Why become a member? ×

Beginner bass on a budget... SRX300?

acronym

I was wondering if anyone can help me, I'm looking to buy my first bass and I'm looking at the SRX300 however, I hear its more for hard rock/metal which I'm not. I like to use it for soul, funk, blues.

So is the SRX300 just marketing hype and similar to the SR300 or should I really steer away?.

Welcome to Basschat - no bass is specifically for any type of music - they're pretty interchangeable. The bass you are after (Ibanez??) will do what you need it to and if it's your first bass it will generally be alright to learn on. There will be others along shortly who will advise you on other basses that you could get for the same money as a new SRX..have a look on the "For sale" thread for a bargain rather than buy new..

Thank you.

I be buying the SRX for second hand, only have a small budget but the thing that distracted me from purchasing the SRX was the rock/metal connotations. Sure its the user who wields the instrument but I do want a low, warm bass nothing with too much treble.

For a low budget bass that will do what you require a Westone Thunder 1A would be my choice. One in good nick will cost £150 +/- and there is nothing to beat it at this end of the market, imo.

[quote name='MrTaff' timestamp='1337963220' post='1668164']
Sure you could use any bass for any genre but I think a P bass would suit you much better, P with flatwound strings would give you the low, warm bass sound you want.
[/quote]

Could I install flatwound strings on the SRX?

I won't be using this live, its more studio use.

Gotta be honest, I don't think the SRX300 are anywhere near as good as the SR300, in terms of feel, sound, and build quality.

If you want a cheap, versatile, quality starter bass, I would look for a used Yamaha RBX270. Awesome basses for about £100 (give or take) used, and easy to modify. I've got one that I use as a backup/practice bass. I upgraded the pickups, wiring and bridge, and it's killer! I would gladly play it on any gig.

I would also recommend a second hand Yamaha. You can get a late '90s to early '00s BB-series basses for under 150 pounds all the time on ebay. These are perfectly giggable workhorses, simple but effective, with solid materials and decent hardware and pickups. As for the sounds you want - any good bass can sound low and warm, that's what basses are for. If there's too much treble for a situation, turn it down on the bass or on an amp or whatever. I wouldn't go for that classic "P with flats" advice that is given whenever someone asks for a warm sound. A solid, simple bolt-on bass with two pickups and roundwound strings is my recommendation.

Another +1 for the budget Yamahas. Also the current Squier range are very good value. Can't comment on Ibanez but plenty of players started on their budget instruments so I'd imagine they are worth a punt.

There's a lot of choice at the budget end of the market these days, best time ever to start playing bass. :)

[quote name='such' timestamp='1337993212' post='1668548']
I would also recommend a second hand Yamaha. You can get a late '90s to early '00s BB-series basses for under 150 pounds all the time on ebay. These are perfectly giggable workhorses, simple but effective, with solid materials and decent hardware and pickups. As for the sounds you want - any good bass can sound low and warm, that's what basses are for. If there's too much treble for a situation, turn it down on the bass or on an amp or whatever. I wouldn't go for that classic "P with flats" advice that is given whenever someone asks for a warm sound. A solid, simple bolt-on bass with two pickups and roundwound strings is my recommendation.
[/quote]

Thanks but what model are I'm looking for, is it a specific BB?

[quote name='acronym' timestamp='1337960860' post='1668122']
I was wondering if anyone can help me, I'm looking to buy my first bass and I'm looking at the SRX300 however, I hear its more for hard rock/metal which I'm not. I like to use it for soul, funk, blues.

So is the SRX300 just marketing hype and similar to the SR300 or should I really steer away?.
[/quote]

I hear this quite a lot about the SR range and it's just a pile of cr*p.
A bass is just a tool, the same way that a hammer is just a tool - you don't have different hammers because your bashing nails into different pieces of wood, you just adopt a different technique. :D

An SR is more than capable of performing well in hard rock\metal genres but is equally capable of being used in other genres.
I've used an SR for many years now and it's done everything from Abba tribute acts to XTC covers. :)

If you want to play around in the funk genre then IMO you really don't want to be playing around with flatwound strings - as a 'listener' they sound truly awful used in that way.

[quote name='acronym' timestamp='1338159059' post='1670330']
I'm new to the bass, so besides from type what strings do I need again?.
[/quote]
Roundwound strings are the most commonly used strings for bass, and 45-105 (or thereabouts) is a good starting point. If budget is an issue the Legacy strings are supposed to be decent - [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings/bass_guitar/legacy"]http://www.stringsdi...s_guitar/legacy[/url]

Edited by Musky

Try one of the Yamaha BB424s currently in the for sale forum. They're both stonking and around half what they cost new. Very versatile, top build quality, great workhorses. Also, buying used from Basschat can't be beat.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1338160309' post='1670348']

Roundwound strings are the most commonly used strings for bass, and 45-105 (or thereabouts) is a good starting point. If budget is an issue the Legacy strings are supposed to be decent - [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings/bass_guitar/legacy"]http://www.stringsdi...s_guitar/legacy[/url]
[/quote]

Legacy are Rotosound Rotobass repackaged. Very good value for money at £7.95 a set.

[b]hi there i must say the best bass in my opinion to start would be ibenez or yamaha rbx270 i play a fender presicion a musicman and a warwick streamer but have got a couple of ibenez and a yamaha rbx 270 and when i pick up a bass to learn a new song always use my yamaha dont know why but i think value for money unbeatable . Go down to your local music shop and try ibenez or yamaha and im sure you wont be dissapointed like a lot of these basschaters on here will tell you same thing.Good luck with what ever you choose and keep an eye on basschat as they are all helpfull guys they helped me a lot and solved many of my problems cheers for now.[/b]

Hi there - I started back on the bass after a long break. I bought and Ibanez GSR200, it was great to get me going again. Easy to play, good range of sounds for the price. It's currently for sale on ebay pm me if you're interested.

The Ibanez SR models are good quality and will do pretty much what you want - they are not restricted to metal, I think this comes from the fact that they are slim necked and easy to play at speed. In my experience, a lot of your tone will come from whether you use fingers, or pick, the settings on your amp and your choice of strings. Get yourself something that's easy to play, and experiment with strings and the EQ on your amp. Best bet is to get into a shop and try a few before you commit. I always said I couldn't play a five string bass as it would be too big for my smallish hands. I tried a few out in a shop and was surprised that I could play them with no issues - it really is all about getting out there and trying stuff out.

Good luck.