Why become a member? ×

Hello, can anybody offer a little Advice?

rockafellar

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1333719269' post='1605698']
The weight lifter and the gymnast come to mind here. Each need a different training approach in order to achieve their different goals.
[/quote]

Yep.
I'm a climber as well as a bassist.
When I climb I hang on for dear life but when I play bass I ...erm... hang on for dear life... :unsure:
They are totally different though... :rolleyes:

some good advice here guys, firstly , i am a self tought player , ive never had one lesson in my life , so my left hand does leave a little to be desired at times , but thats mainly because ive got a 3rd finger that i cant really control to well, so ive had to adapt , but hey, i can play a little :D its been like this with anything i do, and isnt down to a bad technique, it kinda moves when i move my index finger, but as i go higher up the neck , i can use it depending , neither have i used strengthening aids , your strength will come from practice alone, and theres no point making your fingers stronger if you dont know what to do with them on the fretboard :P . so the point i'm making is, just practice and go with the flow, everyone is built slightly different , so go for what feels comfortable with you , but apply the wrist rule , and whats been said before , play slowly with a light touch , you'll become a faster player in the long run by sticking with that, to many people try to get to quick to fast , your accuracy will be better later on from doing this and everything else will fall into place , jeeeze , i need a balti after that , nom nom nom

your going to get a ton of advice on this, much of it diametrically opposed from each other. All you can do is take what works for you best and use your common sense. Otherwise you will get so frustrated with the conflicting advice, that you might be tempted to give up.

hang in there dude.

(NB. my younger brother used to call people 'dude' 40 years ago, long before Bill & Ted made it famous. So I claim the right to use it by dint of fraternal succession)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1333759727' post='1606263']
That's where I bought mine too. Mine had a revs counter and memory..... but it came with an old battery and never bothered to replace it. The motion powered up some leds, though... quite fascinating to watch in the dark :)
[/quote]

Mine is an early one by the sound of it, no electronics involved. :)
The thing I find so fascinating about it is the way the weight 'increases' as you use it... I can't decide whether it's physics or witchcraft... :)

[quote name='Dave Tipping' timestamp='1333748382' post='1606165']
... Minimal strength is required for fretting a string but holding your arm up and playing for 3hours plus 3 nights a weekend after sitting at a desk most weekdays takes finger and forearm stamina ... Something I've found my grip gadget perfect for.
[/quote]

Sorry, but I have to disagree here. You seem to be confusing strength and stamina IMO. Holding your arm up for long periods requires the use of the shoulder muscle. I fail to see how developing your grip can be beneficial in this. The only strength required in bass playing is to fret the string (minimal as we said). The rest is down to stamina and dexterity, in which the grip device plays no part, as far as bass playing is concerned.

[quote name='i play in N #' timestamp='1333766413' post='1606287']
...i need a balti after that, nom nom nom...
[/quote]

That's done it. Now I'll have to go for a Vindaloo. May as well have a beer or two on the way.
See what you've done? Now I'll weigh at least seven pounds extra tomorrow... ;)

Edit: And my arse will hurt.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1333703019' post='1605388']
Not good advice IMO. A minimal amount of strength is required to fret a string. These devices develop grip, where the main idea with good technique is to have the hands relaxed. Grip has no part in bass playing.
[/quote]

in the words of harry enfield .....

OOOII !!!

GRIPMASTER

NOOOOOOOO !!!

:gas:

try this..............

rest a fingertip gently to start on a string as if youre about to fret a note

start plucking the string with a pick or fingers - you will get a dampened sound to start with but keep plucking away

as you pluck with your plucking hand, very slowly start to increase the pressure with the fretting finger

intially you should have a dampened note sound - as you slowly press the string towards the fretboard it will eventually make contact with one or more frets and will start to buzz and rattle

keep very slowly increasing the pressure with the fretting finger and listen to the buzzing and rattling slowly change as you increase the pressure

eventually as you increase the pressure you will reach a point where the string is fretted and is giving a clean sounding note with no buzz or rattle

keep trying this and get your brain hand coordination used to the idea of just how little effort you actually need to apply with your fretting fingertips

once you got the hang of it then consider how that force compares with what you might have originally thought was needed

i know it flies in the opinion of a lot of other basschatters but i am very strongly opposed to gripmasters for guitar playing and i know the topic comes up very frequently on here and draws quite a bit of 'heated discussion'

imho if you are able to go about all your normal daily functions doing all the sorts of regular things that four fingers and an opposable thumb grip are routinely expected to do, and you can accomplish these things in your stride and dont have any physical disability or impediment, then you will have ample strength in your fretting hand and do not need to exercise it with the gripmaster to inflict some sort of vice like death grip on your bass neck and strings

its more to do with agility dexterity and coordination than brute force :rolleyes:

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1333821607' post='1607055']
in the words of harry enfield .....

OOOII !!!

GRIPMASTER

NOOOOOOOO !!!

