Why become a member? ×

Got a new bass today, has issues...

CBbass

I got a brand new american special precision today. First off the aesthetics of this bass are exactly what I'm after, the neck is also perfect for me (the ultimate selling point). Not too slim like a Jazz, not too wide like a vintage P. The frets are great and the slightly "rolled" edges are fantastic to play on. I could list things all day about things I like about this particular model and especially the neck, however, there are 2 things which bother me.

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]1. Slight neck gap - I've seen many basses with perfect neck pockets with a nice tight fit. This one whilst definitely not the biggest gap, is certainly visible by the treble side. I can't fit a work card down there but I can fit a 2 sheets of paper. Yes some would call this picky, but I am picky and I paid full price for a USA Fend[/font][size=4]er made bass.[/size]

2. Dead spot - [size=4]again, as with the gap, this is defiantly not the worst dead spot I've heard and in fact it's probably far from it. It is however a dead spot on a graphite truss neck of which I was under the impression was supposed to eliminate in most problems on models with these truss rods. I was hoping to be free of this problem [/size] [size=4] <_<. I do know this is very common on Fenders though.[/size]

I'm not really sure what to do, I got this bass £100 cheaper than everywhere else but you could bet I would pay £100, hell even £200 more to have a perfect one, cash wasn't an issue when buying this. I could have gone custom shop if I really wanted to. I had to wait 1 1/2 months for this to come from the USA because they were out of stock. It's an authorised Fender dealer but it's not a very well known store within the UK so I would feel a little bad for returning it...

Here's the returns policy '[font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]We recommend that goods are returned using Recorded Delivery as we cannot accept responsibility for items lost in transit. We will only refund shipping costs if the item is defective.'[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]Would you guys say dead spots and a gap count as a defect? Who knows, I might come to love this bass but I just feel a little dissapointed. I have been bassless for 2 months and this is my only bass. I don't have a band or anything so there's nothing I "need" a bass for at the ready. I'm honestly at a loss of what I should do, I don't know if I'm being picky. I don't want to settle on my only bass though.[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]Thanks![/size][/font]

Fenders eh..you'd have thought with them being so well known that they'd make the effort to get it right...probably explains why there are so many other companies selling basses..

Fender have no concept of quality control!!

Send it back and get something that's been put together properly.

Dead spots are a fact on guitars, even those with graphite necks. My Status S2 fretless has a dead spot on the open D. Rob Green states quite clearly that even graphite necks have dead spots. You might exchange the bass for another with a dead spot in another place.

Neck pocket is another issue. With all the computer controlled cutting they have in factories these days I can't understand that one.

I'd be sending it back even if it meant paying the postage, neither of my £250 Squiers have them problems so it's not something I'd accept on a bass costing three times as much, at that price I'd want to see & play it before handing over the money.

I know about how common dead spots actually are, honestly I could probably live with it. It's really the "best" dead spot I've played on a bass in which I've actually noticed. The neck pocket just bugs me though. I used to play guitar exclusively until I signed up here. I bought a stingray on the forum which is the best QC bass I've possibly played. I don't really remember any dead spots, came perfectly set up and every aspect was perfect. This isn't the fact that I miss it or anything, I remember holding back selling it for a while because it was made that well! Shame I didn't care for the model. My point is, I know what a good instrument is meant to look and feel like, if I get a bass I compare aspects to that bass and this one certainly isn't as good. I don't know if the company would accept it as a defective instrument based on these 2 minor flaws.

As BassBus mentioned, I really don't understand how this issue persists with today technology...

distance selling regs mean you can send it back- you may find it harder to claim 'defective' as I'm sure fender have fairly wide tolerances but for £25 or whatever for recorded insured delivery I would send it back.
I do also think that maybe you should think about what level of quality you expect- what you have is what I would expect for fender USA so it doesn't surprise me.

A quick half click of the rod with an allen key and then quarter back off usually sorts any dead spots.
When you pick up and play the squire vintage modified precision, it certainly gives the new USA stuff a right run for its money, if only they said fender on top...

I'd send it back, get the refund and then get around to see and play some basses before buying. You can get dead spots on almost anything and even the best luthiers can struggle to get around the issue. A dodgy neck pocket could be very difficult to forget and shouldn't happen on more expensive basses. In my opinion, the bass could be described as defective (though it's such a subjective term). Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1336659552' post='1649070']
Which is why you should never buy a Fender (or any other mass-produced bass) without trying it first.

