Why become a member? ×

To buy, or not to buy....

Evil Undead

I bought it this morning. Brought it home, played it for a while, really pleased as it sounded nice and played wonderfully.

Then I thought I'd give it a bit of a set up and change the strings. Always a good idea to try the truss rod first so I did - one didn't budge a millimetre and the other just freewheeled. Bah.

I also noticed when I was fixing one of the pots that there's a barely visible crack about 2 inches long by the treble control - goes right through to the cavity. Another bah.

So, I've taken it back and been refunded.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1332602680' post='1590570']
Happy ending ,then! Plus,if it was Cash Converters you'd have probably ended up meeting the person it was nicked off..
[/quote]

Well... we'll see. I regret paying by card in a way - I usually do so there's something traceable, but I always get a bit concerned that refunds won't go back on to my card properly. Would rather have the cash in my hand.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1332630485' post='1591060']
That's a pity. At least you got a refund though. I wonder if they'll just put it back up for sale - did you tell them it was buggered?
[/quote]

Yeah I told them everything I'd discovered. Ha, the sales kid said he could get everything fixed for me under the warranty until I explained that would cost a good bit more than I'd paid for the bass!

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1332656441' post='1591154']

Yeah I told them everything I'd discovered. Ha, the sales kid said he could get everything fixed for me under the warranty until I explained that would cost a good bit more than I'd paid for the bass!
[/quote]

Should have let them get on with it

Nah. They would only have stuck it in the back room for a couple of weeks and tried to palm it off as being fixed.

I had to laugh - when I told the kid that there was a problem with the truss rods, he started visually examining the truss rod cover - for ages, until I pointed out that the rods were inside the neck. He went so red. Clearly didn't have a clue.

I don't think I'll buy a second hand bass again after this. Long line of bad experiences.

Ouch - but glad they took it straight back. No wonder he's going red - it's not just that he couldn't work the truss rod, but someone has taken in a broken item... write off time, if they were playing straight. Wonder if they'll just put it back on sale?

2 things here raise an eyebrow

[quote name='Rowley Birkin QC' timestamp='1332541708' post='1589975']
Ah well, it seems there's lots of people on here with more ambition than cash....they ask for a deal.........I agree..........they still don't buy it!

Window shoppers!
[/quote] this

2. I am surprised they took it back , most second hand / pawn shops I have dealt with are sold as seen , used, and unwarrantied.

caveat emptor or something like , any product is only worth to you what you are prepared to pay for it, why negotiate a price if you are not prepared to pay it then and there ?