Why become a member? ×

Songs we can't play any more

spinynorman

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1332763928' post='1592657']
Can't wait for that! :) This has got me trying to think of songs about hideous industrial accidents.
The only one I can come up with is 'Big Bad John' ...I suppose there are several others about mining disasters as well.
But they might all be a bit too PC for this thread. ;)
[/quote]

"John Henry" - silly bugg3r blew his heart out trying to compete with a steam driven machine laying railway tracks.

[quote name='burgundymouse' timestamp='1332793862' post='1593296']
I was in a band that cut the second verse of Money for Nothing (faggots in earrings and make up) but we did a storming rendition of Immigrant Song about the Viking Hordes being your overlords.
[/quote]

To be fair though there was never a comic called 'Astrix the faggot'

One song that troubles me that we do ( very well ,as it happens <_< ) is Poisons , Every Rose has its Thorn ......

I have to say that having recently done some research, I have planted a Zephrine Drouhin and can categorically state that it is a climbing rose which has no thorns :o

I am worried that one day our fans will see right through us , should we put a disclaimer at the start of the set stating that the opinions of the songwriters do not necessarily reflect the the views of the band :lol:

Having said that, I really think that they SHOULD fear the reaper :gas:

Edited by lurksalot

Horses for courses and know you audience/venue. As an old folkie I probably know more questionable songs than most but there is a time and place to sing, for example, "Fields of Athenrey" and it's NOT in most pubs in Govan! I still have nightmares about a Paddy's Day gig where the audience split 50/50 Catholic/Protestant. Fortunately there was chicken wire across the front of the stage!

Steve

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1332762967' post='1592638']
If so, we have enough suggestions in this thread for a 10-minute set - how shall we fill the other 50? :lol:
[/quote]

Do what my singer's old band did back in the early 80s when they were booked for a 40 minute slot at the Skunx Club in Islington. They only had three songs so he came up with the brilliant plan of starting a fight after the third song. It worked like a charm and there was a full scale riot in the place with the police being called. Gig was cancelled and they got away with their credibility (partially) intact.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1332798621' post='1593421']
One song that troubles me that we do ( very well ,as it happens <_< ) is Poisons , Every Rose has its Thorn ......

I have to say that having recently done some research, I have planted a Zephrine Drouhin and can categorically state that it is a climbing rose which has no thorns :o

I am worried that one day our fans will see right through us , should we put a disclaimer at the start of the set stating that the opinions of the songwriters do not necessarily reflect the the views of the band :lol:

Having said that, I really think that they SHOULD fear the reaper :gas:
[/quote]

:)