And send it back.
[/quote]

see a year or so ago I would buy all sorts off here or the net without trying it first. I've not found a bad one yet but I'm not sure I would do it anymore. Maybe I'm just getting more picky?

if you're not happy with mate then send it back,if you keep it you'll never be happy with it & most likley wish you'd returned when you could have done.
having said that the gap in the neck pocket,2 sheets of paper,that sounds like a very small gap to me & wouldn't worry as long as the bass played well,as for the dead spot now that would piss me off. last year i bought a MIA P bass from my local dealer which had a high fret which needed sorting,my dealer was a total arse about it but i insisted he sorted it,he begrudgingly did.
so if you're not happy don't keep it.

Reminds me, I bought a vm jazz, went up to check it out, although was going to order on the net, good job I didn't as the one they had boxed up was awful, 3 piece body with the joins clearly visible, the control plate wonky and the controls barely turned, needless to say I bought the display one :) they didn't seem to bothered to listen to my concerns on the other though! Some poor sods probably bought it

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1336659679' post='1649075']
If you don't send it back the irritation will fester until you can't stand it any more, at which point you'll sell it on.... for a big loss.

Best thing is to send it back now.
[/quote]

Probably the best advice yet.... +1

Poorly cut heel pockets is very common on Fender instruments. More so on MIM guitars and basses, but you will get one or two breaking out of the other plants too. My Hendrix tribute guitar has the same poor craftsmanship. You can almost fit a 5p coin in the gap. I should have noticed when I bought it, but I still expect more for the price I paid for it. I have seen this problem on so many Fenders over the years. Very disapointing.

The USA stuff is getting harder to shift as well, my local store had 4 Rickenbacker 4003 offered from the Distributor, they declined them as they fear a price drop on USA stuff in general, but unusual to have a distributor calling trying to move stock on, normally the Ricks are order only.
Often with mail order, they try it on with returns or bad shop stock.
As said, this should sit in your hands and be the most beautiful thing you have ever played if not return it.
However My advice is on Precisions, look for a mint USA Corona string through from the late ninetys to early naughties, they absolutely sing like a newly strung piano.

It sounds like, all things considered, you got a really fine P-bass. These two details have been standard fare for Fender since the first P-bass in 1951. What kind of tuners do you have? If you have the large traditional Schaller/Elephant ear pickups, changing them out with Hipshot Ultralights will save about 1/4 kg in weight. This will change the resonance of the neck (as well as cure any "neck dive). Also, playing a slightly heavier string, and the resulting tightening of the truss rod, will also change the "mechanical impedance" of the neck, changing the overall resonance, and may help the dead spot also.

Edited by iiipopes

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1336659679' post='1649075']
If you don't send it back the irritation will fester until you can't stand it any more, at which point you'll sell it on.... for a big loss.

Best thing is to send it back now.
[/quote]

Great advice, thanks. :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1336659552' post='1649070']
Which is why you should never buy a Fender (or any other mass-produced bass) without trying it first.
[/quote]

I know this sounds picky, but I don't think I would ever even buy a bass without trying it first, no matter what.

Edited by EskimoBassist

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1336660319' post='1649091']
It sounds like, all things considered, you got a really fine P-bass. These two details have been standard fare for Fender since the first P-bass in 1951. What kind of tuners do you have? If you have the large traditional Schaller/Elephant ear pickups, changing them out with Hipshot Ultralights will save about 1/4 kg in weight. This will change the resonance of the neck (as well as cure any "neck dive). Also, playing a slightly heavier string, and the resulting tightening of the truss rod, will also change the "mechanical impedance" of the neck, changing the overall resonance, and may help the dead spot also.
[/quote]

Stock american special tuners, you find them on highways and certainly the same design used on MiM. I actually like the look of them and I know if I start to notice problems that schaller do a very nice replacement set (same design, drop in with no mods). Hardware can be changed and doesn't bother me regardless. The craftsmanship of the wood is the only thing can bothers me really. I also agree that it's a fine bass, IMO the best P bass design yet. I can actually live with the deadspot too I think. Neck pockets have always been my #1 pet peeve which is which it's such an issue to me. It sucks that one tiny aspect of a guitar can ruin the entire thing. Usually I ask sellers for neck pocket pics but I didn't have the choice this time. :(