Why become a member? ×

Cash Generator discovery...

Mokl

[quote name='Mokl' post='178207' date='Apr 16 2008, 07:08 PM']Here's a couple of quick snaps. Needs a good polish and some touch up paint, but I think it'll polish up okay. Electrics all working well and sounding good - sounds not unlike to my Wal to be honest, and a similar feel too. If anyone can cast any light as to age/model/value, I'd be very grateful!

[/quote]
I think it's a Goodfellow Bass made by Lowden Guitars in Northern Ireland in the mid 90s; see here:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avalon_Guitars"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avalon_Guitars[/url]

As I understand it, Bernie Goodfellow lost control of the Goodfellow name in the late 80s or early 90s and so he started Nightingale Basses in Denmark Street, London for a while before he finally set up GB Guitars in Brighton which is where he is now.

Lowden bought/owned the Goodfellow Bass name and the actual body design was very much like an early Goodfellow bass. I had one of these for a while in 1995 which cost me about £700 at the time, and it had a mahogony core like a Wal Custom (hence the tonal similarity you mention) and Kent Armstrong pick ups I think. It was a very nice bass but not quite in the class of an early handmade Bernie Goodfellow 'Goodfellow Bass' (if that makes sense)..

So, although it's not one of Bernie's originals, you've definitely got a bargain and these are quite rare basses, so congratulations on your good fortune!

[quote name='3V17C' post='178330' date='Apr 16 2008, 09:13 PM']well its defo an early goodfellow and if you got it fdr the price of a used squire thats a bargain! the body shape is the same as my old 001 with the bump out of the bottom and two strap buttons. mine had the same 'G' logo but not the writing underneath. here she be...when last seen for sale in a shop somewhere! doh - big mistake getting rid of that!

[attachment=7800:Goodfellowbass.jpg]

peace

c[/quote]

Is that the Mark Pinto bass from Electro,nice bass played it a few times before it got sold.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='178477' date='Apr 17 2008, 12:26 AM']I think it's a Goodfellow Bass made by Lowden Guitars in Northern Ireland in the mid 90s; see here:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avalon_Guitars"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avalon_Guitars[/url]

As I understand it, Bernie Goodfellow lost control of the Goodfellow name in the late 80s or early 90s and so he started Nightingale Basses in Denmark Street, London for a while before he finally set up GB Guitars in Brighton which is where he is now.

Lowden bought/owned the Goodfellow Bass name and the actual body design was very much like an early Goodfellow bass. I had one of these for a while in 1995 which cost me about £700 at the time, and it had a mahogony core like a Wal Custom (hence the tonal similarity you mention) and Kent Armstrong pick ups I think. It was a very nice bass but not quite in the class of an early handmade Bernie Goodfellow 'Goodfellow Bass' (if that makes sense)..

So, although it's not one of Bernie's originals, you've definitely got a bargain and these are quite rare basses, so congratulations on your good fortune![/quote]

Thanks for the information, perhaps it is a Lowden model then. Oh well, still think I did pretty well as it's a great sounding and funky-looking bass. As for the pickups they have the wood-effect covers (like my Wal, again) with little notches in the bass side for your thumb to rest on - same as this one pictured on the gallery site.

[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/goodfellowclassicfl.html"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/goodfellowclassicfl.html[/url]

As I mentioned previously, there is no serial number on this bass which doesn't make it any easier to identify!

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='178541' date='Apr 17 2008, 08:36 AM']Do you mean this one? :) :huh:

[/quote]

ah no - that was the [u]2nd[/u] of my GB's i stoopidly got rid of!!! give it me back!!! go on! go on!

and yep geddysnose my other one was the mark pinto one.

peace

c

Why the secrecy of the price - people like this make me laugh - what's it bloody matter?

If you got a bargain you'll get a pat on the back, if you overpaid, then we'll just laugh...

Crack Convertors are (were?) the biggest bunch of rip off merchants I have ever come across (back in the days when I had little cash, I flogged all my expensive belongings to keep a car on the road...distinctly remember selling £1200 worth of camera gear for £250 :) )

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='178651' date='Apr 17 2008, 10:48 AM']Why the secrecy of the price - people like this make me laugh - what's it bloody matter?

