Why become a member? ×

A clean bass makes a happy bass player!

Pinball

I got my 2nd bass guitar today. I'm on a budget having already spent a lot on lead guitars and amps in the last 3 months but I needed a decent bass. I snagged a bargain natural Schecter Diamond 4 Stiletto with EMG hz's on ebay "BIN" last week.

It arrived today. I unpacked it and sure enough it looked like it had been bought cheap BIN. I tried it out and I was kind of disappointed. It sounded good with a wider and clearer range of tones than my Peavey Zephyr but it also looked really dull, everything was dirty, strings had spots of rust and it had some loose bits. I don't think it had been played for ages because the jack failed to work on the first attempt so I shoved it in and out a couple of times and it now seems fine.

Anyway I couldn't enjoy playing it like that so I unplugged it and tightened up a loose pot and tuner nob, got the lemon oil on the fret board and got some polish on the body. What a difference it makes. The cleaning did wondered as some of the marks on the body that the seller had photographed simply polished off and the black fittings and diamond inlays on the fret board came to life.

I'm off to get some new strings at lunch time and can't wait to get down to playing tonight.

Much happier now! :D

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1332242914' post='1585291']
I god my 2nd bass guitar today. I'm on a budget having already spent a lot on lead guitars and amps in the last 3 months but I needed a decent bass. I snagged a bargain natural Schecter Diamond 4 Stiletto with EMG hz's on ebay "BIN" last week.

It arrived today. I unpacked it and sure enough it looked like it had been bought cheap BIN. I tried it out and I was kind of disappointed. It sounded good with a wider and clearer range of tones than my Peavey Zephyr but it also looked really dull, everything was dirty, strings had spots of rust and it had some loose bits. I don't think it had been played for ages because the jack failed to work on the first attempt so I shoved it in and out a couple of times and it now seems fine.

Anyway I couldn't enjoy playing it like that so I unplugged it and tightened up a loose pot and tuner nob, got the lemon oil on the fret board and got some polish on the body. What a difference it makes. The cleaning did wondered as some of the marks on the body that the seller had photographed simply polished off and the black fittings and diamond inlays on the fret board came to life.

I'm off to get some new strings at lunch time and can't wait to get down to playing tonight.

Much happier now! :D
[/quote]

It's true that a clean car goes faster!!!

I love getting basses like that though. You have this turd of a bass, neck all over the shop... and a hour or two later you have this amazing thing that is musically alive. :) I don't really care bout polish though, but a good set up :)

Yep the string set up on this one was to low for me to live with. All the notes were clear but I could hear a slight rattle all the way up the neck on the lower 3 strings. I like it fine now! I'm home recording so it matters.

The first thing I usually do when getting an new (or new second-hand) bass is lowering the string action for a little bit of "fret sound" in the tone ;)

But besides that, I couldn't agree more ... I always wipe my bass clean after rehearsal or gigs, give the body a good polish from time to time, and clean the fretboard with a little bit of lemon oil at each string change.

I don't care if my basses have some scratches, dings etc. ... Just shows they get played ;) But I just can't understand people dragging around a dirty bass that doesn't show any traces of maintenance over the last twenty-something years and make me want to wash my hands just after looking at it :D

Edited by ratking

Thanks, pic 3 has many of my favourite things in. A Guitar, a pinball backglass, Doug Watson art and a hot lady. The pin machine is based on the film Barb Wire starring Pam Anderson at the peak of her abilities. A rubbish film but worth watching for obvious reasons.