Why become a member? ×

Testing my boundries.

Quest_bikerider

As a newbie only been playing a short while I thought I would push the boat out a little (at least for me anyway ) & try & learn Norman Wot-Roy's classic bassline to "Hit me with your rythem stick" Ian Dury & The Blockheads. Iv allways wanted to have a crack at this. I must confess I have used utube & tab to work it out :unsure: (chastisement accepted :blush: ) & I think Iv got the main parts learnt, I think its mainly minor pentatonic scales, & its taken me a couple of days :unsure: . The problem is playing it at the right speed, @ 105 bpm plus the rythem, I think its a hard bassline to master. Would you agree, or should I be getting this? I'v tried playing along to the song but the intro starts so fast my fingures (left & right) are in knots by the end of the second bar. Just wonderd what is the best way to overcome this Iv tried playing to a metronome at a slower speed, I do find it quite hard to listen to the metronomes anoying click & playing, listening to the song gives me more clues as to whare Im suposed to be if this make sense,is this the right approach? Its not impossible is it? Any sugestions. :)

[quote name='Quest_bikerider' timestamp='1332228884' post='1584983']
As a newbie only been playing a short while I thought I would push the boat out a little (at least for me anyway ) & try & learn Norman Wot-Roy's classic bassline to "Hit me with your rythem stick" Ian Dury & The Blockheads. Iv allways wanted to have a crack at this. I must confess I have used utube & tab to work it out :unsure: (chastisement accepted :blush: ) & I think Iv got the main parts learnt, I think its mainly minor pentatonic scales, & its taken me a couple of days :unsure: . The problem is playing it at the right speed, @ 105 bpm plus the rythem, I think its a hard bassline to master. Would you agree, or should I be getting this? I'v tried playing along to the song but the intro starts so fast my fingures (left & right) are in knots by the end of the second bar. Just wonderd what is the best way to overcome this Iv tried playing to a metronome at a slower speed, I do find it quite hard to listen to the metronomes anoying click & playing, listening to the song gives me more clues as to whare Im suposed to be if this make sense,is this the right approach? Its not impossible is it? Any sugestions. :)
[/quote]

Don't feel bad, I've been playing 20 years and I cant play that - Norman is a veritable bass icon :ph34r: . When I'm learning new stuff I use a combination of Youtube, Tab and "ear". Just take it a part at a time, and when you're comfortable with it do the next bit. I also use Amplitube 3, both for the amp sims for practice and also as it will play MP3's and slow them whilst staying in pitch. One of the first basslines I learnt was "Phantom of th Opera" by Iron Maiden. Doesnt hurt to aim high.

[quote name='Quest_bikerider' timestamp='1332228884' post='1584983']
[/quote]

nothing wrong with youtube as a learning tool- i would recommend you check out [b]marloweDK[/b] he has a tutorial channel and a playalong channel which are both very good and there are also some lovely basschatters who have similar channels - apologies their names escape me at present but im sure someone will update :blush:

edit - was trying to think earlier of JakeBrownBass

Edited by steve-bbb

[size=5][sub]If you want to start slow and build up your speed, but really hate metronomes, there's another solution. I think there's a Tascam device which will slow down the tempo of a CD, but not the pitch. You can then build up the tempo as you feel comfortable. I read an interview with Bowie bassplayer Gail Ann Dorsey, who said she used one of these when learning to play and sing simultaneously on 'Under Pressure'. [/sub][/size]

Edited by Roland Rock

For difficult stuff I find it helps to break it down in to obvious short 'blocks'... and then start with an [u]end[/u] block, say, the last one in the verse or the last one in the chorus. Then learn the one previous to it so you're always playing into a part that you know.

This means you don't always get that 'aaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhh' feeling when you inevitably mess up - which then becomes very negative. I find this way gives positive reinforcement to what you've achieved.

Thanks for your encouragement. I figured if I can nail this I can pretty much nail anything & it is indeed a great bassline, I have heard this line played Live by Norman even faster than the oryginal recording & he really shows the effort involved, awsome. Im determined to get it right hopefully it wont take 20 years :D . A device that slows the rythem down without changing the pitch seems a fantastic practice tool to me, any further info on this would be greatfully received will look at amplitube as advised above.

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1332236628' post='1585106']
For difficult stuff I find it helps to break it down in to obvious short 'blocks'... and then start with an [u]end[/u] block, say, the last one in the verse or the last one in the chorus. Then learn the one previous to it so you're always playing into a part that you know.

