Why become a member? ×

Transitional Stingray fretless signed by jeff berlin .2000 pounds.

Lewk

Heya, im selling this to help funding for the album the band are recording.. shes absolutley stunning.. plays even better than she looks. message me for more pics or if you want to offer me 2000 pounds!

Edited by Johngh

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1334595800' post='1618267']
whats the year - from the string-tee position, looks like early-mid 80's

is the jeff berlin signature removeable?
[/quote]

Are you suggesting the instrument would be more desirable without the sig Gareth :D

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1334603424' post='1618434']
Are you suggesting the instrument would be more desirable without the sig Gareth :D
[/quote]

i am undecided but it may be to the advantage of the ultimate purchaser that thius be the case?

It reminds one of the old "First prize, one bass guitar signed by Jeff Berlin; second prize, two bass guitars signed by Jeff Berlin" thing :rolleyes:

Bloody nice bass, seller might need to provide more info to get the asking price though?

C

[quote name='Lewk' timestamp='1334658530' post='1619154']
if you want more details send me a message and ill send more pics and serials etc
[/quote]

Seriously mate, if you're reluctant to post details in public the chances are that you're not going to shift it easily. Sort of info needed is originality/mods (especially circuit, board, finish etc), cosmetic & functional condition (especially board). It just inspires more confidence among the buying public and confidence tends to bring up the price. Your shout of course, but whenever I see "PM for details" I tend to think "mmm, what's he hiding that he doesn't want the 'Ray experts on here to interrogate in public....?". I might be wrong of course...... :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1334687498' post='1619844']
String tree is in the wrong place (should be G&D not A&D) logo I'm not sure about and if that's a chamfered body it's not a pre body either , colour is also not a pre EB colour.
[/quote]

Which is kinda why I suggested more info was required from the seller.....

String tree is in the wrong place (should be G&D not A&D) logo I'm not sure about and if that's a chamfered body it's not a pre body either , colour is also not a pre EB colour.

Needs more info explaining all the above before anyone gets involved in my opinion :)
[/quote]

The issue of the string tree position, logo, chamfering, etc. is not that black and white. These features were changed before the takeover by EB (around '83), although the EB logos were not implemented until some time after the takeover (examples without the Ernie Ball name on the headstock exist up to '85). Also, MM/EB tended to simply use what they had lying around, so this bass may simply have been assembled from a comination of new and older parts. The neck stamps (if present) should shed some more light on this, but there are many more possible explanations. The info on musicmanbass.org covers this in a lot more detail.

Cheers,

Kees

No factory contoured pre EB basses were made, so either way at best it's an transition era not a pre EB as the listing states. Take out the wrong body, EQ and scratch plate and at best it's a pre EB neck. Even as someone often accused of bigging pre EB prices up I'd be reluctant to pay £2k for a neck ;)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1334687079' post='1619835']
The pre amp has been changed, non original knobs, drilled body for jack socket.
[/quote]

Needs more info explaining all the above before anyone gets involved in my opinion :)
[/quote]
[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1334762301' post='1620829']
No factory contoured pre EB basses were made, so either way at best it's an transition era not a pre EB as the listing states. Take out the wrong body, EQ and scratch plate and at best it's a pre EB neck. Even as someone often accused of bigging pre EB prices up I'd be reluctant to pay £2k for a neck ;)
[/quote]

pete

great to see you posting again

but you naughty boy, you must not comment on prices

from your comments it is now clear to me that the value in this bass is all to do with jeff berlin's signature <_<

I so enjoy the forum, it keeps everybody honest.

Dude, just provide all the details you can and the MM connaisseurs will give you all sorts of good info. Best case it will help validat asking price, worst case you will at least know what your bass is "really". As a newcomer on the forum it will certainly make you more "appealing" to deal with.

Pre, transitional or EB, still a nice bass buddy. Used Stingrays for almost 20 years and even though I no longer own one, still think they're mighty sexy.

Just had my first chance to view this on a full size screen rather than my Ipod, Its a transitional era bass not a pre EB no doubt about it. I'd wager it has no "Made in USA" on the neck plate and a date stamp somewhere in 1985. I know what Kees SoS is saying but none of the features were pre EB features and even though some variations exist including wrong string tree positions MM cant of used parts from the future ;) ,the logo is just where EB moved them back up to like the 70's ones until the early EB logo appeared along with the string tree position which would confirm the neck was finished after the takeover too, the date stamp could still be earlier I guess as we dont know when the neck was made even though we know it was finished and fitted with hardware/decal after the takeover. Everything else falls perfectly into place for 85 inc the body which again confirms it to not be pre EB and I presume the 2 band EQ has gone?

No update from the seller either? I know people see this as derailing but its not its just a clarification. If the appraisal was done in person they dont know Rays very well Im affraid, if it was done over the phone I can see room for confusion but even from some poor quality pics an expert would still of spotted everything I did and we have not even seen the back!

All in all its still a nice looking and rare (ish) trans era bass, just not a pre ernie as listed :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1334851363' post='1622385']
I know people see this as derailing ...
[/quote]

Yes they do, but they're missing the point. If this bass was on eBay listed as it is we'd be all over it without complaint. However, the seller spends 60 seconds or so registering here and all of a sudden, despite obvious deviations from the stated description, in many peoples' eyes we can no longer comment. One of the more useful aspects of this forum when I first joined (and one of the reasons I stayed), were the comments on basses for sale, positive and negative.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1334862617' post='1622650']
Yes they do, but they're missing the point. If this bass was on eBay listed as it is we'd be all over it without complaint. However, the seller spends 60 seconds or so registering here and all of a sudden, despite obvious deviations from the stated description, in many peoples' eyes we can no longer comment. One of the more useful aspects of this forum when I first joined (and one of the reasons I stayed), were the comments on basses for sale, positive and negative.
[/quote]
+1

I have to agree too. I'm all for capitalism and maximising your return on an investment but not if it's through mis-representation or a lack of information.

I'd say that this forum works well both ways: in routing out the dubious cases or, more positevly, when you have the genuine article for sale, people raving about it.

I always try and keep to the facts (which they are) about the item and refrain from any personal attacks, there is a good chance the seller thought it was a pre EB from the logo alone. Unfortunately identifying it as something less desirable inadvertently puts me in a situation where commenting on the price is unavoidable/inevitable. :)