Why become a member? ×

Which Behringer DI?

Evil Undead

I,ve got hartke bass attack,behringer bdi21 and line 6 floor pod.
All good but for the price bdi21,preamp and DI all in one .Hartke is a good unit as well though as is the line 6 but bdi21 easist to use.
Defo go for preamp with DI just for the comfort of if your amp goes down your still in the mix with your amp sound and they are great for recording as well.
Another plus point is you can gig without an amp if you get enough back through monitors,feels strange at first not to have an amp flappin your leg but you get used to it especially at load out time.

I like the BDI21 BUT, it has stopped accepting mains power, and is battery only.So I no longer use it.
As to the modelling versus the DI sound, 99.9.9999.9 sound engineers will prefer the unadorned sound of the DI.
Not because ,as the bitter bassist of the previous page suggested, "so they can completely ignore your wishes" regarding tone etc, but simply because having a modeller with an EQ tone that doesn`t suit the house P.A at all is not helpful to anyone.
However, in your case where you are basically looking for a back up amp like device which can utilise your P.A rather than a DI as such, the BDI21 would be the cheapest and most versatile option.

Bass amps and speakers naturally add colouration and sometimes compression to the sound of the instrument. The BD21 is designed to mimic the sound of the amp. Running bass direct to desk can sound OK, but doesn't sound much like bass run through an amp to my ears. This is why it's good for you to try them both out, best of all if you can actually run the bass through each of them in turn into the PA and see which you prefer. It may be you actually like the DI box tone better than the amp simulator.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1338814591' post='1679546']
I like the BDI21 BUT, it has stopped accepting mains power, and is battery only.So I no longer use it.
As to the modelling versus the DI sound, 99.9.9999.9 sound engineers will prefer the unadorned sound of the DI.
Not because ,as [b]the bitter bassist of the previous page[/b] suggested, "so they can completely ignore your wishes" regarding tone etc, but simply because having a modeller with an EQ tone that doesn`t suit the house P.A at all is not helpful to anyone.
However, in your case where you are basically looking for a back up amp like device which can utilise your P.A rather than a DI as such, the BDI21 would be the cheapest and most versatile option.
[/quote]

I'm almost tempted to have that as my member title! :)

My 'bitterness', if you want to call it that, stems from the number of engineers who've ridden roughshod over my intended tone. Sadly, if they're intent on meddling, a processed DI just means that they'll have to employ even harsher EQ etc. to get it back how they want it, hence I always give a clean DI these days because I'll take 'wrong' over 'butchered'.

shrug.
Your call, but your "tone" can`t be decided by you, until you learn how amplifying it through a very much larger system than your backline changes it completely.
And you`ll also need to take responsibility for properly mixing it with the other instruments in your band.
Remember them?

Otherwise if your needs are so specific that the majority of those trusted to do the job cannot,you might consider paying someone to pay specific attention to your [s]ego.[/s] requirements.
;)
(smiley to indicate there is humour present,albeit minor)

I think MM was referring to a previous post there. Your setup is the same as the bands I`m in, and these little boxes are a great way of having a bass-through-amp sound into a vocal pa, to enable you to finish a gig. Let`s hope the pair of us never need to use them :)

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1338646688' post='1677605']
Hello, thanks for your help :)

Potential stupid question alert - what do you mean by "still give you an amp sound"? What does a "non-amp sound" sound like?
[/quote]

Poo! (in my Humblest opinion). :sorry:

Get the BDI-21 as it is a great little box.
I use both this and my old SansAmp BD.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1338833246' post='1679819']

What sort of mixer? Likely at smallpub level you could just go straight into a mixer amp without the need for DI.
[/quote]

+1! If the mixer's close enough just plonk yer lead into a line-in, set the gain and off you go :)
I don't think you'd really need a DI unless the desk is some distance away/only has XLR inputs. Doesn't sound like an amp no, but just play around with your tone controls a bit and it'll sound fine. When I'm doing little jobs in the studio I just go straight into the desk - sounds fine :)

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1338856835' post='1680222']
Can't really go wrong! Who's to argue for the price?
[/quote]

Ah, Ben! The [i]real [/i]old head on young shoulders. Thank God! Not like those asshole children who think that because they've been to university and got a degree they're a bit 'special'. Hooray! :lol:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1338857580' post='1680235']
Not like those asshole children who think that because they've been to university and got a degree they're a bit 'special'.
[/quote]

Hey now, some of those people are my friends! :lol:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1338896772' post='1680688']
They only hang out with you because it makes them look clever! :lol:
[/quote]

Ha! Well, I mean, I did study for two years and get some pretty good GCSEs, not to mention these prestigious A-levels, so I [i][b]do[/b][/i] know what I'm talking about ;) :lol:

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1338856595' post='1680220']If the mixer's close enough just plonk yer lead into a line-in, set the gain and off you go :)
[/quote]

Well maybe. A line input, rather than an instrument input, is normally fairly low impedance - around 20Kohms. For an active bass it probably won't matter, but it will affect the tone on a passive. The load on the pickups is likely to cause a loss of highs.

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1338922901' post='1681203']
Well maybe. A line input, rather than an instrument input, is normally fairly low impedance - around 20Kohms. For an active bass it probably won't matter, but it will affect the tone on a passive. The load on the pickups is likely to cause a loss of highs.
[/quote]

Ahh fair point. My Warwick (and the Jazz I had before that) is active - I'd never thought about it...

I have the bass driver thingy too. I have no practice or gigs coming up, so i could send you it to try?
Im off to Download tomorrow so it would be Tuesday before I could ship though?
Same issue as someone above said - doesnt run on mains now. Be fine to test :)

Hi guys

As you know I bought the BDI21, and also ordered an XLR cable to go with it.

The DI Arrived today and it says "output available on 1/4" TS or balanced, gold plated XLR connectors"

Well, the XLR I bought says this in the description "BRAND NEW XLR PLUG to SOCKET 3M LENGTH, SUPER FLEXIBLE CABLE in BLUE. Microphone extension leads, made with super low noise, 2-core 6mmØ screened cable. The cable is very flexible and durable."

Nothing in there about balanced or gold plated connectors.

Is this something that matters? Will it work anyway, or do I need to return that cable and get a different one? And which should I get?

Sounds like it'll be absolutely fine. You don't need gold plated connectors, and it'd be pretty odd to find a standard male to female XLR / mic lead made with 2-core screened cable that wasn't wired to be balanced.

Without getting too technical ( it's my day off) all XLR cables are balanced,stereo ( TRS,tip/ring/sleeve) quarter inch jacks are balanced,regular mono jacks aren't.Gold is technically a better conductor of electricity than nickel,however,it is also softer and wears off on stuff that is constantly being plugged in and unplugged.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo,apart from the colour ( you bought a blue cable????) your cable is fine.