Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

'73 4001 - no longer for sale.

Stacker

It is as good a time as any to sell, the price peak is over, with values heading quickly back towards more realistic prices, even the e.bayer dreamers are feeling the drop, this is normal on Ricks they do have these sudden peaks in price linked to crazes.

[quote name='vax2002' timestamp='1334229136' post='1612810']
It is as good a time as any to sell, the price peak is over, with values heading quickly back towards more realistic prices, [b]even the e.bayer dreamers are feeling the drop,[/b] this is normal on Ricks they do have these sudden peaks in price linked to crazes.
[/quote]

Try telling that to Newkingsroadvintage!! :D

I would flea bay it, they are still folk out there that have not cottoned on to the fact that the price bubble has burst on Ricks, have a last laugh and make a few quid out of an "old friend".

Same goes for anyone, get it sold now if you want once last grab at these stupid prices, but be quick, what was shifting on flea bay at, £1300 for rickenbacker 4003 is now struggling to make 4 figures within a month, it has to be the fastest price drop in history, funny enough it is often linked to someones big mouth over in the USA (not mentioning names)

Edited by vax2002

Lets face it, you dont buy a rickenbacker to play, you buy them because they can peak in value and you can make a few quid.
residual values are £650-£950 for standard 70'-80s 4001 £1100-£1300 for horseshoe versions or check binding
and £700-£900 for rickenbacker 4003 depending on colour scheme with rare versions sitting at the top and commanding a 20% premium.
Any price that is selling above this is not an investment and you will ultimately loose money.
So as it rides, yours is still a good investment.

Edited by vax2002

Peak in value? The only ones that I thought would do that were my 4001 CS and the 660DCM. The rest I bought to play, though their finishing and QC can be sloppy. Couple that with John Yaawwn's behaviour and I suddenly have no need for them any more. Simples!

Ive bought three Rics and all of them ive bought to play. Sadly one is now no longer with me due to poor finishing (paint starting coming away at the bridge, and it was brand new) but the other two are working basses that are absolute keepers.

This bass is still a barg at this price IMO. :)

[quote name='Stag' timestamp='1334240991' post='1613086']
Ive bought three Rics and all of them ive bought to play. Sadly one is now no longer with me due to poor finishing (paint starting coming away at the bridge, and it was brand new) but the other two are working basses that are absolute keepers.
. :)
[/quote]

was this a jetglow by any chance, have heard several reports of problems with the finish lifting on new jetglows

[quote name='vax2002' timestamp='1334239054' post='1613040']
Lets face it, you dont buy a rickenbacker to play, you buy them because they can peak in value and you can make a few quid.

[/quote]

:blink: Yeah, that's why I've been playing them for over 30 years....if my Fireglo '72 was worth 50p it'd still be my favourite of the thousands of basses that I've played.

Anyway, great price Donny & best of luck with the sale.

[quote name='vax2002' timestamp='1334240549' post='1613076']
Even with finish poor and condition worn your 4001 books in at todays price of £1345, so someone is going to grab a bargain.
[/quote]

'..finish poor'? What's poor about it?

Should add to this thread that I recently bought Donny's v63 and can highly recommend him as a guy to deal with. If I had the cash I'd have had the 4001 also, but even I can't justify two nearly identical basses (can I?). There's been a bit of Ric bashing on BC recently, possibly resulting from the absolutely daft prices a few guys on here seem to believe they can charge for a used still in production instrument, and perhaps that's knocked this thread a little? Either way you look at it though, this bass is a steal.

C

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1334605012' post='1618480']
Should add to this thread that I recently bought Donny's v63 and can highly recommend him as a guy to deal with. If I had the cash I'd have had the 4001 also, but even I can't justify two nearly identical basses (can I?). There's been a bit of Ric bashing on BC recently, possibly resulting from the absolutely daft prices a few guys on here seem to believe they can charge for a used still in production instrument, and perhaps that's knocked this thread a little? Either way you look at it though, this bass is a steal.

C
[/quote]
you should just buy the other one too! :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1334605124' post='1618485']
you should just buy the other one too! :)
[/quote]

To be honest I wish I could. It has a hors hoe and a toaster for f***'s sake. Given how well set up and looked after Donny's v63 was, I imagine it's a pretty decent player also. However, I am currently trying to sell a load of studio gear to repay what I spent on the v63 so...........

Music shops are struggling to shift them as well, my local has had a jetglow for nearly a year now and the guy says he looks like loosing money on it, he's tried e.bay several times and he says £1250 would shift it out, which is not bad for a brand new one.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1334605012' post='1618480']

C
[/quote]

Thanx, Chris. Let me state, though, that I still like the 4000 series basses, even after the imperfect models I've owned in the past. I just got really annoyed with that arsehole JH recently and, well, youse all know the rest. There's a history of the man threatening people and being downright rude and [i]that's[/i] the main reason for me punting the Ricks

The remaining 4001 does sound rather like the V63 but is a bit softer in resonance. It had 40 watchers on evilbay and nobody bit, which surprised me. Anyway, [b]final price drop to £850 in mainland UK freight.[/b]

Aargh, if I had known you would go this low on price I would proably have gone for this rather than Beedster's look-alike Gherson faker (no disrespect to the latter as it's a nice bass .... but it's not the real McCoy). Have a bump on me!

Edited by Clarky