This means you don't always get that 'aaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhh' feeling when you inevitably mess up - which then becomes very negative. I find this way gives positive reinforcement to what you've achieved.
[/quote]

I think this is a really good idea Im gonna incorporate this into my practice. many times I f*** things up at the end due to the fact I havnt learnt it properly. Cheers. :D

I don't see anything wrong with using youtube!

One thing you could do is use the program guitar pro as you can repeat certain sections and slow the tempo down - I'm sure there are other programs that do the same thing as well.

Good luck with it it is quick! I don't know how to play it though just a rough version of the main riff......

Nothing wrong with using tabs or youtube as long as you're also working other things out by ear. Do a search on "Ear training" and learn to identify intervals by their sound, that'll improve your ability to improvise no end and get you closer to just being able to play what you want without having to work it out first.

As for Rhythm Stick, it's just practice. I can play it full pelt when I've been playing a lot, when I've not had a chance to play anything for a while it's a struggle.

If you ever get to the point where you want to play it at a gig make sure you can play the line significantly faster than the original unless you really trust your band to get the tempo right ;)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1332239752' post='1585191']
I find the hard part is stopping my picking fingers from tripping over eachother. If you slow it down it will help a lot, then gradually build up the tempo.
[/quote]

Yup, it's the right hand that's the problem for me too.

It's one of those lines that demands a bit of attention to alternate fingers and raking, there's some interesting stuff here that might help:

[url="http://scottsbasslessons.com/technique/right-hand-technique-bass.html"]http://scottsbassles...nique-bass.html[/url]

Edit: These look useful too:

[url="http://scottsbasslessons.com/technique/build-speed-accuracy-on-the-bass-1.html"]http://scottsbasslessons.com/technique/build-speed-accuracy-on-the-bass-1.html[/url]

[url="http://scottsbasslessons.com/technique/build-speed-accuracy-on-the-bass-2.html"]http://scottsbasslessons.com/technique/build-speed-accuracy-on-the-bass-2.html[/url]

Good luck!

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1332233575' post='1585044']
[size=5][sub]If you want to start slow and build up your speed, but really hate metronomes, there's another solution. I think there's a Tascam device which will slow down the tempo of a CD, but not the pitch. You can then build up the tempo as you feel comfortable. I read an interview with Bowie bassplayer Gail Ann Dorsey, who said she used one of these when learning to play and sing simultaneously on 'Under Pressure'. [/sub][/size]
[/quote]

i know that windows media players does this with mp3's as ive used it forexactly this - probably other players too

[quote name='Quest_bikerider' timestamp='1332237561' post='1585133']
A device that slows the rythem down without changing the pitch seems a fantastic practice tool to me, any further info on this would be greatfully received will look at amplitube as advised above.
[/quote]

Here you go
[url="http://tascam.com/product/cd-gt2/"]http://tascam.com/product/cd-gt2/[/url]

You say you're a 'newbie'...how long have you been playing?
The thing with playing a consistent semi quaver pattern is to really focus on the alternation of your
picking fingers.There are a lot of players,myself included,that favour a particular finger(particularly
when string crossing)and it can makes things tougher when playing at higher tempos. Spend some time
concentrating on how your picking hand is working-it's easy to not bother about it after a while and concentrate
more on the fretting hand,but it's worth revisiting often.Also,try not to pluck the strings too hard.If you lighten
up a little,it can help increase your speed.

You don't need to use a metronome either-play the line at a comfortable tempo for you,or better yet,a little
slower and just play without worrying about the exact speed.Just make sure it's clean and accurate. Speed
will naturally develop the more you play.

You asked if you should be getting it....that really depends on what level your at now,and how you're playing.
It's certainly a cool bassline,but personally I don't think it's particularly difficult harmonically,and the tempo
is fine-I can comfortably play semi quavers all day at higher tempos than this. But that's just me,and where
I am right now. When I was still relatively new to the instrument a line like this was a challenge. It really comes
down to how often you play,and how and what you practice as to whether or nor you should be 'getting it'.

Honestly Iv been playing about 18 months which puts me in the newbie class I would say in the grand scheme of things. Iv taken a few lessons & i recon my right hand techneque after revewing seems to be sound ie alternate finguring up & raking down, but I take on board your comments & I probably pluck to hard which is probably slowing me down. I have found using a drum machine better than a metronome as I can hear the high hat tapping out the semi quaver rythem with practice I can play the hole bass line in the order of the song at about 80bpm all be it a bit sloppy, but I would rather play it at this speed accurately before increasing the tempo, its coming along, It will take time, but I am determined to get there. Its not Impossible is it? Thanks for comments very much appreciated :D