Why become a member? ×

Bad service or just bad luck??

Wooks

I've bought a Peavey Cirrus 5 string bass just after Christams. It developed what it turns out is a known problem by Peavey, in that the 18v preamp circuitry drains the batteries in 20 hours or less usage :) So I sent it via my dealer back to Peavey for them to replace the lectrics under warranty. So it went away and I was without her for a couple of weeks. Then 5 weeks ago she developed a problem with the treble pot in that when you turned it it made a good damn awful crackling sound which turned into a what sounded like a hip hop dj had crawled inside and was scratching his vinyl big style!!!
So my dealer "sent" her back for another repair only Peavey or they say the courier "forgot" to pick her up so she was languishing at the dealers for 2 weeks before she finally went back. I spoke to my dealer and they said that last week she was being worked on. Then this morning the phone call came she was back...yippeeee! Ahh not so, she has been damaged in transit from Peavey to my dealer and has a nice dent in her bottom on the edge. :huh:
The reason being Peavey hadn't packaged her up safe and snuggly, she inside her box that hadn't been properly packed or taped up!! This box inside another box with very little packaging or support to the guitar box ;) What looks like has happend is during the journey she has slipped out of her box and has been "bouncing" around in the other box ;) :huh: So now she's got to go back to Peavey yet again for assessment to see what they are going to do next.
Now I'm not singling out Peavey, but have I been unlucky with their level of customer service or is this the norm with Peavey and guitar companies in general?? I am interested to hear of other problems you guys have had.
I'll keep you up to date with things has they unfold, it'll be interesting to see if you cough up some freebies at least!!???

I've had worse service, although I'm not gonna mention any names. I sent a faulty cab back 5 times before they finally fixed it . When I complained directly to the manufacturer they sorted out the problem faster then the speed of light.

I would write a letter of complaint to Peavey. Try and find out the name of someone high up at Peavey UK and write direct to him (or her). You've suffered an unreasonable amount of aggro and also you shouldn't settle for a few token freebies.

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='178033' date='Apr 16 2008, 04:51 PM']I've had worse service, although I'm not gonna mention any names. I sent a faulty cab back 5 times before they finally fixed it . When I complained directly to the manufacturer they sorted out the problem faster then the speed of light.

I would write a letter of complaint to Peavey. Try and find out the name of someone high up at Peavey UK and write direct to him (or her). You've suffered an unreasonable amount of aggro and also you shouldn't settle for a few token freebies.[/quote]
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll contact Peavey UK tomorrow and find out who I can either speak to or like you said somebody high up who I can write to, to try and sort this out!

My Millenium AC bxp has the same pups and pre-amp AFAIK, and suffers from exactly the same problem. No, I foolishly didn't register the bass and I've had it for 18 months. I love the bass apart from this problem. Does anyone know if there is an easy fix that a guitar tech or someone who knows their wiring/pups could do?

I found out about the preamp problem by finding out that Peavey were selling gear on their fleabay site, and subsequently my cirrus developed the problem! I spoke to Peavey and they said it would cost £105 to have them do the repair or I think £60 if they sent you the bits and you do it for yourself. Might be worth giving them a call.

[quote name='Wooks' post='178176' date='Apr 16 2008, 06:47 PM']I found out about the preamp problem by finding out that Peavey were selling gear on their fleabay site, and subsequently my cirrus developed the problem! I spoke to Peavey and they said it would cost £105 to have them do the repair or I think £60 if they sent you the bits and you do it for yourself. Might be worth giving them a call.[/quote]

Thanks for the update. The bass was only 195 new, and it probably isn't worth the cost considering the bass is my main gigging bass and has a fair bit of wear on it. I'm making do with rechargeable batteries at the moment. This was my first active bass so it took me a while to realise it wasn't just normal (regular gigging) use causing the batteries to drain so fast.

A small update, just spoken to somebody at Peavey who are looking into what's happened and is going to get back to me with the possibility of giving me a new bass to replace my damaged one! Will let you know what the next step is laters.

