Why become a member? ×

That age old topic:- What amp/cab?!

woodyratm

If you are starting from scratch and need light, small and powerful then Barefaced is way ahead of the competition. 2 Compacts would be easy to carry but would take up more room in the car. For me the Super12T isn't a one handed carry but I think I'd still get one, even in a top floor flat.

Reviews of the Aguilar Tonehammer 500 look very interesting.

Cab wise I just thought I'd throw this out there - I used to own two Epifani UL2 410s. They were light as a feather, sounded massive, and really let the musicality of my bass head come through :) . They were great cabs. I ran quite a rock tone through a Mesa big block 750 and it sounded great. They do come up every once in a while. Thought that might be an option - light but capable of competing with loud guitarists and a PA. Mine certainly did the job very well.

Thanks

Ash

Hi woodyratm.

I have a Barefaced Super 12 without a tweeter. I play a 4001 through an SVT4 Pro. I can't say I found any lack of top end, but these things can be quite subjective.
I'm about an hour or so's drive from you. If you want to try it out then I'm sure we could arrange something.

Cheers.

Edited by beely

[quote name='daveparker123' timestamp='1337416671' post='1659490']
SVT 2 Pro and 810 and a new house!
[/quote]

Hah! I would love that! Even better with 2... Old school Tim C.
[quote name='beely' timestamp='1337428120' post='1659751']
Hi woodyratm.

I have a Barefaced Super 12 without a tweeter. I play a 4001 through an SVT4 Pro. I can't say I found any lack of top end, but these things can be quite subjective.
I'm about an hour or so's drive from you. If you want to try it out then I'm sure we could arrange something.

Cheers.
[/quote]

That would be amazing! Where are you based mate?
I've used the SVT 4 pro. great amp!

Has anyone used the orange bass terror with several fx? All the videos and stuff i've read just seems to mention it for cleans and dirty tones.

Once my new bass is done, i'd like to gigbag it, amp in one hand, cab in the other.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1337416214' post='1659481']
BTW is the band name reference to Metal gear??????
[/quote]

Yeah man :) FOXDIE = Nerdiest band ever. We have songs about call of duty, mass effect and a local beer, among other geeky stuff. :)
Miss our old intro track. Was a snake codec convo.

Thanks majorly for this guys! Looks like i'll need to try LOTS! :D
Might need to do a trip downsouth too!

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1337433918' post='1659894']
Yeah man :) FOXDIE = Nerdiest band ever. We have songs about call of duty, mass effect and a local beer, among other geeky stuff. :)
Miss our old intro track. Was a snake codec convo.
[/quote]

I loved MGS. Never played the next gen version though.

I'm still waiting for a song about how sparkly granite is in the sun, but it always rains. Which makes Aberdeen invisible 99% of the time! :lol:

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1337434623' post='1659911']

I'm still waiting for a song about how sparkly granite is in the sun, but it always rains. Which makes Aberdeen invisible 99% of the time! :lol:
[/quote]
Might try that ;)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1337434708' post='1659912']
And yeah, MGS is pant wettingly awesome! If I wasn't so bass gear obsessed I would have got the HD Collection for the Xbox by now :lol:
[/quote]

I just wish they'd included the 1st one. I've wasted sooooo much time with those games!
Might see if I can try a MB head.. Maybe the LMII.

The Hartke LH500 has lots of power, sounds good, and is cheap. Would save you money for a lightweight neo cab. I use an LH500 and a Schroeder 1212L, cab is easy to carry up stairs (I live in a first floor flat myself), then I do the amp and pedalboard one in each hand. I don't get tons of bottom end from the Schroeder but it's a good even sound and plenty loud. I've never felt like I missed having a bigger cab.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1337420404' post='1659578']
One thing to bear in mind this is one of few amps I'd really suggest to actually go somewhere and try. Great bit of kit but the feel of the sound it produces is different to anything else out there.
I had the RH750 and I felt the bass and my playing was chocked somehow, which is evident why now, so I sold it a brought a second LMTube.....
[/quote]

I'd agree, however, the universal problem with trying amps in store is the unfaithful reproduction of a live environment. It's kind of like buying drums, you're never allowed to smack the hell out of them in the store, and even if you were you'd never know what they'd sound like room to room, venue to venue etc.

The compression on the RH750 goes quite a bit to 'choking' the attack of the bass if not used sparingly, but other than that I've found that since the swap from my Eden rig to TC, my playing (sound, I guess) feels sharper and more focused. Certainly though, you'd be right to advise checking out any product out before purchase. I understand that for some, the TC stuff might be a marmite thing. For me, I bloody love it.

