Why become a member? ×

My new Bryant -

FLoydElgar

My Bryant -
[attachment=103308:bass.jpeg]

with classic Italian styling, good for Arco work, jazz, or general gigging. Compact and easy to transport, but with a big sound, fitted with an adjustable bridge, a very versatile bass at a very modest price, just what you may be looking for. The sides, back, and head are of medium figured maple, the front is of medium grain Sitka spruce, the bass is covered with a red-brown oil varnish. Length of back 43in. string stop 41in

Hey guys, There was 4 too choose from... one 5 string, one soloist, a John Lott model that sounded amazing!, flatback parnormo and anoter soloistt in the making!

For me The Lott and Soloist were winners... but all of them sounded great! From the moment I picked the Soloist up I had a good feeling about it. I then tried the Lott, but found it to be a bit big for me to get around on!
I needed something that I could feel comfortable on, easy too fly around, a big sound for orchestral stuff and not too big...
I walked out with a the Soloist model...!!! However I would have taken the Lott as my tutor made it sing so beautifully... And it had only been strung 2 weeks ago! so very promising!

Paul is a great guy and worth every penny to meet and play his instruments!

its opening up already!!

Congratulations on your new bass - I nearly bought that very one myself!

I went down to see Paul a couple of weeks ago, really nice guy who obviously loves what he does and produces excellent hand-made English Double Basses for a very reasonable price... I don't think he had the Lott when I was there but I tried the Panormo and the Solo. The Solo was lovely, well finished and with the Bel Canto strings on it sounded sweet. It's a very compact bass and felt comfortable, but just a little too small for me...

He's a snap of Paul, myself and said bass...

[attachment=103593:paul_bryant.jpg]

Hope it gives you many years of satisfaction - enjoy :)

Glad to hear you sorted your Bryant Floyd...

We should start a Bryant CLUB...just kidding. I love the soloist. I had a similar experience. First taking away a large flatback out on approval then deciding on the solo bass. Beautiful things!

Edited by Cairobill

Hi Floyd - I did walk away with a bass that day (only on approval, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for it) - but it's not a Bryant... The other stop the day I saw Paul was at Thomas Martins in Banbury to see George. I ended up taking a 2011 Concert 3/4 model on approval!

Here's a snap of their bass room, literally overflowing

[attachment=103617:Martins_Bass_Room.jpg]

and here's a picture of me back home (it was a long day and lots of driving, explains why I look so knackered) with the Martin bass :)

[attachment=103618:Martin_Concert.jpg]

Hi Marvin

I'd certainly recommend a visit - George is a great guy and more than happy to show you around their set-up and answer any questions you may have. Whilst I was there he changed the strings twice on the bass and adjusted the bridge for me.

In terms of trying other basses I only had a go on the 4/4 Concert Model (which I found was too big for me) - the rest were way to expensive for me, so there was little point it trying them - he did point out one old bass in the bass room that was for sale at £250K!

Once I've spent a bit more time with the bass and had a few more lessons I'll be in a better position to review it. My tutor Pete Willmott thought it was a good bass and he made it sound great.

I'll be over in Northern Ireland at the beginning of June - got a couple of gigs with the big band :) - How near Larne or Bangor ar you?

Hi JW
I hope to get to Banbury before June but if I don't I'll certainly try and make the trip to hear your big band and perhaps get a look at your bass providing I'm not gigging myself. Larne is at the other end of the provence . I live in the NorthWest. Where and when are you playing? I sure would have been curious to have a go on that bass at 250k. Keep us posted on your progress with your new bass. Enjoy.

I'm going down to see George again next week for some final tweaks to the set-up, to get a pick-up installed and to pay for it (gulp!).

Unfortunately I'm not using it with the big band just yet, not quite ready to inflict my DB playing on the unsuspecting public ;) I'll be using my Overwater Evolution 5 for the 'tour'. Dates and info are on our website - [url="http://swingshiftbigband.co.uk"]www.swingshiftbigband.co.uk[/url] more info about the band is also available on our [url="https://www.facebook.com/swingshiftbigband.co.uk"]facebook page[/url]

All I know is that so far I'm loving play DB, wish I'd taken the plunge years ago :)

When jwb came to see me a few weeks ago he brought down his MESA to try. Apart from the weight, it's a very impressive amp. It gave a very nice tight sound without any boominess in the lower frequencies. Definitely one to consider; anyone else tried it with DB?

I did a freebie last week at the local church. They were having a music night and a family, mum, dad and three kids all trooped in with instruments. Mum took out a brand new double bass - you could smell the oil on it still. It was a Martin, three weeks old. George must be banging them out at a fair rate right now.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1333023788' post='1596294']
When jwb came to see me a few weeks ago he brought down his MESA to try. Apart from the weight, it's a very impressive amp. It gave a very nice tight sound without any boominess in the lower frequencies. Definitely one to consider; anyone else tried it with DB?[/quote]

Yes, I use one for the very reasons you mention. The parametric eq on it works wonders for taming rooms and boominess. Ther're not the lightest thing but for the size/weight they really pack a punch and can get loud. I used to use an AI Focus with Aggie GS112(s) for DB but now use that rig for electric and the Mesa for DB.

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1333024596' post='1596308']
Yes, I use one for the very reasons you mention. The parametric eq on it works wonders for taming rooms and boominess. Ther're not the lightest thing but for the size/weight they really pack a punch and can get loud. I used to use an AI Focus with Aggie GS112(s) for DB but now use that rig for electric and the Mesa for DB.
[/quote]

I suppose you could rig it so the amp is removed from the speaker and split the overall weight. I used to say that the lightness of a speaker/combo was secondary to a good sound but I was a lot younger - and fitter - then.