JUst been on the phone to Peavey and it looks like I'm getting a Cirrus 5 string as a replacement for my damaged one. They are going to make sure it hasn't got he preamp prob, and make sure it is setup nicely. Plus a few bits thrown in as a form of compensation for the way they have messed this up. Not sure what I'm going to get but I'll be back with news once I get my baby back, which will hopefully be early next week...fingers crossed :)

[quote name='Wooks' post='178933' date='Apr 17 2008, 03:30 PM']JUst been on the phone to Peavey and it looks like I'm getting a Cirrus 5 string as a replacement for my damaged one. They are going to make sure it hasn't got he preamp prob, and make sure it is setup nicely. Plus a few bits thrown in as a form of compensation for the way they have messed this up. Not sure what I'm going to get but I'll be back with news once I get my baby back, which will hopefully be early next week...fingers crossed :)[/quote]

Sounds like a good result, it's always worth a call to the guilty party!

[quote name='Machines' post='179205' date='Apr 17 2008, 07:35 PM']It always helps to mention the large bass community you're a part of too :).[/quote]

That's a good idea, I may have to try this one out if I'm unlucky enough to have any gear go wrong on me.

Wooks - sounds like you've got a result if they're replacing it with freebies, still a pain in the arse though. Hope it works out mate.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='179408' date='Apr 18 2008, 12:27 AM']That's a good idea, I may have to try this one out if I'm unlucky enough to have any gear go wrong on me.

Wooks - sounds like you've got a result if they're replacing it with freebies, still a pain in the arse though. Hope it works out mate.[/quote]
Thanks mate I'll keep you posted when the newbie arrives with what sweeteners they throw in, which hopefully will be early next week :brow:

Well the saga of my Peavey Cirrus bass came to a sad demise today/yesterday. I left you with the promise of a new bass and some freebies. Well yesterday the "new" Cirrus arrived inside a nice new hard case, which was sweet. I opened the case with anticipation and when the lid was pulled open my heart sank, my lovely Dark Tiger's Eye wasn't inside but an insipid blonde T.E. :huh:( OHH no I thought then upon closer inspection I noticed that the strings which I was told were "new" looked like they had been on it for years, the were black and grubby, and totally awful. But I thought I'll give Peavey the benefit of the doubt and took her home for a closer inspection and play her in the comfort of my own home. Bearing in mind I was promised that it would "setup" properly before it was set out to me.
So I hooked it up to my amp and immediately noticed that the pickups were set so low I couldn't rest my thumb on them to play, I could bearly rest my thumbnail on them, a great start. I checked her tuning it was slightly out, no great shakes, but the intonation was well out. By now I was just getting so frustrated, so I started to play with it and immediatley I could tell that it just didn't feel right.
So I rang Peavey up to find out what the score was about why it was this dirty blonde colour and I was informed it was probably down to the new manufacturing processes that they have to adhere too now!??! :) When I asked about the strings I was told that they were new strings, yeah right. My strings on my ESP which have been on him since Christmas are in better condition!! And as for the tuning and intonation I was told it had been checked by 3 separate people one who was supposed to be an "experienced" bass player, yet again...yeah right. He wants to go back to school and learn how to tune and get the intonation right! :huh:
So basically the end of it was I took it back to my dealer this morning and they have given me a full refund. So thanks to the ineptitude of some f%$£&*g muppet at Peavey who didn't bother his arse to package my original Cirrus up properly for transportation, I'm now without my beloved 5 string and I've got the aggrevation of trying to find a replacement, no thanks to Peavey! ;) ;) It's a good thing that I'm not in a band!! This is just what I need.
So I'm open to sugggestions of a suitable replacement that I can get for around the £350 mark???????

sounds like you've been really unlucky mate and properly messed about, I would be fecking peeved about it if it was me who got treated like that.

Bass for £350...5 string i presume? you can get a Warwick Streamer Standard 5 string for not a lot more than that (i bloody love warwicks and the 'standard' isn't a rockbass). I've got the 4 string standard amongst other newer warwicks and it's amazing for the money, keep your eyes out and you might be able to pick up a good condish 5 string version 2nd hand on the cheap.

