Why become a member? ×

Check out Rockschool's new Bass Syllabus

dave31kdrums

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The guys at Rockschool have just launched their Version four syllabus which features new tracks recorded by [/font][/size][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Henry Thomas (Van Morrison, Paul Weller, Cliff Richard and George Michael) and Dave Marks ( Gareth Gates, Paul Carrick, Carl Palmer Band and the Thriller Live show ). Check out [/font][/size][i][font=Arial][size=1][url="http://www.rockschool.co.uk/2012syllabus"]www.rockschool.co.uk/2012syllabus[/url] [/size][/font][/i] [size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]out to find out more. [/font][/size]

Ahh, something I know about.

1) Test can be booked my post or online at the rockschool site.
2)The old sylabus is still valid for about 9 months (the 'old' books can be used up to the first exam period in 2013).
3)Henry Thomas, Deidre Cartwright and I think the Keyboard player from series 2 of the TV show, all performed on the last set of books (and wrote some of the pieces). So far this time, I've only seen evidence of Henry Thomas being involved.
4) Random fact as of today: Stuart Clayton (bassline publishing) composed and played bass on at least one track on the new sylabus; King Thumb (or Thumb King) is Mark King inspired 16th note mute fest for Grade 7.
5)You can just use the books and teach yourself/someone else...I've self taught my way through grades 1-7 over the past three years.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1333367145' post='1600559'] Cheers. The daughter says Blargggg . she thought playing the bass was going to count as schoolwork without a test :lol: :lol: :yarr: :yarr: Edit another daft question. Does this mean the books in my local store are out of date? [/quote]

The present books are valid until the end of I believe period B in 2013. The new ones are out May 1st so probably best to wait til then and they'll be valid for years. You can also apply online now.

• 2 months later...

I enjoyed the Rock School exams.
I went straight in and did Grade 6 and then Grade 8 a few months later.
What was quite amusing on my part was that a couple of weeks before my Grade 8 exam Rockschool contacted me and asked if I fancied doing a mock exam about a week beforehand as they wanted to get some promotional photographs of candidates playing etc..
I'd get a proper exam, assessment and results but wouldn't count for anything as I'd being doing the exam "properly" at a later date.
I said yes, there's no harm in a practice run.
In the mock I obtained a Merit and in the actual exam I got a Distinction.
What interested me was the fact that I thought I played better in the mock.

I think I was the last candidate on the mock day and the photographer said to me afterwards that it was a pleasant change to have someone doing a higher grade as most of the people's exam he'd had to sit through were doing Grade 1 drums.

I've managed to earmark some time to do the RGT grade 8 later this year and also thought I'd give Piano grade 3 and Music Theory Grade 5 at the same time too.
I like the idea of exams as I'm rarely at home long enough to dedicate time to regular rehearsals and gigging so it gives me something to aim and practice for.