Why become a member? ×

Rio Bass Line

Bidd

Probably been mentioned before, but I've noticed that for months I've been playing the chorus for Duran Duran - Rio slightly wrong for months now, and I can't figure out what I should be playing. Its the bit in the chorus were it sings "dances on the sand" first time round. Its basically the part after the D halfway through the riff and before the E F# F# G G at the end that I can't figure out exactly

All the tabs I've seen are no good. I figured the rest of the chorus out but just cannot figure this part out out, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Just a list of all the notes played that any of you play Rio would be brilliant. Cheers

I believe it's -
[font="Courier New"]

G:------------------------------
D:-----------------------4--5---
A:5--x5-2-x3-x2-0---------------
E:------------------0--2--3-----

[/font]

The x's standing for muted notes which just come right before the actual note (ghost notes almost?)

So that'd be

D B C B A

....from the D you talk about.

Hope this helps!

Danny

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='177157' date='Apr 15 2008, 04:38 PM']There was a comedian I heard once who was taking the piss out of duran duran because their basslines were all the same. Was it Richard Vranch? He was funnier than Guy Pratt anyway.[/quote]
I'm pretty sure it was Guy, he did that when I saw him live. It was a bit harsh, I thought - it could be classified as part of JT's style, and I easily point to songs like [i]New Religion[/i] or [i]Ordinary World[/i] as counter-examples.

[quote name='bnt' post='177168' date='Apr 15 2008, 04:54 PM']I'm pretty sure it was Guy, he did that when I saw him live. It was a bit harsh, I thought - it could be classified as part of JT's style, and I easily point to songs like [i]New Religion[/i] or [i]Ordinary World[/i] as counter-examples.[/quote]

hmmm. Guy Pratt played a very dull bassline on Tears for fears' "break it down again" (great song, spoiled by unimaginative sessioner on bass).
thankfully Curt Smith's back to put some character and quirk into the basslines.

also, in agreement with what CK's said, Pratt sounds too desperate to be zany "i'm mad, me!" on his Planet Rock show.