Why become a member? ×

The bass that you shouldn't have let go of ...

Fionn

No basses sold yet, happily, and I have NO plans whatsoever in that direction.

Before, I'd sell every single synth for need og money when I wanted a new synth, partly because of demands from the marked.

Now however, i buy everything cheap or used, and under normal circumstances I should be able to keep all of my basses, and I also suspect nobody demands that I invest in more modern basses than my Corvette and Bongo already are. Win win!

best,
bert

An 80's MIJ Yamaha BB3000, with a Badass II bridge, the original passive Yamaha set up, and JayDee electronics. I did a straight swap at a local store for a brand new Warwick Streamer.

No decent photos, only this one from about 15 years ago:

I have a 2003 MIJ BB3000 now, but that one was an original 80's BB3000...and some !

[quote name='CBbass' timestamp='1337911223' post='1667412']
Well I sold my old instruments because they was always something I didn't like about them. Sure I miss them from time to time, however I know why I sold them and I would just sell them again.

I do however miss my vintage competition Mustang. I sold it to fund my bass rig. I still probably wouldn't buy it back even if I had the spare cash though. It's all about Les Paul Jrs. for me now :). I don't like to keep more than one bass+guitar and I'm currently "guitarless" ;).
[/quote] how do you choose between acoustic and electric guitar?

The bass I wish I didn't let go was the bass I never bought. Around '05 I was back in Newcastle, and one of the shops there had a lovely white Ric, with black binding and all chrome hardware. It was going for £1K, and I 'ummed and 'arred about whether I should spend that much money on a bass. A job I was going for fell thru, and I returned to London. I did have the savings to buy the Ric, and now I wish I had. As money might come and go, and circumstances may change, but at least I would have had the bass to show for my short return back to the North East. And after all, I only blew the money on daft things like food and bills. I would buy one now, but Ric don't seem to do them anymore.

Make hay while the sun shines. And that is why I bought my TBird.

I owned an Aria SB Elite1 in pearl white back in the 80's but sold it for about £200 with the original case in 1993 when I bought my first Warwick (which I still have and love and will beat anyone to death if they ever try to take it from me..........including my wife!) The thing is I regretted it almost straight away as I had a nasty Charvel as well but kept that?!? Anyway, 2 months ago I bought Cocco's Elite2 off here so I'm a happy man again and I remember why I liked it so much, I also really can't work out why I sold it as it was my main bass!
I've also never sold another bass since (apart from the Chavel because it was awful but at the time very rock)

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1337774354' post='1665186']
I bought a '94 'Ray from Prime_Bass - not the prettiest bass ever but it had a beautiful Bird's eye Maple neck which I set up with a really low action - no buzz, played like a dream. A couple of my friends played it and I got lots of positive comments about how it played. Prime_Bass said he regretted selling it and said he was interested in buying it back - when he had the cash available.

I was trying to get the cash together for a GB Rumour (would anybody sell me one though!!) so I subsequently sold it to Sshorepunk - as soon as I started packing it I knew I was making a mistake..Several weeks later I'm missing the Ray so buy a newer one (2001) in much better condition - you guessed it - doesn't feel or play like the '94.

I should have listened to my gut feeling and not sold it!!
[/quote]

Too right, the one bass I regret moving on, none of the other 15+ I've owned stir my loins like that old Ray.....
Messaged Shorepunk a few times but no reply.................
I will get this bass back!!!

Although I'm extremely happy with the Sandberg I have right now, so much so that I'm thinking of retiring the sterling up. I know I'll regret it as soon as I do though.

Stephen

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1337990683' post='1668530']
how do you choose between acoustic and electric guitar?
[/quote]

I used to have 2 electrics and 1 martin acoustic. Sold the martin because I really didn't play it much at all. I got more than I paid for it and needed the cash at the time. I'll just get another if I want to play acoustic ;).

I've been lucky. I've only ever sold 3 bass and they were all ones that had been originally bought in a hurry because I needed an instrument to do a particular job straight away and didn't have time to wait for something more suited to me to become available. So consequently I don't miss those three basses in the slightest.

However now I find myself in a quandary. I have lot of basses I like a lot, but for the last 5 or so years I haven't really used any of the 4-string basses. All my live and recording work is now done with my 5-stringers whether or not I use the extra string simply because they are more comfortable to play and because they sound great. So I'm contemplating selling all of my 4-string basses. There are a couple - like the Pedulla Buzz and the Lightwave that I'll probably replace with 5-string versions - but the rest have no equivalent with an extra string. The thing I'll regret most about selling these basses is that the manufacturers responsible weren't far-sighted enough to make them in 5-string.