Why become a member? ×

Expliquez moi..................

Jazzneck

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1334918043' post='1623369']
Its up to you guys really although having already accepted i think you have to now honour the commitment. We always put it to the band vote - the answer usually depends on the cause and how nicely we have been asked.
[/quote]

Yes, we accepted immediately and we will honour the commitment.

We are a bunch of old Monarchists and we love the village we are fortunate enough to live in.

Just posing a question.................. :)

I've done several free gigs on this basis, because it's part of our village life ( all the band members live here). I get a buzz from being on stage while all my mates are down on the floor watching. They've also come to expect us to be part of such events.

I think we've got a few free beers afterwards, but that's it.

If it was a somebody else's village, then we might think differently.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1334917497' post='1623362']
The cateres don't get paid, they lose hundreds of pounds in stock; if the pub doesn't sell their stock, they lose hundreds of pounds. If the band don't get paid....?

Look, I agree that bands should never pay to play, or play for free. But this is different. This is a national event celebrating the life and reign of one of the worlds most recognisable people. In your local village! I don't think you're devaluing music or the live music scene by playing one gig out of many gigs for free.

I've paid for all my gear several times over by playing gigs. In all respects, I wouldn't stand to actually lose money by playing for free. If I was a professional musician, then fine, it's uneconomical for me to work for free. But I'm not. I may be alone here, but doing favours for people makes the world go around, balances the karma ad all that.

I totally appreciate where Nigel and BRX are coming from, but do you not believe in exceptions? Do you not believe in helping people out? By not paying the bands £600 to turn up, they could have freed money up to pay for a minibus of kids to come, or some elderly people who want to really celebrate the jubilee! It's just nice to be nice every now and then. And for one, I commend the OP for agreeing to play!

Yours royalistically,

Truckstop
[/quote]

A percussionist friend I occasionally play with was approached to play the opening ceremony of the Olympics. He agreed, but he's been told he won't be paid, not even expenses. The gig will cost him about £200 to do, they require 3 rehearsals - plus petrol, time, food and drink, etc. He's thinking of giving it a miss. But maybe you think he should celebrate this wonderful and remarkable event by spending £200 to play at it.

The problem with "one offs" is that they can be seen as custom and practice. Next time your village wants to celebrate something they will remember the two bands that will play for nothing. That's fine if you are prepared to continue playing for free, but if not you may suddenly appear greedy.

Have you asked the PA company if THEY would be prepared to forego their fee in the interests of helping the village? If they aren't, then there is a certain amount of unfairness going on.

Still, if your consciences are clear it's really nobody else's business.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1334918043' post='1623369']
Its up to you guys really although having already accepted i think you have to now honour the commitment. We always put it to the band vote - the answer usually depends on the cause and how nicely we have been asked.
[/quote]
... and how much free beer you're offered

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1334922520' post='1623478']
... and how much free beer you're offered
[/quote]
Ok, that does factor into the equation too :lol:

Actually, we all usually drive so most offers of free beer go untaken! And i am mainly a non booze person so it wouldn't tempt me. Food, refreshments and goodwill are always appreciated though.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1334921843' post='1623461']
A percussionist friend I occasionally play with was approached to play the opening ceremony of the Olympics. He agreed, but he's been told he won't be paid, not even expenses. The gig will cost him about £200 to do, they require 3 rehearsals - plus petrol, time, food and drink, etc. He's thinking of giving it a miss. But maybe you think he should celebrate this wonderful and remarkable event by spending £200 to play at it.
[/quote]

you would think that macdonalds would be able to sponsor him (and others like him) given the obscene profits they will be making from the entire proceedings? <_<

[quote name='DaveFry' timestamp='1334912824' post='1623272']
The organisers of the Olympics in London this year are trying the same trick ;
[url="http://www.corporatewatch.org/?lid=4290&fwcc=1&fwcl=1&fwl"]http://www.corporate...cc=1&fwcl=1[/url]

[/quote]

This is not quite true, I do know someone who was asked to do the opening ceremon for no money at all and so I assume others are in the same boat. But other musicians I play with who are performing the big Olympic events, or have composed music for the Olympics, have been paid. Just thought I should clear that up a bit.

Apart from the issues others have raised about everyone other than the bands being paid, I think that you also have to consider that people do not value what they do not pay for. My personal experience is that unless the event is organised by someone who is a musician or who understands the work/time/effort that goes into a band then you will inevitably be messed around to the point where it may well spoil the event for you (and potentially mar it for the audience).

I would ask for expenses or a token fee and then refuse it after the event, or donate it to a suitable charity. That way you have much more chance of a hassle free day, and in my experience people appreciate your efforts far more.

I'm with BRX and silddx on this. The bands are adding to the event, like the catering and bar, and as such should be recognised accordingly when it comes to being paid.

Personally I wouldn't do it because I'm a Republican. I'd gain no joy from working for free to 'celebrate' the day her Maj got to put a gold hat on :P

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1334907457' post='1623161']
Your band like all the other suppliers (PA, catering, bar etc.) are adding value to the event. Therefore you should get paid. If the others have reduced their fees to reflect the nature of the event then you should too, but none of them are going to be out of pocket at the end so why should you?
[/quote]
[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1334915872' post='1623331']
I don't think you have grasped the situation here. There seems to be a prevailing attitude that musicians will/should perform for free 'for the exposure', or because musicians would do it anyway because it's a vocation. The musicians are part of the 'service' providing the audience at the event with entertainment to go with their food and chit chat. The other service providers are getting paid. So should the musicians be. If it's a charity event, then why are the other service providers getting paid?

It's unfair and unequitable.
[/quote]

My previous band were constantly asked to do charity events for no fee and we would go through a check list of questions before agreeing to do them:

Will all bar and catering staff at the event be giving their services FOC?
Are all profits from the bar and kitchens being given to charity?
Are any of the other service providers being paid?
Are our travelling and subsistence expenses paid?

The usual reaction was disbelief that we were being so cheeky and unreasonable. The best charity events we played were ones where we were paid a substantial function band fee for being part of a well organised event that raised a lot of cash. Better entertainment = more money raised.

One time there was a magician on the same bill who was getting a fee but we were being expected to a freebie. No chance.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1334922515' post='1623477']
The problem with "one offs" is that they can be seen as custom and practice.
[/quote]

I totally agree, it sets a precedent.

[quote name='MetricMike' timestamp='1334933616' post='1623729']
I think that you also have to consider that people do not value what they do not pay for. My personal experience is that unless the event is organised by someone who is a musician or who understands the work/time/effort that goes into a band then you will inevitably be messed around to the point where it may well spoil the event for you (and potentially mar it for the audience).
[/quote]

I concur absolutely. You have to put a value on yourself and you get taken more seriously and command more respect otherwise you end up being treated like an overgrown child that is being humoured by being let to play with his favourite toys.

On principle given the fact that everyone else involved is cashing in on the event (and good luck to them) I would have politely refused but only after employing charm and salesmanship to try to get a decent fee.