If you got a bargain you'll get a pat on the back, if you overpaid, then we'll just laugh...

Crack Convertors are (were?) the biggest bunch of rip off merchants I have ever come across (back in the days when I had little cash, I flogged all my expensive belongings to keep a car on the road...distinctly remember selling £1200 worth of camera gear for £250 :) )[/quote]

yeah :huh: when my baby was born i *really* needed cash. I got £25 for a flying V copy. But I did get a nice jazz bass for £70.....

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='178651' date='Apr 17 2008, 10:48 AM']Crack Convertors are (were?) the biggest bunch of rip off merchants I have ever come across (back in the days when I had little cash, I flogged all my expensive belongings to keep a car on the road...distinctly remember selling £1200 worth of camera gear for £250 :) )[/quote]

It's a pawn shop and as such it works on the basis that you REALLY need the money and will accept whatever stupid price they offer you.
You agree the price with them ... you don't have to accept what they offer ... and ..Had you popped back a few days later with £300 you could have had the lot back

Mind you £1200 of 35 mm camera stuff is probably only worth £150 now ......

:huh:

[quote name='610*c' post='178316' date='Apr 16 2008, 09:05 PM']Nice bass. Guess where im going tomorow.. How much did you say you paid? lol[/quote]
Wolverhampton Crack Converters never seemed to have any bargains in when I was working there [1], a couple of years ago. Vastly overpriced, in fact.

[1] That's in Wolverhampton, not at CC

I suppose the idea is that if I decide to sell it on then I don't have to feel like a complete bastard for trying to make some money on it - although why I should even care given the ridiculous amount of money I have lost on bass gear (mainly through this forum) over the years is beyond me. It's kind of disrespectful to any future purchaser, if I blab on and on about how I paid £1.50 for this bass, don't you think? That was never the point of this post! I'm not short-sighted enough to think that I won't ever sell it, because I know me too well, but I thought people might find my story interesting and perhaps inspire a few more bargain discoveries in Crack-Generators across the land.

As it is I will almost certainly keep this bass as it will make a great back up for my function band duties. Got some of the dings touched up today, and it's looking much better already. Will post some more pics when I've polished it and have it looking dandy, for those amongst you who may or may not care.

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='179132' date='Apr 17 2008, 06:34 PM']I'm convinced CC sit on the real bargains (like Fenders that are obviously valuable) and hide them away out of sight until the ticket expires and you can't redeem it... then they flog them off on ebay...[/quote]

... that may be true, assuming that they know the value of what they have. To be honest, I can't imagine them putting that much effort or thought into it given the masses of stuff that must pass through their hands. So long as they make a good mark up I would be surprised if they could care very much. One of my pals has had at least half a dozen very good deals out of CC, but then he does check it with alarming regularity. I guess that is the key, plus a little luck!

[quote name='3V17C' post='177901' date='Apr 16 2008, 02:29 PM']phew! for a minute there i thought you'd rediscovered my long lost Goodfellow serial no: 001 - damn i wish i hadn't got rid of that bass!!!

anyways sounds like you got a good un - bring on the pics!

peace

c[/quote]
I saw your bass in a pawn shop in Islington (by the tube station) in 1993 - a brilliant bass! I was looking for my Wal Pro2e that had just been stolen so I was looking in all sorts of places for it. And that Goodfellow - 001 - was for sale..

I should have bought it but I was so obsessed with finding my Wal it didn't even cross my mind.. What a fool!! :)

[quote name='Mokl' post='179151' date='Apr 17 2008, 06:49 PM']... that may be true, assuming that they know the value of what they have. To be honest, I can't imagine them putting that much effort or thought into it given the masses of stuff that must pass through their hands. So long as they make a good mark up I would be surprised if they could care very much. One of my pals has had at least half a dozen very good deals out of CC, but then he does check it with alarming regularity. I guess that is the key, plus a little luck![/quote]

They check. Or they did when I was there. I had an old Teisco tulip g****r that they went to great lengths to value before offering me any money.