Edited by benwhiteuk

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='183921' date='Apr 23 2008, 04:16 PM']sounds like you've been really unlucky mate and properly messed about, I would be fecking peeved about it if it was me who got treated like that.

Bass for £350...5 string i presume? you can get a Warwick Streamer Standard 5 string for not a lot more than that (i bloody love warwicks and the 'standard' isn't a rockbass). I've got the 4 string standard amongst other newer warwicks and it's amazing for the money, keep your eyes out and you might be able to pick up a good condish 5 string version 2nd hand on the cheap.[/quote]
Thanks for you comments mate, yeah I'm pretty p$$$$d off to say the least!
Yeah a 5er and that's a good call for the Warwick, I love Warwick's they are so freaking cool, no matter what style you want to play whether it be metal, rock, jazz blues you will always get an awesome sound out of a Warwick. I'll have keep my eyes and ears open, and keep checking fleabay!

[quote name='Wooks' post='183927' date='Apr 23 2008, 04:24 PM']Thanks for you comments mate, yeah I'm pretty p$$$$d off to say the least!
Yeah a 5er and that's a good call for the Warwick, I love Warwick's they are so freaking cool, no matter what style you want to play whether it be metal, rock, jazz blues you will always get an awesome sound out of a Warwick. I'll have keep my eyes and ears open, and keep checking fleabay![/quote]

You don't need to bother with Fleabay: [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_rockbass_streamer_standard_5_nhp.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_rockbass_...ndard_5_nhp.htm[/url]

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='184245' date='Apr 24 2008, 01:19 AM']peavey going to take their bass back and give you a refund? don't settle for what they have given you.[/quote]
Not a lot I can do really I've already taken the bass back and I've got my refund. What else can I can besides writing to Hartley Peavey himself to complain? What good will that do really?

Sorry to hear about your troubles. A member of my band has had recurring issues with his Peavey guitar amp and it's not a cheapy either. He had it back from repair again and after a week the same problems reoccurred, even though it's still under guarantee the customer service side of things doesn't sound impressive by any means.

I don't think it would hurt for Peavey to know that their customer service is being discussed in a less than positive manner on a forum like this.

[quote name='Wooks' post='184310' date='Apr 24 2008, 09:08 AM']Not a lot I can do really I've already taken the bass back and I've got my refund. What else can I can besides writing to Hartley Peavey himself to complain? What good will that do really?[/quote]

I remember reading somewhere that someone complained to, i think, Vintage about the quality of the instrument he purchased. MD got in touch and sorted him out a nice one.

[quote name='thedarxide' post='184325' date='Apr 24 2008, 09:44 AM']I remember reading somewhere that someone complained to, i think, Vintage about the quality of the instrument he purchased. MD got in touch and sorted him out a nice one.[/quote]
I spoke to Peavey's service manager who was supposed to sorted me out with a "new" one and it wasn't what I expected or wanted in terms as a replacemnet for my damaged one, hence the reason why I got my refund. So it's a bit too late to complain to somebody any higher, don't you think?? Or is it???? :)

[quote name='Wooks' post='184335' date='Apr 24 2008, 10:06 AM']I spoke to Peavey's service manager who was supposed to sorted me out with a "new" one and it wasn't what I expected or wanted in terms as a replacemnet for my damaged one, hence the reason why I got my refund. So it's a bit too late to complain to somebody any higher, don't you think?? Or is it???? :huh:[/quote]

Milk it for all it's worth mate. Peavey are a massive guitar company who wouldn’t want rumours about disgraceful customer service and support to be filtered out through forums like this so get in contact with someone higher than a customer service manager if it's possible and ask for an explanation to why they have wasted so much of your time and why they think it’s alright to replace your bass, which they broke, with something that isn’t an acceptable representation of the original and could be considered as 2nd hand. That's what I'd probably do, probably being the key word though because I'm a lazy arse at the best of times :)

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='184543' date='Apr 24 2008, 02:43 PM']I'm a lazy arse at the best of times :)[/quote]
I know that feeling But yeah I think it's worth pursuing this further! I'll keep you posted on future developments