10 volume wise but much clearer in the midrange, and they come with tweeters to add sparkle.

Edit. 300 watts into any of th emarkbass range will kill anyone in the room but it depends if you want lots of headroom, thats all the bigger heads give you. Also the LM800 power amp section on really gives out just 600watts and that peak, in one unit that has been tested the continueous power (the actual number we need to be given) was lower than the 500watt of the smaller less expensive heads. The continous of the 500watt heads is just shy of 500, IIRC.
[/quote]

when you say coupling what do you mean?

andy

Coupling effect you get from the cab being on the floor, next a wall in yst ctuiryytiurotrrnetr.

Each flat surface gives you +3dB in the lows(IIRC correctly anywayand around 100hz i think aswell) which is the same as doubling the power......

If you go to barefacebass.com the archived columns go into it better than I can.

I'm only saying it is something to watch outfor in some places as it can be boomy and horrible much of a sound, unless you want that deep soul/motown thing.

Without asking or looking I'd say you want a tight and controlled bottom, which you can get with either front or rear port, but IMO front ported cabs are more managable when it comes to acoustics.

Taller stacks with fewer speakers help clear up low mids I find.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1338979339' post='1681825']
Coupling effect you get from the cab being on the floor, next a wall in yst ctuiryytiurotrrnetr.

Each flat surface gives you +3dB in the lows(IIRC correctly anywayand around 100hz i think aswell) which is the same as doubling the power......

If you go to barefacebass.com the archived columns go into it better than I can.

I'm only saying it is something to watch outfor in some places as it can be boomy and horrible much of a sound, unless you want that deep soul/motown thing.

Without asking or looking I'd say you want a tight and controlled bottom, which you can get with either front or rear port, but IMO front ported cabs are more managable when it comes to acoustics.

Taller stacks with fewer speakers help clear up low mids I find.
[/quote]

got it in one dude! i like a nice deep clear bass, also just thinking my 610 is front ported so maybe the front ported markbass could be a good place to start!

ah i see i understand what you mean by coupling now! well i am shoved in the corner at some smaller venues so maybe rear ports could cause a bit of a prob?

andy

Apparently you need about a 6-8 inch gap around the cab so that the rear port can radiate. All my cabs are rear ported and on some small stages that can cause problems for me.

If I could I'd choose front ported cabs. Just takes away another hassle.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1338980560' post='1681853']
Apparently you need about a 6-8 inch gap around the cab so that the rear port can radiate. All my cabs are rear ported and on some small stages that can cause problems for me.

If I could I'd choose front ported cabs. Just takes away another hassle.
[/quote]

good point as i touched on above my cab has been tight up to the wall before, like you say front ported may a possilbe problem solved

andy

In theory there is no difference in sound between front ports and rear ports and if you're standing in front of your cab playing this is true. However, when I used a couple of rear ported 4x10s recently our drummer complained that the bass became so overpowering that he couldn't hear his foldback or the guitar in places. No difference in the amp setting though. I suspect that he was hearing the output of the ports where he'd never heard it before, but then again, he is a drummer!

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1338979339' post='1681825']
Coupling effect you get from the cab being on the floor, next a wall in [b]yst ctuiryytiurotrrnetr[/b].
[/quote]

I just don't understand this. What does it mean?

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1338983404' post='1681900']
....our drummer complained that the bass became so overpowering....
[/quote]

I've heard of other drummers complaining about this this effect as well.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1338987643' post='1681990']
I've heard of other drummers complaining about this this effect as well.
[/quote]
Yep, my drummer does exactly the same, I overcome this by putting either my gig bag or amp head case behind the cab. He says it makes a little bit of difference, not a massive difference but one none the less. Give it a try and see if your drummer prefers it.

Dan

I've gone back to using my super duper refurbished 8x10 so the problem has gone away again. The 4x10s were only a stop gap as my 8x10 was looking seriously tatty. That was probably the drummers fault as well. No respect for equipment, not even his own.

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1338996515' post='1682143']
just to add something else to this would 500w drive two of the 410's ok? as the cabs are rated 800w? and they only be getting 250w each?

andy
[/quote]

Don't worry about the watts, they have nothing to do with how loud it will go.
If you're not sure, go & try some out.

Still not sure why you're wanting 4x10s though?