Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

'73 4001 - no longer for sale.

Stacker

You asked for an offer, you got one of £650 which is where I value it.
You acuse me of been the reason why you can not sell the bass, Yes I have control over all the minds of the 4 million e.bayers.
Then your next question, to which you threw the teddy over, Why I described the bass finish as poor.

Firstly, the Finish, it does not have one, somebody has sanded it all off, to restore its value it would need to be re-finished back to jetglow.
Attacking a Rick with a sander does not make it a mapleglow, they only select the finest grain basses to be mapleglow, then it also leaves the bass with an incorrect date and colour code, also effecting "value"
Then we move on to the features, it has few original features, the pick up has been changed, the horseshoe is an e.bay add on, the toaster could be periodic ? , the bass has extra screws in the bridge, again non standard and deeming from a value prospective.
The inlay in the neck is lifting, this is a sign the rod is pressing on it.

Then we move on to the Bass needs a complete re-fret, on a bass with edge neck binding and over fret lacquer, this is an expensive process.

So I have answered the questions you "demanded" answers to, so you can now run to the Mods with yet ANOTHER complaint.
Quite frankly I dont care, let them ban me, if speaking the truth is a forum crime, then I am guilty as charged.
You were asked for offers, I made one, you wanted £850 I offered £650 to open negotiations, you flew off the handle we could have met around £775>
But alas out went the baby with the bath water.

Of course, there will be no end of "chums" along to state how wrong I am and your bass is in fact the best 1973 Jetglow on sale.

Edited by vax2002

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1335040142' post='1625180']
vax2002

You're posting a lot on this forum and slagging Rick prices; you have also slagged off the condition of this bass without seeing it. Please don't post on any of my threads again, fella: I'm trying to sell this bass without a troll f***ing it up.
[/quote]

+1. He does seem to be on a one man, anti-Rickenbacker crusade!

IMO this looks a lovely bass, at a bargain price. I wish I could afford / justify another Ric :)

Edited by simon1964

As the Boss said in Cool Hand Luke; "What we have here is a faliure to communicate....."

To be fair to vax2002 he makes some valid points, and this is definitely what the trade euphemistically call a "player's bass" - which is great as alomost everyone on this forum IS a player (rather than collector); I've bought and sold many such basses here.

Given an all-original '73 4001 would go around the £2K mark, the rather drastic rule of thumb of re-fin halves value easily makes this worth a grand even allowing for a re-fret, and I'd have this in a heartbeat for asking price.

Having modded a 4003FL (now chez Beedster) I know the pickups alone cost would cost £400 - and that's for a reissue toaster whereas this is proper vintage. The horseshoe bridge p/up is a hugely desirable mod; this is not only near CS model spec but a proper 40 year old Ric.

Donny's an ace guy to deal with too - had my early '73 chequerboard/plexi FG 4001 off him and loving it.

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1335040142' post='1625180']
vax2002

You're posting a lot on this forum and slagging Rick prices; you have also slagged off the condition of this bass without seeing it. Please don't post on any of my threads again, fella: I'm trying to sell this bass without a troll f***ing it up.
[/quote]

+1

what are you on vax2002? I just ask because Stacker is a good and trusted guy around here - and I'm pretty sure I can trust his descriptions and the care he takes of his basses.
Also he has an item, he's asking an amount for it- which isn't much, if you want to pay that do so.
If you don't why don't you piss off and use ebay and buy whatever your £650 will get you there?

Beyond that I don't give a monkeys about you opinion on ricks, I have no idea who you are and if I wanted someone on here to have a look at some photos of a bass in another country to myself and give a valuation based on that there are plenty of great people on here who are rickenbacker experts- hey I know for a fact Stacker knows his stuff too, and hell he even has the bass at hand to look at. As we would say up here, hold yer whesht

when I said 'make me an offer', I didn't expect an insulting one at £650.

Shaggy's evaluation of this bass is spot-on and I have reduced it to a stupid price. I'm almost now tempted to keep it an ship it to Jimmy Moon for the refret and get it refinished in white. So, let's take a vote:-
[list]
[*]Sell her at a stupidly low price
[*]Get her refretted and refinned
[/list]
Go for it, guys; make a decision for me.

No question, get it refretted and refinished. Put it this way, if I bought it off you at this extremely low price I would a) get it refretted and b ) refinned in jetglo. It would then be an extremely fine THIRTY NINE yr old bass.

Edited by Cairobill