Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingray

The Walloper

[quote name='mistermark' timestamp='1334816226' post='1621613']
Have had my Stingray since the early 90's and although I loved the feel, playability and over all construction of the bass I always found myself disliking the metallic high end rattle this bass seemed to inherently have. I always like the sound of a Fender Precision bass so I took out the active electronics and had the body and a custom pick guard routed for P-bass pickups (quarter pounders).

I call it the P-Ray and it gives me the best of both worlds... I still get the amazing playability of the Stingray while having a warmer woodier tone from the passive P-bass pickups (which are moved forward a bit from the orignal block pickup).

-Mark
[/quote]
Woh! I've never seen anything like it. Please put some sound clips of it up.

Dan

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1334785557' post='1621404']However once I pushed the pole pieces for the A and D strings down to the same level as the E and G strings I got great string to string response and the Ray now works well through every amp I try. I've noticed a similar problem on a few other Rays I've used but mine was the worst... but now it's the best!
[/quote]

Interesting - glad you fixed it.

Strangely the two pick up Rays don't have the raised pole pieces for A and D (I've read somewhere the Ray was originally designed with the raised A and D pole pieces in one pick up form to follow the curvature of the fretboard). I will check the comparative outputs sometime. I just haven't picked the problem up.

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1334825293' post='1621757']
Woh! I've never seen anything like it. Please put some sound clips of it up.

Dan
[/quote]

+ 1

Edited by drTStingray

Have had my Stingray since the early 90's and although I loved the feel, playability and over all construction of the bass I always found myself disliking the metallic high end rattle this bass seemed to inherently have. I always like the sound of a Fender Precision bass so I took out the active electronics and had the body and a custom pick guard routed for P-bass pickups (quarter pounders).

I call it the P-Ray and it gives me the best of both worlds... I still get the amazing playability of the Stingray while having a warmer woodier tone from the passive P-bass pickups (which are moved forward a bit from the orignal block pickup).

-Mark
[/quote]

The word 'emasculation' comes to mind.

IME they're the most consistent and one of the best mass-produced basses on the market.

Aside- That 'weak g' problem definitely exists. I thought it was a myth until I started looking for a 4 not so long ago and played maybe 20-30 in a short time. Just raise the G side of the pickup and push the pole pieces down and it's gone though.

-Mark
[/quote]

Nah. This is the best of both worlds... and no Stingrays had to die. :D

[quote name='mistermark' timestamp='1334880702' post='1623059']
Ou7shined, wow what is that? Looks like a Jazz body. How do the controls work? Active or passive? Do you have sound clips?

-Mark
[/quote]

It's a Ou7shined Ping-ray.... MM in the correct place and just moved the D-G side of the P pup forward of the other side to fit them in. (does that put that side of the pup in jazz bridge territory? )

So are you saying it was a total custom build from the body up? What does the head stock look like? Yeah noticed the reversed split p pickup. I had an Aria Pro that was like that. Always thought that was a good idea.

Also, still curious about those electronics. Active or passive and how do the controls work?

Not wishing to derail but... :D

[quote name='mistermark' timestamp='1334880702' post='1623059']
Ou7shined, wow what is that? Looks like a Jazz body. How do the controls work? Active or passive? Do you have sound clips?

-Mark
[/quote]

Cheers Mark. Yep I'm afraid a Fender J had to die to make it... but hey. I like to think of as me bringing it more to life. :D
It's fully active with a Seymour Duncan STC-2P 2-band (18v) which is fairly sympathetic with the 'ray 2 band - without the hump obviously. The controls are vol, blend and concentric bass and treble. And I wired a series/parallel switch to the unused "slap" push/pull option - so I can make it sound like a Stingray or a Sub.
No sound clips I'm afraid - I keep meaning to get some done... too many basses not enough time.

[quote name='mistermark' timestamp='1334884283' post='1623072']
So are you saying it was a total custom build from the body up? What does the head stock look like? Yeah noticed the reversed split p pickup. I had an Aria Pro that was like that. Always thought that was a good idea.
[/quote]

I think of this one is more of a bitsa than a total custom build... although my bitsas tend to be a bit more in-depth than just bolting on a new neck and adding a bridge. :)
I'm not going to claim any drastic changes in tone from reversing the P like that but it seems to make better sense and I for one sure as hell like how it sounds.

Headstock looks like [url="http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d67/ou7shined/Pingray%20Jazz/pingray060.jpg"]this[/url] (pre-Osprey days)... and the whole sh'bang looks a little like ...

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1334881738' post='1623066']
It's a Ou7shined Ping-ray.... MM in the correct place and just moved the D-G side of the P pup forward of the other side to fit them in. (does that put that side of the pup in jazz bridge territory? )
[/quote]

I just tried a side by side comparison (just eyeballing) and the J neck pup seems to lie almost down the middle of the E/A pup.

I got my first ever Stingray the other month. Brilliant bass. My only surprise is that I didn't get one sooner.

I went for a 3 EQ model, so the "high metallic rattle" is simply an option - that said, for a lot of the rockier stuff we do, it's a good tone to cut through the fuzz some.

