Why become a member? ×

Louder E string

rogerstodge

Hi
I've just bought a jap' 60s RI jazz off ebay, (she's a beauty pics to follow) i gigged it last night and when plucking the e i was getting glares from the band saying i was boomy?? The other strings seem fine, shall i take the e string off?? Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Paul

+1 to both points.

My guitar was strung with Martin strings & when the G snapped I replaced it with a Meridian (only brand I could get at the time) & whilst it sounded fine played unplugged, it was noticeably quieter when plugged in.

First thing to do with all second hand purchases, is re-string with the strings you normally use, and check setup.

Whilst pickup hieght may be the issue, suually when it's too low you get 'boomy' or 'boxy' notes as there isn't a great signal going to the pickup.

Ideal hieght is different for everyopne though, I have mine fairly close compared to the norm.

I generally have this with every bass I buy, as I`m quite ham-fisted, and tend to hit the strings quite hard. I do as EssentialTension recommends, lower the pickup on the E/raise on the G, and it usually works fine, just by trial and error. Raise by a half-turn, lower by a half-turn.

hi - same here mate though different bass.

On mine are new high quality strings though that i have used loads on my other basses so i am going to try adjusting the pickup height. It took me about a song to remember to pluck the E more lightly during the gig. Slapping was a bugger though as we have a few covers requiring slapping. I don't use a compressor so that was a difficult nut to crack. Nobody noticed though :unsure:

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1338141480' post='1670056']
Ive got a limiter/enhancer pedal , maybe that'll help?
[/quote]
It should do though you want to get to the source of the problem if you can. When i played with just the bridge pickup the problem went away so i am pretty sure that it is the height of the neck pickup.