Why become a member? ×

MiBass combo - comedy presentation

stevie

The new MiBass combos look really nice. Why does the company have to ruin it by letting Mr Edsel Ashdown go on camera? Try counting the number of times he says 'versatile' - and look out for the highlight of the interview where he tries to remember what year it is - and fails!

It starts off with a great bass solo. Not. Why do British companies still think that it's all about being a keen amateur?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iDVXwwyjUU

Yup, it's a bit sloppy, but at the end of the day, like Mr Phook says, he's probably had to puke the same stuff out over and over again to journos of all nationalities too.
The Guy Pratt demos on the Ashdown Youtube Channel are pretty good though, fingers crossed they can get him on the case soon :)

Eude

Or maybe not. If the 550 is the same as the 220 then it'll deliver it's full power into the internal speaker. I wonder how a single 15 will cope with 550w.

OTOH the MiBass is switchable between 4 and 8 ohms so if Ashdown are really on the ball they'll have a speaker out that will enable another 4 ohm cab to be in series with the internal speaker.

Edit: Doh!! What am I talking about. If the head delivers it's full power into 4 or 8 ohms then the internal speaker load is probably 8 ohms so it can drive an 8 ohm extension cab in parallel.

Edited by DirkThrust

[quote name='DirkThrust' timestamp='1334263183' post='1613590']
Those Mibass combos look very interesting. The 550 with a 15" extension cab would make a cracking portable rig.
[/quote]
Agreed. I think they have a really good product there. The styling is well done and I love the stripy vinyl, although I can't find a lot on the specs yet. And they are considering building them in the UK (hooray!).
I'm generally very positive about these. I actually bought a MiBass head despite the crappy marketing, and I don't regret it.

I actually find the comedy presentation rather endearing, but as you say, it isn't really good enough in the cutthroat world of international business. I wish they'd get someone like Ed Freidland, but Guy Pratt doesn't do a bad job.

Having worked in manufacturing for over 30 years, I've often felt like tearing my hair out in frustration at seeing the British characteristic of bumbling amateurishness and muddling through problems after they've occurred so I get your point.

[quote name='BluRay' timestamp='1334303924' post='1613971']
Yes it helps to be better prepared for these things. But someone shows up to the booth with a camera and tells you to talk for 5 minutes off the cuff - chances are its not going to be perfect.
[/quote]

Why not? That's his job...

[quote name='BluRay' timestamp='1334304126' post='1613976']
...fair point. I guess I mean it wont be as good as a "proper" product film that is scripted and edited, and they can take their time over.
[/quote]

To be fair, he's been doing this a while now and he never seems to get better at it.

Compare this to the like of Genz etc's. efforts at trade shows.They make Ashdown look a bit silly.

Yeah, I'm unlucky enough to do lots of presentations at work. Usually I'm pretty good and well rehearsed (accepting the lame jokes and unfortunate appearance) but just occasionally it goes less well and doesn't flow like it should. I'd be gutted if I got slated for it on a forum. :lol:

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1334315717' post='1614310']
But if you were head of Marketing, and you were consistently hopeless at it, it would be justified :-)
[/quote]
For this kind of semi-impromptu sales pitch, a good salesman would normally do fine. You don't have to be a BBC presenter. These interviews have become de rigeur at trade shows and there's no excuse for not rehearsing your pitch. Nobody can be good at everything and sometimes it makes sense to get a professional in. Otherwise you risk looking like a tit.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1334304230' post='1613977']
To be fair, he's been doing this a while now and he never seems to get better at it.

Compare this to the like of Genz etc's. efforts at trade shows.They make Ashdown look a bit silly.
[/quote]

Pretty much my view. I've seen that guy do a bunch of presentations, none of them very helpful or frankly any good. I'm sure he is a lovely fellow but surely Ashdown could find another role for him.