Why become a member? ×

To buy, or not to buy....

Evil Undead

I was in town this afternoon, and I saw an Ibanez SR506 in a pawn shop.

I tried it out and it played great, very low action, nice straight neck, electrics all seemed to work ok. Bit of denting on the body that these models are notorious for, that doesn't bother me.

They said that I can have it for £249 if I'm interested - seems like one of those too good to be true deals. Although I have to take into account that it will need a new set of strings, so that will take the price up to £300. I'm a bit skint but it's payday today ;)

I'm a bit hesitant as I have never owned a 6 string, but I was impressed.

So, is it a good deal? Should I go for it? I'd love to hear some thoughts.

[quote name='fender73' timestamp='1332535502' post='1589865']
Elixirs?? you must be rich! :D
[/quote]

If only! Just about getting by from one month to the next mate. But, I don't smoke, don't go out on the town... bass is my only hobby and the only thing I really spend any money on :)

my Peavey Grind 6 has a set of Elixirs on it at the mo put on by the previous owner so it'll be interesting to see how many gigs and rehearsals they last before they need changing.They will subsequnetly be changed for Warwick Reds though.

Good luck with the bass, my advice, go for it!

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1332537031' post='1589883']
If it's a pawn shop, I reckon you could haggle the price down a bit more. ;)
[/quote]

That was with my haggling :) it was £350 a while back but wasn't selling because they wanted too much. So they knocked it down to £280, and I beat them down to £250.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1332573648' post='1590138']
Tell them you'll give them the cash there and then for £230. If they say no... walk out. Come back after after 10 minutes and say you've changed your mind and will take it for £250?
[/quote]

This, but make it £130 :ph34r:

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1332573648' post='1590138']
Tell them you'll give them the cash there and then for £230. If they say no... walk out. Come back after after 10 minutes and say you've changed your mind and will take it for £250?
[/quote]

So £250 isn't really a good price?

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1332575058' post='1590145']
So £250 isn't really a good price?
[/quote]

It probably is but the idea is that by heading to the door they get nervous and will take you a bit more seriously. It's happened to me before and I got called back and got my price rather than theirs. I don't know the actual value of the instrument but it's been sat there a while and they're happy to settle at £250 so why wouldn't they be happy to settle at £230 :P

It's your call at the end of the day, just trying to get another £20 off for ya. Use the argument that it needs new strings and a full luthier setup. Use long words too. Tell them it's got bad intonation infact and it's going to take a bit of money to fix that too ;)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1332575930' post='1590151']
Use the argument that it needs ... a full luthier setup.
[/quote]

...and of course because there are 50% more strings than a standard bass, that'll be half as expensive again!

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1332578887' post='1590187']
I would only buy it if you're fairly sure that you'll use. I don't think there's a [i]massive[/i] market for 2nd hand 6s.
[/quote]

A good point. There's not a massive market for much at the moment!

I'd push hard for a deal, [i]on your terms[/i]...