Why become a member? ×

'64RI Precision Bass build

MrFingers

Nitro is EXTREMELY hard to find here in Europe (it is banned for health and safety issues), and it's impossible to ship canisters from the USA (where it is more "easily" available)...

Anyway, I found a company in Holland who sells nitro. Kinda expensive, at 20€ (~30$) a can, but there isn't an alternative...

[IMG]http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd324/williamsanders127/fde91bb0.jpg[/IMG]

The bushings were just a tad too big/the holes just a tad too small:

Collection of drills:

Correct size + a plug which fits nicely in the already drilled hole: NICE

Drilling on the benchdrill:

Nice 'n snug:

Trimmed, for an even better fit:

Calculate the centre and wedged into place:

Drilling:

Done:

Guess we all have to learn it the hard way :blush:

anyway: Jerked some nitro today... Nitro is fun, it dries very quick (in half an hour you could handle it, as it is "dry" (but not cured), but it smells funky, and is just plain unheathy...

Countersunk holes for the tuners, dowelled hole from the "template" (at the heel there's one as well, like it should)

Just like the real thing!

This is sketchy territory. For the sake of detail I did it, but just in pencil (for now), above the lacquer. It looks convincing from a feet away, but up close, you see it's a repro.

This is in ink though ;)

Edited by MrFingers

Today was a busy day at the office, so I didn't do much when I got home. I sprayed the final coat of untinted clear lacquer, and that's now degassing in the shed (don't worry, it's locked ;)), and I prepared my paintstick contraption. 2 concentric tubes, one which stays in the workmate, the other the actual paintstick. In the paintstick I'll drill 3 holes: 2 at the flattened end, for the body to hang on to, and one just before the thicker tube. There I'll ram a long nail through it, so I can use that as a handle to turn around the body. That will (hopefully) allow me to work faster (better?).

[IMG]http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd324/williamsanders127/d404d374.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd324/williamsanders127/9926d461.jpg[/IMG]

Because I'm stuck now (waiting on lacquer to dry is as tense as [url=http://www.watching-grass-grow.com/]this[/url]), and because I wasn't 100% satisfied with the made-up warranty card based on a 1962 model, I was browsing "teh interwebz". I found an auction from 5 years ago from a guy who sold is 1964/65 P-bass, with an original hangtag/booklet. The pictures were 200x450px, so not good enough to read what was on them, but good enough to get the basic outline. Since those booklets are generic (it says the same in every version, just the layout differs) I got to work with 2 manuals I got laying here at home. An afternoon in paint.net, word and typing later, this was the result...

(is there a therapy for people like me? :unsure: )

[quote name='MrFingers' timestamp='1339180553' post='1685079']
Because I'm stuck now (waiting on lacquer to dry is as tense as [url="http://www.watching-grass-grow.com/"]this[/url]), and because I wasn't 100% satisfied with the made-up warranty card based on a 1962 model, I was browsing "teh interwebz". I found an auction from 5 years ago from a guy who sold is 1964/65 P-bass, with an original hangtag/booklet. The pictures were 200x450px, so not good enough to read what was on them, but good enough to get the basic outline. Since those booklets are generic (it says the same in every version, just the layout differs) I got to work with 2 manuals I got laying here at home. An afternoon in paint.net, word and typing later, this was the result...

(is there a therapy for people like me? :unsure: )
[/quote]

Don't worry. The world would be a much duller place without obsessive weirdos.

And I mean that in a good way.

Edited by gjones

You're laughing, but in fact, I got an SMS from the owner, and he said: "yeah, nitro, I'll probably just sand it down, I want the feel of your bass"...

And I was like: :blink:

BTW: this is the very first time I ever work with this kind of lacquer, let alone polish something... Turned out rather nice!

Edited by MrFingers

[quote name='MrFingers' timestamp='1339271181' post='1686277']
You're laughing, but in fact, I got an SMS from the owner, and he said: "yeah, nitro, I'll probably just sand it down, I want the feel of your bass"...[/quote]

Seriously though, I would. I can't play glossy necks - too sticky! :D Very nice job, by the way.

This one isn't that sticky, which is nice!

Anyway, it's got it's name now. The only thing needed now is the stringtree (which I already have), but that will be mounted when the strings are in place)... I hereby declare the neck as FINISHED :D

Repro wiring is done... Both logarithmic pots (so the tonepot is basically an on/off switch, but hey, that's how it was done back in those days), with a big ceramic capacitor... Stackpole pots are impossible to find, so we stuck with CTS...

Wow, hell of a nice job! Everything is brilliant, I even happen to be the only person I know to like high gloss necks! If it was me of course I would like it just a bit reliced and with a paper in oil cap. But again it's not me. Great job, hats down!

[quote name='FEND3R' timestamp='1339578567' post='1690726']
paper in oil cap.
[/quote]
It needed to be as correct as possible. If it were for me, I'd use a linear tonepot, and a PIO "Orange Drop" capacitor, but hey, it needs to be accurate, so :lol: