Why become a member? ×

Fake basses?

TDM

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1334167184' post='1611969']
Am i missing something? The seller does not actually claim it is an original Fender??
[/quote]

The person who buys it and then sells it on to you, or someone you know, in a year or two might well do.

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1334169901' post='1612035']
Tell the world you intend to commit fraud.[/quote]

Part of what I reported. <_<

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1334169911' post='1612037']
The person who buys it and then sells it on to you, or someone you know, in a year or two might well do.

[/quote]

This is true, but the seller here, whilst certainly making it clear what the bass is trying to be, does state it is a copy based upon a Geddy Lee at a fraction of the price.

Customs things is naughty, il admit...

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1334170625' post='1612058']
This is true, but the seller here, whilst certainly making it clear what the bass is trying to be, does state it is a copy based upon a Geddy Lee at a fraction of the price.

Customs things is naughty, il admit...
[/quote]

Yeah, but this "copy" as the seller points out, has "Fender Jazz Bass" on the headstock......... it's done for the same reason they sell Fender repro decals.

The dodge bit is claiming the item is in the UK, and it isn't. The Chinese exporters do tend make sincere an genuine effort to defraud the HMRC though, so there is a certain sort of honesty there. I think its the Hong Kong lot that are particularly adept, because they are a international trade hub so they know how it all works, and the colonial thing tends to go with a certain degree of sneakiness.

Easy to get screwed by customs. My mum has a friend in the States that sent over some Christmas presents for her and my kids (nothing fancy, couple of handmade dolls, bassball cap, and a couple of other small items), and she still got screwed over for cash this end. I know this because I was enquiring as to the posibility of having a MightyMite body sent across by her as a "gift".

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1334231572' post='1612883']
Some companies are aware the US law doesn't apply to the whole world.
[/quote]

It would have helped is someone had mentioned that to Tony Blair.

Or even David Cameron ...

These look decent copies but that is all they are. The headstocks say one thing but they are neither Fenders nor Nordstrands and thus should not bear any of their logos on any part of the items.

If Ebay decide not to take them down, Fender and Nordstrand might well be interested in pursuing this further....or HMRC for potential import duty/tax fraud.

The way this is arranged, any potential import issues are between the sender, who doesn't care, as Her Majesty isn't to do with them, and the receiver, who is a theoretical person at this point. Where the instruments currently reside, the symbol on the headstock is just a shape, as meaningless as hanzi character are to most people here. Hence the significance of the misrepresentation of item location.