Why become a member? ×

Two heads sharing one cab, possible?

Bigjas

Hi there

I currently have a Marshall MB4410 combo and a Hiwatt 100 valve head. I woould like to be able to switch between the 2 amps during a set, but only use one cab (the Marshall cab). Would it hurt either of the 2 amps if i used a splitter box so that both both amps are connected to the one amp at the same time? I would only use one amp at a time using an A/B footswitch so i could switch between heads without turning amps on/off or pulling leads. It just saves having to lug around two cabs but I am worried it could harm either of the amps if they are both switched on and connected to the same cab. Both amps are 4ohms and so is the cab.

Thanks

Jas

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1334843113' post='1622219']
Pretty bad plan all round. Valve amp needs a load, so especially bad involving one.Not really sure why you' want to use stuff other than a Hiwatt if you have one anyway.
[/quote]
+1

You can share a cab but you can't share the speakers in a cab.

I played with a guitarist who had a 410 rewired so that the left pair of speakers were powered by 1 amp and the right pair powered by a different amp.

2 separate cabs would be a better idea for you.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1334847836' post='1622303']
You can share a cab but you can't share the speakers in a cab.

I played with a guitarist who had a 410 rewired so that the left pair of speakers were powered by 1 amp and the right pair powered by a different amp.
[/quote]

Speakers sharing airspace with different signals is pretty bad news for bass, the air in the box is pretty important for the purpose.

Thanks for your replies

I love the Hiwatt head, really nice tone, just not loud enough for some of the songs we play (we have a very loud drummer that tells me to f off when I say he is too loud) its 100w and just gets swallowed up on some songs where the drummer gets carried away.

My idea was to have the Hiwatt for most of the set and just switch to the Marshall on some songs. I'll just have take 2 rigs with me cos I don't want to stop using the hiwatt.

Jas

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1334848046' post='1622307']
....Speakers sharing airspace with different signals is pretty bad news for bass, the air in the box is pretty important for the purpose.....
[/quote]

Of course, but the OP said he would be switching between amps, not using them concurrently.

The OP really does need 2 separate cabs.

On the other hand I would probably go right off topic and just run the Hiwatt through a Barefaced Super12T.

It's a very loud drummer who can drown out a DR103 with the right cab. I would suggest trying out a few efficient cabs, and leaving the combo at home once you've found the right one. Once you're sorted, you won't be able to hear the drummer, whatever he's mouthing. He'll be begging you to turn down; just ignore him. Play on.
To answer the question directly: no, you can't share the cab between the amps. Magic smoke will ensue.

There are cab switchers about, but they're not cheap. As has been said, the need to keep a load on valve amps' output means this is never going to be a cheap option.

http://www.customaudioelectronics.com/products?view=product&prod_id=prod7

Thanks for the advice guys, you have just prevented a 1974 Hiwatt going up in smoke............

Looks like a decent cab is required, any ideas on which configuration? 4 x 10 or 2 x 10 or 1 x 15 ?

Is anyone using a similar amp, if so what cabs are you using?

Once again, thanks, this forum is great for idiots like me...............

Jas

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1334848349' post='1622320']
What cab are you suing? Right cab will sort the volume issue.
[/quote]

Well, you are right, the cab makes a big difference. Last night I had band practice, so I took the Hiwatt head and the 2 cabs that came with it. They are old PA cabs, each of them has a Goodmans Audiom 12-P 50 watt speaker. I didn't think they would be all that good as they are dated 1976 and only 50 watts each (the Marshall 4x10 is rated at 450w), how wrong was I!!!!

When i ran this head through the Marshall 4x10 the volume was just over three quarters and it was struggling. Through the goodmans speakers, the volume is on less than half, and the sound is unbelievable. So much tone and clarity. What a rig I now have. I am considering making a new cabinet to house the 2 speakers.

Thanks for all your advice, I am so chuffed, can't wait to gig my new rig on Saturday.

Jas

[quote name='Bigjas' timestamp='1335448309' post='1631346']
When i ran this head through the Marshall 4x10 the volume was just over three quarters and it was struggling. Through the goodmans speakers, the volume is on less than half, and the sound is unbelievable. So much tone and clarity. What a rig I now have. I am considering making a new cabinet to house the 2 speakers.
[/quote]

The box is a big part of it, new box and you might lose what you want from them. They are probably really middly like a guitar speaker which gives you the volume and clarity. Seeing if the cabs you have are stuff if sealed and line if ported might squeeze even more from them, but making a new box that sounds the same might require some analysis of what makes the boxes you have good.