My local ones have "the guitar bloke" who comes around regularly to make sure they have realistic prices on the guitars and basses ..
I missed a gu1t@r bargain 'cos he turned up whilst I was off looking it up on tinterwebnet.. I went back and the price had gone up by £50 ...

[quote name='Mokl' post='178905' date='Apr 17 2008, 03:06 PM']I suppose the idea is that if I decide to sell it on then I don't have to feel like a complete bastard for trying to make some money on it - although why I should even care given the ridiculous amount of money I have lost on bass gear (mainly through this forum) over the years is beyond me. It's kind of disrespectful to any future purchaser, if I blab on and on about how I paid £1.50 for this bass, don't you think? That was never the point of this post! I'm not short-sighted enough to think that I won't ever sell it, because I know me too well, but I thought people might find my story interesting and perhaps inspire a few more bargain discoveries in Crack-Generators across the land.

As it is I will almost certainly keep this bass as it will make a great back up for my function band duties. Got some of the dings touched up today, and it's looking much better already. Will post some more pics when I've polished it and have it looking dandy, for those amongst you who may or may not care.[/quote]

Sorry mate, my post sounded a bit aggressive and wasn't meant to be. It just bugs me when people won't tell me what they paid for stuff (like a car), like it's some conspiracy or something. I appreciate the thoughts about selling it on, but TBH as long as you keep it a while first then you just sell at market value. It's not your fault Crack Converters didn't do their homework properly...

Edited by Jamesemt

[quote name='OldGit' post='178709' date='Apr 17 2008, 11:51 AM']It's a pawn shop and as such it works on the basis that you REALLY need the money and will accept whatever stupid price they offer you.
You agree the price with them ... you don't have to accept what they offer ... and ..Had you popped back a few days later with £300 you could have had the lot back

Mind you £1200 of 35 mm camera stuff is probably only worth £150 now ......

:)[/quote]

I was young and didn't understand the Pawn side of it back then - the gear was offered as a direct sale. Oh, and it never materialised in the shop. Got my revenge by selling them a highly faulty Olympus for top money :huh:

I am going back 15 years though...

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='179827' date='Apr 18 2008, 03:19 PM']Sorry mate, my post sounded a bit aggressive and wasn't meant to be. It just bugs me when people won't tell me what they paid for stuff (like a car), like it's some conspiracy or something. I appreciate the thoughts about selling it on, but TBH as long as you keep it a while first then you just sell at market value. It's not your fault Crack Converters didn't do their homework properly...[/quote]

Hey, no worries. I'm sure no offence was intended.

A little update: I spoke to Bernie Goodfellow today and he confirmed that it is a Lowden. Still a great quality bass though, from what I can tell. I'd never spoken with him before, but he seems like an incredibly nice bloke and didn't seem to mind me bothering him at all. All of this has gotten me thinking that I really would like one of those GB's now..... lol!!!

[quote name='Mokl' post='178294' date='Apr 16 2008, 08:44 PM']As for what I paid... it was in the region of second-hand Squier money (nothing wrong with those by the way!).[/quote]

I'll be very happy to exchange your G bass for a nice new Squier affinity Jazz if you like :)

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='3V17C' post='178330' date='Apr 16 2008, 09:13 PM']well its defo an early goodfellow and if you got it fdr the price of a used squire thats a bargain! the body shape is the same as my old 001 with the bump out of the bottom and two strap buttons. mine had the same 'G' logo but not the writing underneath. here she be...when last seen for sale in a shop somewhere! doh - big mistake getting rid of that!

[attachment=7800:Goodfellowbass.jpg]

peace

c[/quote]

Just spoke to Bernie and he confirmed that he built this in his shed in 83/84 or something like that. The Goodfellow bridge was added later. This was before he became a full time luthier and it was just a hobby. It was originally built for Mark Pinto. It should be passive and have Kent Armstrong pickups in it (assuming it hasn't been modified since being built).

Edited by EBS_freak