Why become a member? ×

Ampeg PF500 vs Orange Terror bass 500

wally8

Hi guys

I recently did a thread about not being impressed with the PF500 when i tried it. The summery was we all thought it may of been down to the 2x10 TC cab farting at me.

I took my passive USA Precision this time instead of my MM sterling.

Anyway, i asked the merry men of DV in cambridge to get me in the Terror bass, the PF500 again and put it through a decent cab this time, a 115 Blood orange cab.

The orange was so loud it was a disgrace, near blew my head of at vol + gain at 4. The sound was amazingly vintage - so geeze in the early days, banging out the sabbath riffs. i also got a fairly decent twangy tone with the mids and treb rolled up and the bass down.

The ampeg was much better this time round with the blood orange cab. Much more versatile in the sound department than the orange - much better for the higher frq twangy, slap and pop stuff - and its £200 cheaper - and had a nice deep ampeg tone

But......... the orange looked the biz and had so much ridiculous power and simplicity

At the mo im heading towards the orange as my big peavey head sounded closer to the ampeg sound, esp using a BDI21 with the SVT settings.

The guys at the shop said i can take both home for 30 days to trial and bring the loser back - gunna do that tomorrow

Wow, I didn't know DV were so accommodating! Remember you can also make a real upgrade in sound quality by swapping tubes in the Terror, improving the overdrive sound and getting rid of the mud. I've got some on order, but if your want to try this for the least possible outlay, try one of the Tung Sol reissue 12AX7s from Hot Rox for just over a tenner in the V1 position on the right hand side.

Hi guys, thanks for the info. I thought the orange was mega. Trying to convince myself to part with the best part of £500 is hard at the mo as I'm in band limbo. Playing in a dodgey cover band with the wife. I need something to get my teeth into to justify the outlay. Are Shania twain and pink covers Gunna do the orange valvey beauty justice? Not likely, I need Sabbath, soundgarden, led zep. :(

[quote name='wally8' timestamp='1337150622' post='1656116']
I need Sabbath, soundgarden, led zep. :(
[/quote]

As do we all! I've only played through the Orange, and I absolutely loved it. It's not hi-fi enough for me, but I can appreciate that it does vintage valve sound brilliantly. I've heard very mixed opinions of the PF stuff from Ampeg.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1337159859' post='1656279']
So the wife still does the Shania songs then?

Not too bad on Pink though - her bassist, Eva Gardner uses Precisions into Ampegs, so valve-sounds in abundance. Gotta be a good excuse to get the OTB!
[/quote]

Ha - if i had a tenner lozz for everytime ive played "Man I feel like a woman"!!!!!!!!!! At least we do a bit of alanis morissette (nothing like the ludicrous amount of bass notes played in you oughta know, i pride myself in playing very close to flea's original lick, not seen many bass players live doing that, or the original war pigs) Paramore and Avril to keep me semi busy. We ended a gig the other night with Bullet in the head by RATM as an encore - not many people dug that in a fenny pub!

BassGearMag online has an in-depth analysis of the tone controls on the Orange - if you roll the bass and treble all the way off and the mids on full it's pretty close to flat (although there is still a top end roll off that can apparently be reduced with a tube upgrade). So start there and dial in more treble, lower gain and more master volume if you need a more 'hi-fi' sound out of it.

Although if you need to switch between hi-fi and vintage in the same set, maybe a TC Electronics RH450 / RH750 might be a good idea with it's programmable presets?

The guy from Alabama Shakes uses an ampeg rig but I dunno which head.

Saw them in Manchester last week and the head failed just before they were due on stage. After 15-20 mins of muckin' about, they swapped in a replacement head and thankfully the show went on

[quote name='mikegatward' timestamp='1337179935' post='1656763']
Saw them in Manchester last week and the head failed just before they were due on stage. After 15-20 mins of muckin' about, they swapped in a replacement head and thankfully the show went on
[/quote]

Google has a link, to a facebook page that I can't see in work, that says The Amp Clinic in Manchester repaired a SVT Classic