:gas:

try this..............

rest a fingertip gently to start on a string as if youre about to fret a note

start plucking the string with a pick or fingers - you will get a dampened sound to start with but keep plucking away

as you pluck with your plucking hand, very slowly start to increase the pressure with the fretting finger

intially you should have a dampened note sound - as you slowly press the string towards the fretboard it will eventually make contact with one or more frets and will start to buzz and rattle

keep very slowly increasing the pressure with the fretting finger and listen to the buzzing and rattling slowly change as you increase the pressure

eventually as you increase the pressure you will reach a point where the string is fretted and is giving a clean sounding note with no buzz or rattle

keep trying this and get your brain hand coordination used to the idea of just how little effort you actually need to apply with your fretting fingertips

once you got the hang of it then consider how that force compares with what you might have originally thought was needed

i know it flies in the opinion of a lot of other basschatters but i am very strongly opposed to gripmasters for guitar playing and i know the topic comes up very frequently on here and draws quite a bit of 'heated discussion'

imho if you are able to go about all your normal daily functions doing all the sorts of regular things that four fingers and an opposable thumb grip are routinely expected to do, and you can accomplish these things in your stride and dont have any physical disability or impediment, then you will have ample strength in your fretting hand and do not need to exercise it with the gripmaster to inflict some sort of vice like death grip on your bass neck and strings

its more to do with agility dexterity and coordination than brute force :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Great post !!

Good to know that I am not alone in my opposition to grip devices with regards to bass playing.

It's all good. I can also recommend Gary Willis's excellent book '101 Bass Tips - stuff all the pros know and use' which comes with 64 demo tracks on CD. A little gold mine of information it is, and at only nine quid with free delivery is a no-brainer. :)

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/101-Bass-Tips-Gary-Willis/dp/0634017470"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/101-Bass-Tips-Gary-Willis/dp/0634017470[/url]

I have no affiliation to, or connection with Amazon, the egregious tax-evaders. :D

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1333875570' post='1607521']

Good to know that I am not alone in my opposition to grip devices with regards to bass playing.
[/quote]

thanks - and to comment further on some of the previous posts where a couple of peeps said they used it for stamina rather than strength again i appreciate that they might find their own stamina improved but would suggest that for the OP this is really not an issue as he is just starting out - he's not going to be expected to play a two hour set next week of relentless speed metal hemi-semi-demi-quavers - and steady practice over time will develop the sufficient strength to do whatever he is aiming

there is a place for strength training with regards to bass playing but its nothing to do with the fingers and forearms!

anyone who reaches a certain age such as myself will know all too well the trials and tribulations of standing on a stage with a lump of wood slung over your shoulder - moderate strength maintenance work of core muscles of the back and stomach is undoubtedly of assistance with posture and stamina for standing for prolonged periods on a stage :lol:

[quote name='i play in N #' timestamp='1333766413' post='1606287']
ive got a 3rd finger that i cant really control to well, so ive had to adapt , but hey, i can play a little :D its been like this with anything i do, and isnt down to a bad technique, it kinda moves when i move my index finger
[/quote]

Same here. My first and middle fingers are fine. If I discount my ring finger I can use my little finger ok but most of the time my ring and little fingers just move together. I'm currently trying to practice scales with one finger per fret just to try and get some control over it. (I did watch the one finger per fret video above and think it's sound advice btw. I just want to do this exercise to help with control over my fingers!)

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1333971442' post='1608845']
Same here. My first and middle fingers are fine. If I discount my ring finger I can use my little finger ok but most of the time my ring and little fingers just move together. I'm currently trying to practice scales with one finger per fret just to try and get some control over it. (I did watch the one finger per fret video above and think it's sound advice btw. I just want to do this exercise to help with control over my fingers!)
[/quote]

i wonder how much of this is caused by starting out solely on bass rather than progressing across from six string? i can see this would be an issue if you were a young novice bass player never played a six string and were picking up habits from bass players you might have watched or inspire you?

my first guitar was a nylon strung classical and i taught myself using classical tuition books with the left/right hand 1234/pima thing so using all four fingers on each hand was never a problem when i moved across to bass

[quote name='jonsmith' timestamp='1333817863' post='1606976']
You've obviously never played a bass like my first one!
[/quote]

Unless your action is a foot off the fretboard and you are using cables instead of strings, (!!), then all basses are the same. Granted, some strength and stamina may be needed to endure a heavy bass strung over your shoulder for a two hour set, but presently we are talking merely about fretting a string.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1334045479' post='1609899']
Not sure I can agree with you there, old chap. :D
[/quote]

I mean as far as fretting a string is concerned. You still have to press down on a string to get a note, no matter if your bass costs 50 or 5000 pounds. ;)

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1334053669' post='1610067']
Thank God! I'm really not in the mood for an argument today. :) ;)
[/quote]
Oh, go on..! Surely, just a short burst..? Can't be tempted..? Really..? Sigh..! Life's so full of disappointments...

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1334053839' post='1610071']
+1 to the Gripmaster/Fretmaster for building strength. A little trick I borrowed when I damaged the nerves in my right arm, very useful.
[/quote]

There is no doubt but that it builds strength......the wrong type for playing bass though. I'm sure it is useful in the situation you describe.