Why become a member? ×

Advice please on choice of strings

The Saint

I'm just starting out on bass, having played electric and acoustic guitar for a while and I need some help on choice of strings.

When starting out on an acoustic guitar I would advise a beginner to use a light gauge string, purely because it's easier to play. They can change their sound later by moving to heavier strings/using phosphor bronze or any of the huge range available.

By the same token, as a beginner on bass, would there be any advantage for me in choosing flat wound or round wound? At the moment I'm more interested in ease of playing rather than how they sound. That'll come later...

Are there any other types that I should consider? At the moment I'm more interested in the gauge and type of string I should consider rather than the manufacturer, although specific recommendations would be welcome.

Sorry if this sounds a bit basic, but I have to start somewhere...!

Thanks

Graham

'Medium guage' covers a bit of ground as far as strings go - different manufacturers seem to have their own idea of what is 'medium'. For the sake of argument, are we all talking about .45 - .105 here (a la Rotosound's Standard Guage)?

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1337809021' post='1665947']
That would be my opinion of medium - especially seeing as I base my opinion on Rotosound Strings anyway.
[/quote]
Yeah, I just mentioned it because Rotosound mediums are .40 - .95. A bit less tension in them than the Standard Guage ones.

If you're going to be a bass player you've got to make the break from those bendy guitar strings, so I’d suggest the heaviest strings you can find. They are just as easy to play as light weight strings and you've got to leave the twang behind you.

Flats are an acquired taste so I wouldn't suggest starting on those.

Depends on your hands and the strenght in your fingers and fingering technique.
I'd say no bigger than 100-40's myself.... depends if you intend to clamp the strings with a grip
or use more finesse. You will need strongs fingers and muscle strenght to fight a 45 string with your little finger
after going off a gtr... and you need to take action into account.

Thanks for your advice guys, seems pretty unanimous on medium gauge roundwound.

Chris B, interesting thought about the heavier strings. I've been blessed with girls hands so I think I'll woose out on those...

Don't go away, plenty more questions coming.......

Graham

Edited by The Saint