Why become a member? ×

New amp day tomorrow...

4 Strings

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1335397863' post='1630616']
Oh all right, what amp are you getting?? :huh:
[/quote]

Who me?? Oh, erm, well it looks like a Line 6 (to my son's dismay) but has 3 [u]real[/u] valves, is tiny but hideously expensive and for this reason I will sound like [s]Jimmy[/s] Bernard Edwards.

Have I given it away?

It [u]should[/u] arrive before lunch when I will put up a pic and the first person to have guessed right will be able to say "Ha! See, I know stuff!" Who will it be?

[url="http://dustyoldamp.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/march-15-2012-005a.jpg"][/url]

Its one of these isn't it. Few valves, reasonably portable with a trolley and very chic to say the least. :D

Good luck and all the best with whatever it is.

Cheers
Dave

I have to say, that looks better! This one has a blue lit panel on the front (hence the Line6 look) showing off its valves in a cheap, ostentatious, chinese/american way (made in the US - I'm led to believe).

This is its low point.

(Apparently it does low sound better!)

Its here! <childish jumping>

Played russian dolls with the packaging.

[attachment=106164:26042012.jpg]
[attachment=106165:26042012(001).jpg]
[attachment=106166:26042012(002).jpg]

Had a quick blow.

Very impressive, I have to say. Amp sounded great too!

Serious review to come. Thanks for humouring me!

Rude lot. Can't let her see this now!

Actually, Oldman, it was the blue glowy glass (plastic actually, cheapskates) thing that made it all a bit Line 6 for me. Nearly lost a sale they did.

The distortion knob (here we go again!) is a subtle one, might learn to use that for the Motown. Only got one Speakon made up so had only speaker on the go (Midget T) but it was [u]very[/u] loud, clear and punchy - certainly brought more out of the Midget than any other amp I've put through it. Not as warm as I was expecting, but this was a quick 15 minute blast.

I've got lots of use (two gigs - one in a huge hall and two rehearsals - one very noisy) in the next 5 days and looking forward to putting it through its paces and hearing it at work before the week's trial is up.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1335429634' post='1630787']
I have to say, that looks better! This one has a blue lit panel on the front (hence the Line6 look) showing off its valves in a cheap, ostentatious, chinese/american way (made in the US - I'm led to believe).

This is its low point.

(Apparently it does low sound better!)
[/quote]That'll be a Streamliner then
Edit: Beaten to it, but still loving my STM6.0

Edited by WalMan

Just back from the gig in a big hall.

It was big too, nearly 250 seated at tables + dance space. Pa for 3 x vox, sax and bass drum only and I had my Compact. I have to say the set up is very impressive, there's no weight to the tiny amp and cab and they sat a little lost on the large stage but filled the hall with resounding Motown bass with the master volume at 9 O Clock (7 O Clock is actually off and 5 O Clock is fully on).

I've got to get a feel for the controls as yet but a bit of boost on the 220Hz mid kept things clear, everything else flat. '76 P with Trubass and tone rolled off, it gave a very warm but solid sound. Not bloated as towards the end of the sound check I was asked to add more bottom so I tweaked the bass to 1 OClock. Its a big sound!

If the bass is boomy I get asked to turn down so that I can't hear myself. With such a clear sound I was asked to turn up, (doesn't happen often!) and lots of compliments about the overall sound afterwards. Very pleased so far, it can do a good Motown which is important to me.