Why become a member? ×

holy crap! i tried an ibanez sr300 today...

tommorichards

It sounded amazing. I went to a music shop in liverpool, and saw they had one, so gave it a go. the neck was amazing and thin, the pickups and the eq were fantastic, especially with the arch they have so you can't dig in loads. and the slap/fingerstyle control was fantastic. I now know i need one. Any you guys got any?

I have an SR1300 in the for sale section. It is a custom made SR with super skinny neck and this one has all the bling and quality of a hand made super bass plus some amazing upgraded for not much money. Ibanez make some very good instruments and they make awesome high-end stuff.

SHAMELESS PLUG!

I like a bit of chunk in my hand. Check out the basses in my sig, they all have necks chunkier than a Jazz. My BB1300 has the skinniest neck of the others and that's not exactly slim. I also like big bodies. The Ibanez is awesome in both active and passive mode and it's light but it's a bit too sophisticated and nice for me, I like what I like: Chunky Japanese Monsters rather than sleek, stylish Japanese elegance.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1335637975' post='1634169']
I really like the weight and feel but I prefer the SR50X series with the bartolinis.
[/quote]

Yep.
I'm using a 505 and just haven't seen, heard or played anything that I'd want to replace it with.
If the SR300 is just half as good as an SR50X, then it's going to be an absolutely cracking instrument.

I'm wanting to try an SR5005 to see if it really could be an improvement on the SR505.

I don't think Yam BBs are specifically known for chunky necks, they have loads of different neck profiles depending on the model but all of them tend to be more chunky than a Jazz. My BB400s had a proper P type profile, my BB2024x has a neck similar in profile to the Sterling, which is definitely meatier than a Jazz but not as much as a traditional P type. Yam BBs are pretty hefty things to handle even if they're not heavy. I'm smitten so I'm probably the wrong guy to get objective opinion from.

Edited by Sean

A bit nerdy, but I just wondered whether the OP had been trying out the newer [url="http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-SR300"]SR300[/url], without the style sweep EQ but the newer CAP pups, or the older 300 like mine with the EXF pups.

Great bass for it's money. I've tried a few other basses lately and they don't feel as good as the SR to me. The SR just sits right. Sound wise, really versatile. I can get to thump, growl, twang, be REALL PHAT and all sorts.

I tried a 500 and 700 recently and the Bart pick ups are lovely. Played them through the same combo I have, had the EQ set flat, brilliant sound. They did feel a little more, well yes, more than the 300 if you get my whatever :blink:

Must admit I have been looking at one of these [url="http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-SR400QM"]http://www.ibanez.co...s/model-SR400QM[/url] :gas: . I saw one in my LMS and it looks bloody awesome. Hence my question regards the pups on the 300.

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1335656514' post='1634395']
It was the older one with the sweep. I loved that little thing. Not too sure what it does, but makes a slap sound really good.
[/quote]

It adjusts two frequencies, 100Hz and 10kHz. It cuts them by 5db for the fingerstyle, emphasising the mids, and in slap it boosts them by 10db to give that scooped mid sound.

Hell, I sound like a real nerd :)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1335685506' post='1634486']

It adjusts two frequencies, 100Hz and 10kHz. It cuts them by 5db for the fingerstyle, emphasising the mids, and in slap it boosts them by 10db to give that scooped mid sound.

Hell, I sound like a real nerd :)
[/quote]
The World needs real nerds, fake ones are no good to anybody.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1335644890' post='1634261']
Yep.
I'm using a 505 and just haven't seen, heard or played anything that I'd want to replace it with.
If the SR300 is just half as good as an SR50X, then it's going to be an absolutely cracking instrument.

I'm wanting to try an SR5005 to see if it really could be an improvement on the SR505.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm using a 505 at the moment (the older one without the mid frequency switch), and think it's brilliant.
I used to find it too bright and zingy, and always played with the treble backed right off, but have recently changed to Status half rounds and loving it even more.
Now liking the sound with all the EQs about flat, which leaves me plenty of room for adjustments!

I'd like to try a 5005 as well, but to be honest the 505 is a better bass than I am a player, so can't really justify anything better.

Mind you I'd quite like the 605, purely on aesthetics, which is far as I can see is the 505 with an Ash body.

(SR 4505 also looks nice, but so it should at around 2 grand !)

[quote name='concord1' timestamp='1335731842' post='1635227']
I've got the Ibanez [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]SR600 with the bartolinis. Great range of tone adjustability. Slim neck suits me too. Not a heavy bass and balanced. Play it through Hartke LH500 and 4.5xl cab[/font][/color]
[/quote]

I saw a S/H 600 the other day, one of the newer ones, [url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eb_page12.php?area_id=3&data_id=90&color=CL01&year=2012&cat_id=2&series_id=17"]like this[/url], with the mid switch and extended neck joint. Very tempting for the price.

I had an Amber SR700 for a year or so. Beautiful piece of work, very well built, superb setup and oozed quality. However I eventually began to struggle with the very slim neck - I started suffering cramp in my left hand after extended playing, and it took me ages to realise it was the neck causing this. I'd never had the problem with other (thicker necked) instruments, and now I play J and P type basses without problem.

I'd still recommend an SR to anyone though - just make sure you get on with the neck.

Cheers

Geoff