Why become a member? ×

New Pups for my P Bass

skydog2710

One of the split pups on my 79 P Bass has gone and died on me, so I have decided to splash out and fit some newuns. My bass has a rosewood neck and badass II bridge. My music styles range from soul/funk (no slap) to jazz and swing. Have looked at everything from original Fenders,SDs to Nordstrand and Lindy Fralin. As it is going to be done only once I want to get it right.

I realise it is ultimately down do my playing style and personal preference, but I would appreciate some recommendations and warnings (humble opinions will also do). Really want to warm up/enrich the tone a bit without straying too far from that original P Bass sound.
Thanks

I put some SD Antiquity 2's in my P and love the sound it's given it. Vintage vibe with lots of woody tone :)

Edit. I was going to record a sound clip of them, but then thought my terrible playing might put you off :)

Edited by Highfox

Try Fender Original/Vintage pickups, if wanting to retain authentic Fender sound. I say this, as I`ve just done exactly that with my 77 (as the pickup was on the way out, and didn`t want to get it re-wound, want to keep it in original condition). They sound great, nice and rich, and the highs whilst clear, are never at all shrill. They are apparently the model that Fender put in the 62 Reissue Precisions.

A friend of mine had '76 P with dead pickups and asked me for help to replace them. I've sent them over to Andy at WizardUK and explained the kind of sound my friend was after and he rewound them. The result was great, i would look into that before thinking about replacing them.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1338479642' post='1675225']
Try Fender Original/Vintage pickups, if wanting to retain authentic Fender sound. I say this, as I`ve just done exactly that with my 77 (as the pickup was on the way out, and didn`t want to get it re-wound, want to keep it in original condition). They sound great, nice and rich, and the highs whilst clear, are never at all shrill. They are apparently the model that Fender put in the 62 Reissue Precisions.
[/quote]

+1 - I put a set of '62 RI's in my '65 P and they're just about perfect; surprisingly hot for a "vintage" p/up too. Easily my favourite of ones I've tried (SD Antiquity, Fralin, DiMarzio, Barts), but I've got a set of Norstrands currently in a custom build, and they're probably on a par.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1338482512' post='1675282']
That's not David from East Grinstead is it? If so, I thought you'd settled on Nordstrands?
[/quote]

No Graham, you're mistaking me for that other guy in Sussex with rosewood neck/badass bridge 79 P Bass! :P The Nordstrand thing didn't work out, long story - will tell you next time. Still interested in Nordstrand pups, not those particular Nordstrand pups iyswim .... :angry:

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1338487263' post='1675352']
i chose fralin's in the end and i can't imagine anything being better. Just perfect old school p tones
[/quote] Fralins every time...as used in Laklands old Duck Dunn P model ;)