Why become a member? ×

Black box car insurance for musicians?

timo

I'm about to get a car and being my first, being 24 and having had a license for less than a year means insurance is a bit brutal. I've managed to get a lowest of about £2200 for a 1.2 Skoda Fabia estate (I need something big ish to fit double bass, amps, other gear and ideally a person or two in) with Admiral. I'm trying to get a quote from a black box insurer but the ones I've tried don't cover musicians. Does anyone know a black box company that will give me a quote?

1. You don't need an estate, i've got the skoda fabia hatchback and DB with full rig (2x 1x12) fits fine with another person in.

2. i went with ensleigh, who have a scheme where after 6 months of no claim they give you a years no claim bonus. So after 6 months its cheaper. I paid £900 for the first 6 months and it shouldn't be more than £500 for the next 6 months.

Admiral had me down for £2800, I'm 21.

Edited by blackmn90

Looks like you need to be a student for the 6 months thing... There's not much difference between the hatchback and the estate as they're group 1 and 2 respectively and the extra couple of inches can always be filled with something!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1335457453' post='1631568']
£2200??!!! Christ.
[/quote]
It's no surprise that folk are driving around uninsured.
I remember paying £72 TPFT on my stage3 modified Triumph Spitfire when I was 21 or 22.......and I thought that was a bit steep then.

If the black box gives you a bad report for driving late at night ...

... and it is also known for marking you badly if you frequently change direction at normal driving speeds (which could be indicative of weaving about on a fairly straight dual carriageway, but is actually quite normal behaviour on twisty B-class country roads) ...

... then it's high time those damned insurance ripoff merchants got a bollocking and started to understand what driving in the real world is like, and the difference between what is dodgy/unsafe behaviour and perfectly normal.

I am not surprised that people drive without insurance.

I was once told that musicians get stung for a premium not because they carry expensive kit (the kit isn't insured by the car insurance anyway), and not necessarily because they're always stoned or drunk, but because they (wait for this) might give a lift to somebody famous and if there's a crash and the famous person goes through the windscreen they'll sue for a lot of money for the facial disfigurement! This "explanation" for ridiculously high premiums for musicians was given by an insurance salesman with a completely serious straight face to a self-employed guitar tutor.

Draw your own conclusions.

Cheers guys, managed to get it down to under £1500 on Admiral 10 month accelerator policy with a couple of mates on there as named drivers and saving an extra £200 by keeping the car on the road not my drive and not having an immobiliser (which makes perfect sense...) :huh: