Why become a member? ×

Bass pinch harmonics

Bass_man219

Don't think its a pinch, but its doing harmonics with the right hand, I picked it up from this vid:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUcj2qujAxY[/media]

about 2.30 in. Except I pull more faces doing it, with more gain. Its not used in a very bass context.

Yep, to great effect for Zakk Wylde style riffage!

I tend to use quite a lot of gain on my amp settings which helps and I push the tone to the max on the bass itself. While muting the string with my middle finger of my fretting hand above the pickup, I pluck the string with my forefinger while holding the note and behold! A glorious pinch harmonic. Took me a while to get the hang of it, you'll need to practice for a while to get em ringing nice and clear.

Works best on 3rd, 5th, 7th and 12th but I can make it work on every fret up to about 18.

To get ultra pronounced harmonics, bump up the treble and use some overdrive/fuzz etc.

Truckstop

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1336949114' post='1653219']
Don't think its a pinch, but its doing harmonics with the right hand, I picked it up from this vid:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUcj2qujAxY[/media]

about 2.30 in. Except I pull more faces doing it, with more gain. Its not used in a very bass context.
[/quote]

it's ridiculous in this: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKXn-1v75Gg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKXn-1v75Gg[/url]

Steve Bailey is the man

[quote name='stonecoldbass' timestamp='1336980429' post='1653343']
Man, Jaco's hands are absolutely MASSIVE!!! Surely that was an advantage....?!?!
[/quote]

Not as big as Stanley Clarke's!! :blink: BTW, Jaco's thumbs don't half bend backwards....

I use Jaco's technique on the rare occasion I want false harmonics. Steve Bailey's way no doubt works for him (massive understatement!) but I can't do it like that. In fact, I can't do anything like Steve Bailey. What an awesome player!

Edited by Conan

I use a literal pinch motion, with my thumb touching the string for the harmonic and my index finer plucking behind it. I always seem to get a bit more out of them by bending. They can be very useful, eg: in a 3 piece covers band, playing the 2nd (octave higher) guitar part in the intro of "Are you gonna go my way". I can't imagine why any bass player wouldn't use them in this context, but I rarely see them played.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1337014186' post='1654029']
I use a literal pinch motion, with my thumb touching the string for the harmonic and my index finer plucking behind it. I always seem to get a bit more out of them by bending. They can be very useful, eg: in a 3 piece covers band, playing the 2nd (octave higher) guitar part in the intro of "Are you gonna go my way". I can't imagine why any bass player wouldn't use them in this context, but I rarely see them played.
[/quote]

I don't use them any more put that's how I did it. But using the nail on my index finger to pluck the string.
I learnt it from a Billy Sheehan video back in the 80s.

[quote name='stonecoldbass' timestamp='1336980429' post='1653343']
Man, Jaco's hands are absolutely MASSIVE!!! Surely that was an advantage....?!?!
[/quote]

My hands look monstrous playing a 4 string, I only realised when i watched a video of Sunday night's gig :blink: Not sure if it's good or bad :lol: