Why become a member? ×

Cab to compliment a Barfaced Compact.

Prime_BASS

I am working on a bi-amp rig now to help get better definition between clean/sub and dirtyness.

Ideally I would just get either a Midget or another Compact but I have to buy second have to try and keep the cab cost under £400 (have to buy another MarkBass head too) and everytime either comes up it's gone before the end of the day, and I'm always late to the party, always the bridesmaid never the bride.

I know there must be few other compact/light bass cabs out there that would match a Compact fairly well. I just have no idea what to look for really, and would rather not waste Alex's time with a(nother) email.

My only requirements is that it's 8 ohm (to run with the compact with just 1 head for a more standard setup) is light and compact, I guess sound and bottom end isn't a massive thing since it's going to primarily used for dirt and very little bass. I would prefer it not to be something like a 2x10 to stay away from unclear midrange but if the cab is amazing I don't see why not.

It also has to cost less than £400 used.

I was thinking a Markbass cab one of teh Markbass cabs (1x15 or 1x12) but like I said I have no idea what to look for when matching cabs.

EBS NEO 110 or 112 would be great for your noise channel (As I know what your setup is and what you are trying to do)... but I'd personally just do parallel effects chains leaving one side totally empty... personally. Save yourself the extra amp and cab and replace it with an LS-2

When you say 'biamp', do you know what 'biamp' means? The compact is a full range cab an not suited to inclusion in a bi-amp rig. Anything that is suited to a bimap setup won't be suited to running with the compact with one head.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1335287189' post='1628707']
When you say 'biamp', do you know what 'biamp' means? The compact is a full range cab an not suited to inclusion in a bi-amp rig. Anything that is suited to a bimap setup won't be suited to running with the compact with one head.
[/quote]

He's running a 2-rig stereo set up not a bi-amp set up.

One rig is 'clean' the other rig is 'dirty'. Wrong terminology.

If it was I, I would do what Shep suggests & split your signal, putting one as a sub channel & the other for your FX & then sum them back together. It's what I do as well. You still get to hear the clean sub & the dirty overtones as two separate sounds (your compact will play more than one sound at a time).
There's loads of different ways to split & sum. I use a Moog Bass Murf to split & a home built 2 channel mixer pedal to sum them together (with a bypass switch as well).

Then instead of buying another amp & cab, you can just get another Compact if you need it.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1335286761' post='1628694']
EBS NEO 110 or 112 would be great for your noise channel (As I know what your setup is and what you are trying to do)... but I'd personally just do parallel effects chains leaving one side totally empty... personally. Save yourself the extra amp and cab and replace it with an LS-2
[/quote]
I have an LS-2 :) At the minute it's splitting signal. I will take a look at the EBS neo 112, as thats what I first started testing with anyway.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1335290321' post='1628779']
+1. Bass cabs are made to run clean, guitar cabs are made to run dirty.
[/quote]
I see your point and raise you by the fact that the cab would be serving more than one purpose which is why it's ideal to have another bass cab. I can't really use a guitar cab in my normal setup.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1335292153' post='1628828']
Always goo to consider the contribution of guitar speakers to a dirty sound, smooths the top, and adds some breakup of their own, and a nice mid bump generally. Something like a Sansamp GT2 does have a go at replicating that if you go for the signal end mix.
[/quote]

I have been ATM dual mono(or whatever) running my bass rig and my old old guitar rig (4x12 and somoe transistor head) while it sounds good, with good results, but in the real world the audience (and if i'm honest myself) won't really hear the difference between bass cab/amp and guitar cab/amp. I also want to reiterate the point that the cab and amp won't just serve the dirty needs it will be coupled with the compact with for my normal setup, which is bass - tuner - comp - head - cab.

Edited by Prime_BASS

Playing guitar into a bass cab does really show up a lot, if the guitary sort of drive is what you are after, it is a big deal. If you need to match two cabs from the same amp, you need to basically aim for drivers with the same motor to preserve the phase alignment and arrange the port output to be in phase. If sound isn't really an issue, then doing the mixing pre input is the way to go.

Why not place an ad on here in the Items Wanted section, stating you have £400 of the Queens finest for a Compact or Midget (seems the going rate for each 2nd hand at present)?

And add that to your signature as well. You may strike lucky doing this.