Why become a member? ×

Dingwall - anyone not like them?

Sean

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1332439865' post='1588471']
Just to be clear; the fanned frets make the bass sound more 'in-tune' across the whole fingerboard (better than the Buzz Feiten affair)?

If so doesn't that make the guitarists appear even MORE out of tune than they frequently are! :o

;)
[/quote]

Increased harmonicity is a side benefit of longer scale lengths and well designed strings but the main reason we use the fanned fret system, dual density bodies, asymmetric pickup coils etc is to get as close to a perfect match from string to string - both in tone and tension as possible.

Here's the number one reason for what we do. Think of all the concerts you've been to where the bass can be heard overall but many or most of the notes the bass player is playing are just not heard. The more similar the tone of each string the more effectively you can EQ for the room. Add to that the clarity that the longer scale adds to the lows and you have the power to move an audience.

On first play it's easy to miss the benefits of more equal tension but the ability to use the same attack and dynamic expression on all strings including the B is amazing. When I demo our basses and see the player using dynamics I ask them to exagerate their dynamics a little, playing lightly for a warm and round tone to really digging in and making it snarl and bark. In every case their eyes open wide when they see how much expression they can use. It's like a whole new world opens up.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1332440840' post='1588492']

Is that why he's doing adverts and clinics for Warwick? :P
[/quote]

I get that question a lot. The reality is Lee plays for so many different artists one instrument can't begin to cover every gig he does. This speaks to the OP. My recomendation is that if you can afford to keep your old basses, keep them. I know I've sold instruments in the past and regretted it. If after a while they or even your Dingwall is gathering dust, sell.

The post directly above was regarding the metal question.

To those who tried one but didnt care for the tone, we can't possibly please everyone. Thanks for trying with an open mind though. You have my respect.

Does anyone have any input on their experience between playing alone in a music store and in a group setting? I'm not looking for hype or praise just honest feedback.

[quote name='Sheldon Dingwall' timestamp='1332574811' post='1590143']
...Increased harmonicity is a side benefit of longer scale lengths and well designed strings but the main reason we use the fanned fret system, dual density bodies, asymmetric pickup coils etc is to get as close to a perfect match from string to string - both in tone and tension as possible.... ...[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]On first play it's easy to miss the benefits of more equal tension but the ability to use the same attack and dynamic expression on all strings including the B is amazing...[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Thanks for articulating this. I was trying to explain it to someone and could only come up with, '...it's like... a harp. Or a grand piano...' which was not particularly helpful. :D

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1332588635' post='1590327']
...there is something Apple about them, a kind of pious attitude about those who don't use them that really puts me off.
[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean mate, and I felt the same -
but now all that remains for me is to somehow get enough cabbage to buy one!

Edited by discreet

Sure.. like that never happens with Fenders/Musicmans :) But you're right, there is a touch of the Apple "Fanboi" syndrome we should try and keep in check....

I still need to go over to Grand Wazoo's house and try his one but there is something Apple about them, a kind of pious attitude about those who don't use them that really puts me off.
[/quote]

Just out of curiosity - a question for the fanned fret players out there, and I apologise if it is slightly off topic. I've been pondering for a while about what happens to the pitch of a note when you bend a string (yes - this would be more applicable to a guitar than a bass) I mean is there a point up at the dusty end where the fanning is most extreme, where by bending a string down, and therefore effectively lengthening the scale, you can lower the pitch? Conversely I suppose by bending up you might be able to achieve some fairly extreme pitch shifts.

Or am I talking complete nonsense?

Just wonderin'

[quote name='Longmayyourun' timestamp='1332607677' post='1590671']
Just out of curiosity - a question for the fanned fret players out there, and I apologise if it is slightly off topic. I've been pondering for a while about what happens to the pitch of a note when you bend a string (yes - this would be more applicable to a guitar than a bass) I mean is there a point up at the dusty end where the fanning is most extreme, where by bending a string down, and therefore effectively lengthening the scale, you can lower the pitch? Conversely I suppose by bending up you might be able to achieve some fairly extreme pitch shifts.

Or am I talking complete nonsense?

Just wonderin'
[/quote]

What happens on a parallel fretted bass happens exactly the same on a fanned fretted one, either way you bend a string will always alter the pitch and not lower it, to achieve a dropped tone you can start to hit the note with the string already stretched (bent) to the desired pitch say a whole or half step up (2 frets or 1 fret, capish?) then bends it back to normal for the dropped tone effect but as long as you keep within the two frets the fact that these are slanted doesn't make a blind bit of difference as opposed to a standard bass or geetar.

OK, thanks. It just seemed to me that once you put the fret at an angle to the string, rather than square to it,then bending the string can introduce a significant change in the length of the string. If I make a string longer (at the same tension) I lower the pitch. If I stretch or tighten a string at the same length I raise the pitch. I imagined that if the angle of the fret were sufficiently extreme then the lengthening effect of bending the string downwards would overcome the tightening effect and result in an overall lowering of pitch.
Maybe I need to get out more

I still need to go over to Grand Wazoo's house and try his one but there is something Apple about them, a kind of pious attitude about those who don't use them that really puts me off.
[/quote]

Even though I like iPhone's and iPod's, I agree with what you are saying. Its nothing against the instrument or Dingwall, its just something I 'get' from reading about them.

More so with Fodera.

[quote name='Sheldon Dingwall' timestamp='1332576185' post='1590155']
The post directly above was regarding the metal question.
[/quote]

Sorry Sheldon, I was parodying Talkbass :)

I have no doubt they're very versatile instruments. I'd have hell on explaining to the band what the frets were about, and I'm not sure I'd trust a £2k with some of our punters, but I have no doubt they work very, very well :)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1332687290' post='1591616']
Even though I like iPhone's and iPod's, I agree with what you are saying. Its nothing against the instrument or Dingwall, its just something I 'get' from reading about them.

More so with Fodera.
[/quote]

But PC's are crap tho yeah? :D

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1332420104' post='1587997']

As much as I see the benefit of the design and as much as I love technology I think that the aesthetic of them is a major stumbling block for me.

[/quote]

Now that I've seen the 4-string Super P, I've changed my mind about the aesthetic. As far as I can see with an added J at the bridge, that would be a gamechanger for me (and no, I don't mean the MM pickup wiring trickery thing ;) )