Why become a member? ×

Fender Telecaster Bass USA 1977 sale pending

ash

I'm selling on this old Telecaster Bass from 1977 as I need to get my upright bass sorted out and pay some bills! I've used this for recording only and it formerly belonged to a private recording studio from 1979 until recently. It has had an illustrious history.
The bass has been modded in that it has a Dimarzio Jazz pickup at the bridge and one of the pots is a push/pull coil tap. The humbucker has the smoothest, warmest tone of any bass I have played and is incredibly loud, the Jazz bass tames it and makes it more useful for different musical styles. I have also moved the thumbrest to a comfier position using existing scratchplate holes.
The bridge has now been replaced with a correct era through body strung Tele Bass bridge. The neck is a three bolt job with a microtilt adjuster, it has a bullet trussrod. All parts are original with the exception of the push/pull pot, jazz pickup and bridge. The ashtray is original and it comes with a tatty old case (now pictured). The neck and frets are in superb condition with barely a blemish, it has a lovely action and intonation is good.
The bass isn't as heavy as it looks but it isn't a lightweight either! I'd estimate it weighs 10lbs however it's well balanced and surprisingly comfy to play.
As you can see the finish has begun to split/crack and there are lines across the body, these aren't cracks in the body wood I hasten to add, construction is very solid. This was a fairly common issue for this era bass apparently and though I have been tempted to refinish it and fill the jazz pickup route I have been told this is a rare finish for a Tele so I've left it. Ironically there are very few 'man-made' dings to the finish just the flaws to the paint itself.
This is an uncommon bass in a rare finish and has had an interesting past however there are flaws to it as far as collectors appeal so I'm unsure as to value it. Forum rules dictate I need to indicate a price and looking at similar era Fenders on here I would say it must be worth over a grand as a great playing old Fender..... however keeping in mind the current market offers around the 800 mark will secure it.
Here is a picture of it with the new bridge and the case. I've also included a picture with its sparring partner my '77 all original Fender Precision in maple and ash (very appropriate!), please excuse the quality it was taken on my ipad. The Precision is not included in the deal unless you want to throw another grand and a half at me :D!

Edited by ash

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1337710116' post='1664393']
Red and black looks very cool !
[/quote]

Yes its a pretty distinctive colour scheme, the main thing about this bass though is the neck; it just feels 'right' somehow even though it isn't a slender neck its as comfortable as any Fender Precision I've played and in incredible condition.

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1338232118' post='1671303']
This is wonderful, would love to strip it and return it to a mostly original setup!
[/quote]

Yes it's a great old bass and a bit of TLC would restore it to its former glory, however got to emphasise that this is a perfectly useable bass as is. Great for recording and has a neck that is in incredible condition.

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1338232118' post='1671303']
This is wonderful, would love to strip it and return it to a mostly original setup!
[/quote]

No you wouldn't Rob, you'd do a whole lot of work and it would sound like mud and you'd probably sell it because of this! As it is, the Jazz PUP renders it a usable instrument, whilst the mudbucker-only option never really did - well, not for anything but early '70s blues rock - which is why you don't see a whole lot of folks using 'em. This bass is definitely best left as is :rolleyes:

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1338233628' post='1671339']
the mudbucker-only option never really did - well, not for anything but early '70s blues rock - which is why you don't see a whole lot of folks using 'em. This bass is definitely best left as is :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Or very cool ska.... Horace used one in the Specials early days:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkKPG0FL4cU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkKPG0FL4cU[/url]

I'm wondering how much it'd cost to get this back to original, too....

The bass of my youth and desire (listen to Gerry McAvoy - Rory Gallagher).... just get custom wound pickup if the neck pickup is not to taste and way to go... now about my divorce for buying yet another bass............

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1338233628' post='1671339']
No you wouldn't Rob, you'd do a whole lot of work and it would sound like mud and you'd probably sell it because of this! As it is, the Jazz PUP renders it a usable instrument, whilst the mudbucker-only option never really did - well, not for anything but early '70s blues rock - which is why you don't see a whole lot of folks using 'em. This bass is definitely best left as is :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Was hoping for something doomy actually. Something to compliment the Ovation Magnum.

Either way I couldn't afford it anyway unless he wants something Green in part ex :P

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1338248327' post='1671747']
Was hoping for something doomy actually. Something to compliment the Ovation Magnum.
[/quote]

Not really up on doom but I guess you'll not know until you try. I think the idea that the neck PUP can be modded is also a good one; it seems that the combination of position and PUP is the problem, not one or other in isolation. A lower O/P PUP there could produce something really sweet and usable like the neck PUP on a 4001. Probably be crap for doom though!