Why become a member? ×

McCartney's Jubilee bass

woolf

if you google the union jack thing, Hofner have made a few custom shop ones with the flag.

anyway my wife told me to order the Union Jack bass last night as it might be collectable,
so I ordered it this morning :)

It's fantastic being a bass player that's married to another bass player

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1338971753' post='1681689']
Nice one - will it be shared? Must be unusual for 2 bass players to be married I would've thought. I think teachers are most often married to teachers.
Enjoy the bass, you'll need matching plastic hat and jacket!
[/quote]

No it'll go on the wall, we're not really into short scale basses, they feel too sloppy.
I had a hofner CT500/1 until very recently. I sold it to finance my Steinberger XL2. Sold it to another basschatter.

I've already got a replica of the Shea Stadium jacket, actually, the whole suit, which I bought when we got married and I'm sure there will be plenty of plastic hats in the bin!!

Looking forward to getting it, always loved the violin shape (probably because I grew up playing fiddle from the age of 6)

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1338973134' post='1681708']
No it'll go on the wall, we're not really into short scale basses, they feel too sloppy.
I had a hofner CT500/1 until very recently. I sold it to finance my Steinberger XL2. Sold it to another basschatter.

I've already got a replica of the Shea Stadium jacket, actually, the whole suit, which I bought when we got married and I'm sure there will be plenty of plastic hats in the bin!!

Looking forward to getting it, always loved the violin shape (probably because I grew up playing fiddle from the age of 6)
[/quote]

Yep my wife "insisted`' i ordered one too, so I duly pulled the trigger yesterday :)

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1338974576' post='1681730']
Hi there Old Horse Murphy, how you getting on with my old 500/1?
It's very strange not seeing it on display in my lounge
[/quote]

Good thanks. It was every bit as lovely as you described. It may have to go at some point as I've had a bit of a splurge (Union Jack 500/1 and MM Bongo 5 string!)

How's your Cricket season turning out?

My wife has got a mustang bass (as well as her P Bass) and I put a set of cut down 45-105 long scale strings on it, but it still feels sloppy.
I presume this is because of the shorter scale (I can't play my Les Paul with 9-42 because it feels sloppy, but s strat is fine)
Do I need to go heavier than 45-105?
advice welcome, but I may start another thread

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1338975789' post='1681756']
My wife has got a mustang bass (as well as her P Bass) and I put a set of cut down 45-105 long scale strings on it, but it still feels sloppy.
I presume this is because of the shorter scale (I can't play my Les Paul with 9-42 because it feels sloppy, but s strat is fine)
Do I need to go heavier than 45-105?
advice welcome, but I may start another thread
[/quote]
The shorter scale does lead to lower tension with the same make and same gauge of string for the same pitch but I wouldn't cut down long scale, buy short scale strings.

Apparently they are great for that reggae 'thump'. As well as the aforementioned Robbie Shakespeare, I've seen Peter Tosh's bass man play one
[url="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3o4Fgh0KW_4#"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o4Fgh0KW_4[/url]

Edited by Roland Rock

• 3 weeks later...

Tears for Fears did an Antwerp Proms gig (YouTube) and it was a Hofner guitar and Club bass they used. Sounded great.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI9lo5BRJmg[/media]
3:30 in for the 'bass bit'.

Edited by merello

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All --

Dad3353 let all on the Hofner Hounds Forum know that there was a discussion on the Jubille Bass. Have ordered one, even though I play LH; and heard that the Union Jack is a decal - not a painted finish. If so, would taking off the scratchplate (since it looks rather bad with it in place) seriously jeapardize the decal?

Thanks >>> Mike

Edited by CaliforniaMike