I only ever had a MIM P. Nice bass, though am sure it could have been nicer. The suspicion I had was that the pick-ups were in the wrong place; probably why I like my Jazzes and P/Js... something a little closer to the bridge. Hey, a bit like where the pick-up is on the Stringray, eh? :lol:

This kills it. Kills a lot of the Precisions I've heard, out of the box and without any magic in the EQ or pedals. I play rock and I think it's brilliant for it; but I wouldn't sell everything just to have it. Where would be the fun in that? :)

Edited by Gust0o

Quick question, whilst we're on the subject - how do the other models compare? I hear of Sterlings, Sabres, Stingrays, Subs... if I were looking for another, do I just aim for another of the one I already have?

I quite liked the painted neck and stock on the Subs, but no idea if they're a totally different experience or not.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1334932462' post='1623698']
Quick question, whilst we're on the subject - how do the other models compare? I hear of Sterlings, Sabres, Stingrays, Subs... if I were looking for another, do I just aim for another of the one I already have?

I quite liked the painted neck and stock on the Subs, but no idea if they're a totally different experience or not.
[/quote]

You already have a 3-band Stingray... go for a SUB.
Despite the much lower price, they are very comparable in terms of quality, in my opinion.

The active ones are 2EQ, and the thing that makes it be a bit different soundwise is that the alnico pickup is wired in series, not parallel (at least in 4-string versions, as my SUB5 is wired in parallel). This gives it a bit of a punchier sound and I personally love it. I have a Stingray and a SUB, and I love both, but I'm using the SUB in teh end, mostly.

The neck is identical, I'd say (not sure it it varies much with the year, but my Stingray is a 2002 and my SUB a 2003) except for teh black paint. It feels marginally different: I mean it's noticeable, but you soon forget it. It's not a bad feel, although some disagree and strip it bare.

For the Walloper, have a listen to this Ed Friedland demo of the Classic Stingray currently available from EBMM. A regular 2 band Ray will sound very similar, though IMO has slightly less sustain (which the strings through body bridge on the Classic give). It gives a good idea what can be done with the bass and a little skill.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlMStrT5A6M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlMStrT5A6M[/url]

On this, I can hear no apparent imbalance of the G to other strings, no metallic noises, and there are vast variations in sound etc etc - it has a lacquered neck for those who don't like the standard oil and wax finish - three of mine have the oli and wax finish and I don't have a problem switching between these and the lacquered ones - I haven't needed to adjust the truss rod on any except my fretless (which I keep with a very low action. For anyone who wants to compare the differences, Ed does reviews of the Sterling, Big Al, 25th Anniversary (now updated to the Reflex) and the Bongo - these give a far better idea of what these basses (and loads of other makes for that matter) really sound like.

A few other points on Stingrays - as with other basses, the body wood affects the sound and there are variations:- the Sub has a poplar body which gives a little mellower sound than an ash bodied Ray (all recent production of Rays is ash) - it's also either 2 band or passive; poplar is also used on some solid colour Rays and SR5s from the early to late 90s; alder is used on most trans red from introduction in the early 80s right through, plus some other colours from the early 80s - these are said to give an even mellower sound. The 2006, 30th Anni Ray has a mahogony body (said by many to be the best of all). This is just intended to give a pointer for those interested.

Then you get the rosewood board v maple board debate etc etc etc! Maple and ash gives, IMO, the classic Stingray signature sound.

I've really enjoyed playing the ones I have - indeed my G&L L-2500T has a Stingray HH feel about it, but at the end of the day it's my Jazz I go for when I want to have a play around. I could have bought a Stingray at the time when I got it but I preferred the feel and sound of the Jazz. The Stingray is a lovely bass and I will probably end up buying one at some point. If they're unpopular though, they may just go for a little less on the second hand market, despite being in good condition - that's definitely a double edged sword, but great if you're looking to the used market for one!

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1334937159' post='1623789']
A few other points on Stingrays - as with other basses, the body wood affects the sound and there are variations:- the Sub has a poplar body which gives a little mellower sound than an ash bodied Ray (all recent production of Rays is ash)
[/quote]

Perhaps (not going to enter a wood matters/doesn't debate :)), but let's not forget a difference between the Stingray and the SUB that has a larger impact in the sound:

parallel wired humbucker - Stingray
series wired humbucker - SUB (4 string versions)

[quote name='EskimoBassist' timestamp='1334937173' post='1623790']
I've really enjoyed playing the ones I have - indeed my G&L L-2500T has a Stingray HH feel about it,
[...]
If they're unpopular though, they may just go for a little less on the second hand market, despite being in good condition - that's definitely a double edged sword, but great if you're looking to the used market for one!
[/quote]

I used to have an L2500T as well. The neck was considerably chunkier than SR5/SUB5s, 'though.
People seem to think of Stingrays (4-string) and P basses as having a chunky neck, and Jazz basses having a slim one. But on 5 string, I find the Stingray one of the slimmer ones, oddly.

As for popularity... I hope they become truly unpopular, and cheap, then I would probably buy another two :P

I've never played a musicman that hasn't had a dead spot on the neck somewhere - I've owned a sterling and a stingray and they were OK but nothing to shout about, I don't like the playability, the two screws in the pickup don't allow you to anchor your thumb!! I prefer the musicman tone to a jazz, even when fretless but I love a p bass with a 60's style neck HOWEVER although aesthetically unpleasing it does need a j pickup if you can't afford two basses for versatility. G&L's are great but the neck is too chunky for me, both wide and deep and I can never decide on the tone - a P or J pickup just nails what you want.

...sack all 3 off and get a Marleaux, flawless basses