Edited by risingson

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1337433296' post='1659875']
Has anyone used the orange bass terror with several fx? All the videos and stuff i've read just seems to mention it for cleans and dirty tones.
[/quote]

Ant (on here) from castrovalva i think currently uses an OTB but purely for the accuratly rated 500watt power amp and tones of effects. Due to the classic fender bassman tone stack, bass and treble boost and mid scoop, for me the preamp is a bit muddy, and was incredibly boomy with my Compact.
I will vote for it but it's hard to EQ with effects as it colours the sound a lot, but if you want a cheap and good soundiong head that has more power on tap than needed, that's your head.
Although Markbass's power amp in the littlemark series has been found to be it's actual rating too. Which is another reason I love it, you can pick up a used LMTube for very little these days.

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1337433918' post='1659894']
Miss our old intro track. Was a snake codec convo.[/quote]

I have to see this band!
[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1337434623' post='1659911']
[/quote]

It's really good, and for a nerd like me the the ending is immense. Graphics are on another level.
[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1337434708' post='1659912']
And yeah, MGS is pant wettingly awesome! If I wasn't so bass gear obsessed I would have got the HD Collection for the Xbox by now :lol:
[/quote]

I have it, it's pretty good playing the older games in HD, and peacewalker is a half decent game.

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1337435126' post='1659921']
I just wish they'd included the 1st one. I've wasted sooooo much time with those games!
Might see if I can try a MB head.. Maybe the LMII.
[/quote]

Me too, but I already downloaded MGS from the PSN.

Thing with the MB heads is that they are voiced very nice, very flat with a low mid hump, this gives them that 'warm' sound people describe them as. Incredibly clear and great for pumping effects through, and through a Compact you hear everything in the range as it goes into the head, which is great. Having a flat start point makes EQing incredibly easy.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1337499688' post='1660809']
Thing with the MB heads is that they are voiced very nice, very flat with a low mid hump, this gives them that 'warm' sound people describe them as.
[/quote]

Yep theyre very nice! And if you want something more aggressive,the F1 is biased more towards high mids

First, I'd buy a gig bag for the bass that has a pocket big enough for a micro-head. Ashdown MiBass for example and can be carried on your back. IGiG will be perfect, or a protec contego is also an excellent product.

Next, an Orange Isobaric 2x10 is plenty loud enough and IS the most compact 2x10 you'll find anywhere. You can carry this in one of your hands.

And your pedalboard in the other hand! You mentioned that you use quite a few effects probably mounted on a board so you need a free hand for that innit.

Even if the Bareface Super12 is lightweight, it's still a pain in the arse for one trip from the car, though loads of doors, up twisty stairs etc due to it's size. The OP says he also has use of PA support. Simply, he doesn't need a Super12. I'd agree that Barefaced is the way to go because they are cool, but a Midget should be fine. All of the micro heads mentioned in this thread have DI's so why a big cab? Why 12's? Does the OP have a sansamp/bdi21 etc? These can be use to dial in plenty of grit for you if the tone of the head you isn't quite perfect for you. This pedal can be easily affixed to ones pedalboard or can be placed carefully in a pocket of your awesome new gigbag!

Truckstop

You're right it is more awkward than a midget, but I usually can get cab/bass/amp into the room/venue in one trip..The wheels work quite well once you put a protector on the "axle" base of the cab.. Or you can carry it like a suitcase using the side handle..

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1337509324' post='1661000']
First, I'd buy a gig bag for the bass that has a pocket big enough for a micro-head. Ashdown MiBass for example and can be carried on your back. IGiG will be perfect, or a protec contego is also an excellent product.

Next, an Orange Isobaric 2x10 is plenty loud enough and IS the most compact 2x10 you'll find anywhere. You can carry this in one of your hands.

And your pedalboard in the other hand! You mentioned that you use quite a few effects probably mounted on a board so you need a free hand for that innit.

Even if the Bareface Super12 is lightweight, it's still a pain in the arse for one trip from the car, though loads of doors, up twisty stairs etc due to it's size. The OP says he also has use of PA support. Simply, he doesn't need a Super12. I'd agree that Barefaced is the way to go because they are cool, but a Midget should be fine. All of the micro heads mentioned in this thread have DI's so why a big cab? Why 12's? Does the OP have a sansamp/bdi21 etc? These can be use to dial in plenty of grit for you if the tone of the head you isn't quite perfect for you. This pedal can be easily affixed to ones pedalboard or can be placed carefully in a pocket of your awesome new gigbag!

Truckstop
[/quote]